8827 replies to this topic

#526 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:39 AM

Last night I made a meal direct from my childhood. I made salmon patties: 2 large cans pink salmon mashed with 3 eggs, 1/4 cup corn meal, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of onion powder. Used butter flavored spray and a bit of my dairy free margarine - Smart Balance and fried until brown and crispy on both sides. Served with some canned creamed corn. Yummo!

OMG, this sounds good. I can so relate to this meal from my childhood, too. I've been eyeing the can of salmon I have and wondered what to use for the "filler" part. I used to use saltines :ph34r: and figured I'd probably have to get some bread out of my freezer to use for crumbs or possibly use Rice Chex. Never would have thought of using corn meal.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#527 artboys

artboys

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

Tonite we had scrambled bbq beef with chopped green pepper in it and boiled potatoes. Nothing fancy. I'm thinking to get out my frozen chucky vegetarian chili for dinner tmrw night.

#528 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:49 AM

Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Leg of Lamb with Homemade Mint Sauce
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Fresh Herbs
Minted Mushy Peas
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#529 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

Lasagna! What more can I say... it had spinach, carrot, broccoli, peppers, cottage cheese, ..and then the other usual stuff. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#530 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:34 AM

Last night I had salmon patties, baby red potatoes and fresh asparagus. Yum!
Sylvia

#531 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

All this talk of salmon patties... yummmm Gotta make that real soon.
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#532 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

I just made another huge batch of salmon patties using my recipe above. I am going in for surgery on Wednesday (total knee replacement) and I have been making food for DH to bring to the hospital. They will not provide gluten or dairy free items. My patties are individually wrapped right next to my frozen Katz and Udi bread. All he has to do is grab a couple and some bread and I can eat. Today I also cooked some haddock fillets that were in the freezer and cut them up and froze them.

This time I cooked the patties on an electric grill rather than a large frying pan. They came out smoother and more even and I used less dairy free margarine. Did you know that the little crispy bits around each patty are just delicious enough to munch on during the cooking time?

My friend told me she makes her salmon patties with mashed potato... That might be good too although I do love the corn meal in this recipe and it is so safe for me.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#533 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:30 AM

Last night I had salmon patties, baby red potatoes and fresh asparagus. Yum!

What did you use as a binder? My friend told me she uses leftover mashed potato....
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#534 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

What did you use as a binder? My friend told me she uses leftover mashed potato....

Actually I used bread crumbs (from a loaf that bombed...lol). I was going to try your corn meal and will do so in the future. Leftover mashed potato sounds good, too (wonder if you could just use instant)?
Sylvia

#535 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

Be careful with the Lipton's onion soup. They have changed the recipe and the last box I looked at had barley.

...yes, the barley will get you if the msg doesn't :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#536 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

it's been a while sinc ei posted my meals here...Let's see...Recently we have had:

Lettuce wraps http://crockpot365.b...pot-recipe.html
Orange chicken http://crockpot365.b...ken-recipe.html
Beef and bok choy soup (I made it with ground bison and in the slow cooker): http://allrecipes.co...oup/Detail.aspx

Tonight I'm making chicken noodle soup (with rice noodles) because even though it's 80 degrees outside I have the flu :(
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#537 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

it's Tonight I'm making chicken noodle soup (with rice noodles) because even though it's 80 degrees outside I have the flu :(

Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm having a bunless hamburger and sweet potato fries. Been in the kitchen too long today.
Sylvia

#538 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm having a bunless hamburger and sweet potato fries. Been in the kitchen too long today.

Thanks Sylvia! You're dinner sounds great! I make that all the time too.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#539 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Chicken Marsala for us tonight (dusted in Bob's Red Mill Flour Mix). Server over rice and spring asparagus.

Going to the beach to the In-Laws for Easter Dinner/Lunch. Bringing Blazing Saddle Stew. It's a classic and remind me to post the recipe.

Happy Holiday to Everyone!!!! :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#540 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

We had some lovely local plump gluten-free pork Cumberland sausages with garlic and buttermilk mashed potatoes and brown butter herb roasted carrots. Bangers and Mash it is called. Oh, and caramelized onion red wine sauce as is traditionally served with it. gluten-free brownies for dessert.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: