This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

I can't remember the last time we had nachos for supper. It's a brilliant idea that will get me in front of the TV and my beloved Doctor sooner. I should try it Saturday night when I know I won't feel up to cooking.

You could always eat dinner in front of the TV, especially with a meal like nachos, they are designed for sport games, which is normally in front of the TV.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

SMRI Collaborator

We ate at that amazing restaurant again last night :D.  They have a hot stone meal, kind of like fondue but using a hot stone to cook on instead of a broth or whatever.  The food there is just amazing.  I REALLY wish she would open more restaurants--with the next one in my town :D

I'm debating about cheating tonight for the last time.....going back to my alma matter and I would REALLY like just one more pizza from the local pizza place.....

IrishHeart Veteran

I would suggest no cheating, but that's just my opinion. But maybe you have your reasons. :) and it's none of my business. so I'll zip it. lol

Last night, we had chicken enchiladas with salsa verde.  Ski, I guess our working theory about tomatillos not bothering me was solid!

hey, if any of you can't "do tomatoes" right now for whatever reason, tomatillos may be a good sub for you!

Tonight is pizza night. Think we'll do a pizza bianca on the grille. I may make that KFG crock pot french onion soup to go with. it's really quite good!

I have to say, we like the Weber gas grille better than the Weber kettle we had for a billion years. It's also a lot faster to heat up and cook with.

the hubs is pleased with it...and that's all that matters to me because I like having a happy grill man. one less thing I have to do.

(In case any of you are debating the merits of charcoal vs. propane.) lol

Tomorrow may be grilled rib eyes and grilled sweet potato wedges and asparagus.

Happy August 1st....and have a great weekend, everybody! 

kareng Grand Master

We ate at that amazing restaurant again last night :D.  They have a hot stone meal, kind of like fondue but using a hot stone to cook on instead of a broth or whatever.  The food there is just amazing.  I REALLY wish she would open more restaurants--with the next one in my town :D

I'm debating about cheating tonight for the last time.....going back to my alma matter and I would REALLY like just one more pizza from the local pizza place.....

Weren't you waiting on an endoscopy or something and supposed to be eating gluten? Or is that done?

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks IH!

I forgot to tell you...I have been eating tomatillos...small quantity of chopped on top of my creamy garlic enchiladas...perhaps I should try to make verde enchilada sauce soon.

oh Karen forgot to tell you...they worked great in the crock. Instead of rolling ... I cut corn tortillas in half and layered...men thought they tasted better!

Tonight there will be lasagna casserole in KFG ... Will serve with salad and garlic/parmesan topped bagels.

kareng Grand Master

I usually don't roll my enchiladas. It's easier to layer them like lasagna.

GottaSki Mentor

I usually don't roll my enchiladas. It's easier to layer them like lasagna.

I roll when entertaining and sometimes for the guys...depends on my mood ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm old school...I still like to roll my enchiladas...cuz, it's how I roll....get it? get it..wha??   searching-smiley-emoticon.gif

not-available.gifnot-available.gifrolling-penguin-smiley-emoticon.gif

GottaSki Mentor

rolling-penguin-smiley-emoticon.gif

Just wanted to watch him roll again.

Added benefit around here is limiting the teens (mine and the spares) to three enchiladas ;)

GF Lover Rising Star

Our friends took us out for an early Indian Meal.  Was wonderful.  I have no idea what I ate :o but it sure did taste good.  Was our first time eating authentic Indian food.

Happy Happy

Adalaide Mentor

Indian food sounds delicious. Either kind really. Here in Utah it can be rather confusing about which you're going out for if someone isn't specific. :P

Apparently my husband brought home a LOT of steak. So, steak is for dinner. Not complaining at all! No such thing as too much steak. I'll look up a recipe and do something fabulous tonight I think. I've given my husband a shopping list for nachos for tomorrow night. I'm rather excited. And I'm thinking Sunday will be the orange chicken. It rang up at $5.99 for a 22 oz bag which I didn't think was bad, especially for something without any weird ingredients and an allergen statement of "none!" on the package. But the shelf tag said $4.99 and by God I was getting it for the price it listed on the shelf. The brand is Hart (I think, if I remember right) and it can be deep fried, pan fried, or ovened. <--I make up my own verbs as I like. And this was a regular grocery store in the Kroger chain of stores, so maybe some of you may find it soon too.

I'm rather disappointed. My doctor's office called me back yesterday and told me all my blood work was normal. That should be good news, but it doesn't explain why I feel like I've had the life sucked out of me. <_< Oh well, I told the nurse to ask the doctor what now. He's pretty good and I'm sure he'll look into other ideas or more tests if necessary. I just need to be feeling awesome in 5 weekends!

LauraTX Rising Star

Tonight I am making chicken quesadillas.  Then I have to gross out my husband and make him watch me give myself an injection, because I want him to learn how to do it as well so I can rotate more injection sites.  I was on oral methotrexate for my lupus, and I am going to a higher dose so they are switching me to the injection because it doesn't irritate the stomach as much.  I can definitely go for that, just have to get over the part where I have to stab myself first, LOL!  But only once a week.

kareng Grand Master

Tonight I am making chicken quesadillas.  Then I have to gross out my husband and make him watch me give myself an injection, because I want him to learn how to do it as well so I can rotate more injection sites.  I was on oral methotrexate for my lupus, and I am going to a higher dose so they are switching me to the injection because it doesn't irritate the stomach as much.  I can definitely go for that, just have to get over the part where I have to stab myself first, LOL!  But only once a week.

Oooo! Oooo! Let me stab you!

LauraTX Rising Star

Oooo! Oooo! Let me stab you!

Okay!!!!

LOL... sounds like something I would ask :)

Adalaide Mentor

My husband would be all over that. He's twisted like that. I on the other hand do not do needles. I get all squeamish about my flu shot or blood draws.

GottaSki Mentor

Hey Laura....I'm good with stabbing too!

Sounds like a good idea to find an alternative to running it through the digestive tract. My daughter with Lupus has always had trouble with it ... Abdominal issues and more.

So KFG is fast becoming Lisa's second favorite gadget! Crock pot Lasagna was awesome...was better than any other labor intensive lasagna I've made over the years. Directions to follow so I have them for another round. We (was hot and my joints were not happy so enlisted a boy to cook the meat and grate the cheese) used the following:

Nonstick sprayed the crock

Layer Sam mills lasagne corte noodles (small wavy noodles)

Ground meat...used one lb chicken mild sausage and half lb ground beef ... Not specific...just what I pulled outta the freeze this morning.

Homemade Pasta Sauce (I make 2/3 tomato 1/3 carrot, celery, etc to add veggies wherever possible) ... Dumped one pint jar

Grated Mozzarella

Another layer of noodles

Layer mixture of 32 oz ricotta, chopped fresh basil, fresh oregano, garlic, onion and kale.

Another layer of noodles

Ground meat, another pint of sauce

Topped with grated mozzarella and grated fresh parm, salt and pepper.

Low for 4 hours.

Love that this thing was full of veggies but well hidden for my fussy man and that the finished product was really thick ... Served it like slices of layer cake...will do for company one day soon :)

Next up carmalized onions...nom nom paleo lady posted...just throw six sliced onions in the crock on lowest setting for ten hours. Freeze in bags to easily add to future dishes.

SMRI Collaborator

Weren't you waiting on an endoscopy or something and supposed to be eating gluten? Or is that done?

I was waiting for my follow-up appointment with the GI after getting diagnosed last month and yes, technically that is done...as of this past Tuesday so no I have to be gluten-free.  I did cheat.  It's my favorite pizza anywhere and now I won't be able to have it again.  They are not gluten-free and really not set up to go that route anytime in the near future because of the size of the kitchen.  I'm back home now after spending a week at Mayo with all of the follow-up stuff so the gluten-free journey officially begins.  I have to clean my kitchen tomorrow--finish cleaning really and once that is done, no more gluten in the house.  I mostly just have to wipe out cabinets and such. I've gotten rid of most of the gluten already but since hubs was home alone, I didn't want to clean and then not know what he might have made while I was gone and have to clean again.

GF Lover Rising Star

Went to the Golf Tournament today and they had a THE BEST Cheeseburgers with all the fixings.  It's so nice to see that the big public venues are starting to see the need for gluten-free food.  They did it right too.  The buns were individually wrapped as were the lettuce and tomato.  All beef chicken and pork were grilled on a HUGH grill and bbq sauces etc. were put on after.  Gloves were changed when a gluten-free order came in, I watched like a hawk...lol.  Was so nice to be able to eat with Hubs under a nice shade tree.  

These are the days that make being healthy again soooo worth it.

Happy Happy.

IrishHeart Veteran

These are the days that make being healthy again soooo worth it.

Happy Happy.

:wub:   love love love to hear this kind of story ( and I am .beyond happy FOR you!! )

kareng Grand Master

I would go to a golf tournament if they fed me safely!

We are doing burgers on the grill, corn o the cob and steak fries.

GF Lover Rising Star

The PGA Championship is in Louisville KY next weekend....we are considering going.  But, I have to say, when we went to Muirfield in May they only had fruit or chips that I could eat on the course.  If you get tickets that include the clubhouse or some such thing you can get many more choices of food and sit down and eat.  

I wish we could buy individually wrapped buns like they had.   Super Cool.

SMRI Collaborator

The PGA Championship is in Louisville KY next weekend....we are considering going.  But, I have to say, when we went to Muirfield in May they only had fruit or chips that I could eat on the course.  If you get tickets that include the clubhouse or some such thing you can get many more choices of food and sit down and eat.  

Red Robin sells individually wrapped Udi hamburger buns in bulk :D.  Just contact the manager.  They come 50 to a box.

Adalaide Mentor

na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na NACHOS!

LauraTX Rising Star

Local Oven buns are the BEST, they beat udis and others by far, and don't need toasting.  They may have been those.  They are all I eat.   http://www.localoven.com/html/our_products.html

Tonight is roasted pork tenderloin with red/white/purple potatoes and colorful carrots I got at trader joes.

GF Lover Rising Star

Those look yumm Laura.  I bookmarked the page.  I think I'll try some of those.  The one I had was very large, the burger patties were bigger than my palm and the bun fit and it had poppy seeds.  

SMRI, don't think buying 50 at a time will work for me  :P I don't even eat 50 in a year, maybe two years  :lol:

Colleen