9533 replies to this topic

#5266 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hey, if anyone sees flying robots, can they shoot me a message? That would be of interest for me.

I made arugula salad with tandoori squid, sliced fennel, and lime vinaigrette. Dessert was hot chocolate and whipped cream.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#5267 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Saw in the paper that Christchurch is sending a team to the world leggo robotics in Missouri this year, iffen they can raise the funds :) (on short rations the last couple of years :P )

Great! World Championships for First Lego league, First Tech, & First Robotics are in St. Louis. We went last year.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5268 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Son much improved this morning, thank heavens for steroids.

I am still a bit wobbly, we haven'thad to get extra help for about 18 months, since we moved from the city to the coast, so it was a bit of a shock.

Easy day for everyone I think
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5269 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

Ok, so this whole getting up early on Saturdays thing? I could get used to this. I just discovered Bountiful Baskets which is a west(ish) food co-op thingy for fruits and veggies. I was super skeptical since there is so much I can't eat. (I'm still worried about spinach season.) For $15 I got two entire reusable shopping bags full of fruits and veggies. Bananas, lemons, strawberries, mangoes, lemons, lettuce, asparagus, bok choy, celery, radishes and green peppers. It is beyond my wildest expectations! I've never had bok choy, mostly because my mom never made it and I never got adventurous.

I'm mostly excited about the asparagus though because it is so damn expensive that I rarely have it, and I got three bunches! (The third one was for killing myself volunteering to separate the boxes of stuff into the baskets.) Heck, I could just have that for dinner and nothing else. I suppose though for the sake of my husband who abhors all things green besides lettuce that I should think up some sort of meat to go with it and maybe force a salad on him. If I poke around enough in the freezer I may find a pork chop. I think I'll just broil a mango for dessert.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5270 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Nice!!

That is a fantastic reason to get up and out early....and a terrific reason for a Saturday afternoon nap ;)

Dinner tonight will be talapia as I forgot I bought and needs to be eaten today....hmmm maybe ill buy a bit more so my piece is more fresh - men get yummy breading on theirs...I'll throw some fresh herbs atop mine -- "chips" for all - reg and sweet potato respectively.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5271 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

here you go, bunz - this is simona's recipe, i thought it was on this forum, but i can't find the link..  i use lactaid for the rice milk, sometimes sub flours, etc and if you omit the sugar, it will be savory.  the batter is pretty forgiving and this summer i am probably going to adjust it ever so slightly to make funnel cakes.  just fry in deeper oil.  (sometimes i feel like a chemist haha)

My gluten-free crepes (simona)

2 extra large eggs
11/2 cup rice milk
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup white rice
½ cup brown rice
½ cup tapioca starch
Oil for frying.

Mix everything together.

Heat up a 9" non-stick skillet on medium heat. Pure ½ of teaspoon (size of 1 dollar coin) of oil in middle of pan and spread it little be around the skillet. Pure 1/3 cup of mixture on one side of skillet and with the circular motion spread it around the skillet's bottom. Fry it for proximately 1-1 1/2 minutes, or until you will see pink border. Slowly turn the crepe on other side and fry for 30 seconds. Repeat with every crepe. From this amount you will make 8-9 crepes. 

Arlene- I was actually trying to convert Addy's cheese bread to being dairy and egg free,

but thank you for the recipe!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5272 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Wow Karen!

I hadn't been to a robotics comp for three years -- they are improving very quickly!!  My pics don't do it justice...here is a news piece on the San Diego match this weekend.

http://www.kpbs.org/...ying-pyramid-c/

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#5273 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

This past week was a food festival. Still avoiding high histamine foods, except for that margarita I just downed, but managed to eat out at 3 highly recommended gluten-free places: Bonefish Grill in VA, FL and 2 places in the Keys. Marker 88 and Chef Michael's.

Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with mango salsa

Herbed jasmine rice, asparagus

(I had that twice, it's so good)

Lightly battered and sauteed Yellowfin Tuna (caught just hours before) with fruit and coconut salsa

Black beans and rice

Freshly- caught Hogfish with a nutty crust and tropical fruit salsa

Thai spiced green beans (K !!, they have them as "haricot verts" on the menu  :P )

Buckwheat pancakes and (I could not resist) thick slab BACON (1 piece) 

and a mimosa.... okay, this was really a brunch, but the chef was so sweet about making those pancakes, I had to tell you guys.

Lamb Shanks (the size of a dog's leg) done in red wine, & herbs and falling off the bone

Garlic smashed with roasted veggies 

2 creme brulees, a gluten-free key lime pie slice made by the famous Key Lime pie guy (Chef Kermit)  of Key West and a key lime Baked Alaska. Not my fav--not a meringue fan.

No dieting going on here, obviously,but I have walked a mile everyday and that  dolphin swim counts for some caloric burn.

Just squeezing into the wet suit (which I imagine feels like those Spanx things on steroids) used up some calories.

Holy mama--peeling it off was a whole 'nuther experience. :lol:

No more desserts for me. That was just a "special week".  

Went through the Everglades--beautiful and wild. 

Mindwarp--hope your son is a-okay, sweets!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5274 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Bok choy is kinda like cabbage. Make sure you cook it fully though...

From wiki:

Toxic effects

Pak choi contains glucosinolates. These compounds have been reported to prevent cancer in small doses, but are toxic to humans in large doses. In 2009, an elderly woman who had been consuming 1 to 1.5 kg of raw Pak choi per day developed hypothyroidism, resulting in myxedema coma.[5] - However, one person is not statistically significant, it can be caused by other reasons as well.here are other milder symptoms from over-consumption of Pak choi, such as nausea, dizziness and indigestion in people with weaker digestive systems. Sometimes this is caused by not thoroughly cooking.

#5275 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Spent a wonderful morning with my boys -- perfect bluebird day -- made better by free lift tickets a friend of mine passed along to us.

Dinner is BBQ Chicken Breasts

Baby Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

Rice or Potato??

and one more try at my valentine cake pan with the heart in the middle...this time vanilla cake with my standard chocolate mousse as filling..I know that will set up nicely -- topped with fudge frosting -- may have to have a little taste!  If I'm not feeling lucky...I'll just eat the mousse :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5276 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Arlene- I was actually trying to convert Addy's cheese bread to being dairy and egg free,

but thank you for the recipe!

oops!  sorry  :)  maybe i should pay attention 

(la la la la lalaalaaaa........................  )

tonight it's greek chicken

potatoes, feta, onions & radicchio in tinfoil

ON THE GRILL!  YAYYYYYY!!!!  :D 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5277 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I poked around enough to find some burgers in the freezer to make tonight. I must have made an impression at some point on my husband because he texted me from work and asked if I could make butter and garlic roasted potatoes tonight. I know they're just lowly potatoes, but he asked for a vegetable! I also found a really simple roasted bok choy recipe I think I'll try. And I still have a few shrooms in the fridge so I think I may fry a few up for my burger.

I do have to be careful about cabbage already because of my stupid tyramine thing, so I am wary. I didn't react to small amounts of cabbage last I had it, but I am wary anyway since it is still technically a cabbage.

I discovered (or rather re-discovered) last night that paper has a certain temperature at which it catches fire. This is all very easily remembered through the title of a book which I love, Fahrenheit 451. Unfortunately for me and my fogginess, I decided to broil my mango on parchment paper for easy cleanup. Derp. Lets just call that oops. Hahaha! After about 2 minutes I was like omg is my mango burning already?!?! Nope, just the paper 2 seconds from catching fire. Brilliant move.

IH, it sounds like you are in food paradise and not just regular paradise! You know, if we all ignore the whole trying to get out of a wetsuit part. None of us envy that. :P

I wish I could grill. Sadly all efforts at sharing a grill have been for naught. I will have to find a way to get my own grill. That sounds yummy though!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5278 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

This past week was a food festival. Still avoiding high histamine foods, except for that margarita I just downed, but managed to eat out at 3 highly recommended gluten-free places: Bonefish Grill in VA, FL and 2 places in the Keys. Marker 88 and Chef Michael's.

Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with mango salsa

Herbed jasmine rice, asparagus

(I had that twice, it's so good)

Lightly battered and sauteed Yellowfin Tuna (caught just hours before) with fruit and coconut salsa

Black beans and rice

Freshly- caught Hogfish with a nutty crust and tropical fruit salsa

Thai spiced green beans (K !!, they have them as "haricot verts" on the menu  :P )

Buckwheat pancakes and (I could not resist) thick slab BACON (1 piece) 

and a mimosa.... okay, this was really a brunch, but the chef was so sweet about making those pancakes, I had to tell you guys.

Lamb Shanks (the size of a dog's leg) done in red wine, & herbs and falling off the bone

Garlic smashed with roasted veggies 

2 creme brulees, a gluten-free key lime pie slice made by the famous Key Lime pie guy (Chef Kermit)  of Key West and a key lime Baked Alaska. Not my fav--not a meringue fan.

No dieting going on here, obviously,but I have walked a mile everyday and that  dolphin swim counts for some caloric burn.

Just squeezing into the wet suit (which I imagine feels like those Spanx things on steroids) used up some calories.

Holy mama--peeling it off was a whole 'nuther experience. :lol:

No more desserts for me. That was just a "special week".  

Went through the Everglades--beautiful and wild. 

Mindwarp--hope your son is a-okay, sweets!

I really started to drool bad over the Key Lime Baked Alaska.  I really like meringue. Never heard of it with key lime but that'll work. This was an "oinky" fest, Irish, to use another's words.  :lol:   Wish I could be there....we could have had an eating contest.

I'm off to have some gingerbread and whipped cream.  Not quite Baked Alaska but it'll do....... ;)

#5279 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'm off to have some gingerbread and whipped cream.  Not quite Baked Alaska but it'll do....... ;)

Hell yes....gingerbread tomorrow...men will think it is Christmas again!  Thanks for the idea :D

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5280 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

I've thought this three times...so I am now posting...does L2T have a locator beacon or should we send S&R? 

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: