This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

So I totally forgot about this over the weekend. Back when I was first diagnosed my MIL said something about calling a friend back in CA who knew something about a way to make bread gluten free by kneading or beating the gluten out of it. Something to that effect. Even though I was newly diagnosed with the relative knowledge of a babe, it took every ounce of my willpower not to injure myself from a severe eyeroll. Saturday night when I was watering the garden she came out with a little package. She had been to a local bakery she likes and noticed they had gluten free cookies. She asked them if they'd be safe for me, they explained to her that they have a separate area in the back for gluten free baking and clean the ovens between gluten and gluten free. I asked where she got it, and it's a bakery I stop into on occasion for a cookie or cupcake and am comfortable with. A far cry from beating the gluten out of bread! And my cookie was delicious. They make wonderful sugar cookies.

Now I think I'm going to take myself off to the kitchen to get a bowl of shiro plums for dessert. I'm going to be a sad panda when they're all gone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

SMRI Collaborator

Not sure what to make tonight :D.  I have some leftover beef roast, maybe some soup...maybe not-not sure if I have anything else to put in the soup :D.  Maybe beef tacos :D

Adalaide Mentor

The last time I had leftover beef I made a pasta steak salad. I just mixed more or less equal parts ranch, sour cream and mayo for the sauce (I didn't measure anything, I just eyeballed it) and added whatever fresh herbs I had on hand (although none would have worked) and whatever veggies were in the fridge plus some frozen peas and macaroni which I only used because I didn't have shells. It was quite good.

SMRI Collaborator

The last time I had leftover beef I made a pasta steak salad. I just mixed more or less equal parts ranch, sour cream and mayo for the sauce (I didn't measure anything, I just eyeballed it) and added whatever fresh herbs I had on hand (although none would have worked) and whatever veggies were in the fridge plus some frozen peas and macaroni which I only used because I didn't have shells. It was quite good.

That sounds good!!!  I have some left over spaghetti noodles in the fridge.  I have some frozen mixed veges that would work!  I have a gluten-free baguette I need to use up too.....sounds like a winner!!!

GottaSki Mentor

Making turkey soup...more like turkey pasta....makes a ton to share with other family members.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Grilling chicken wings and zucchini after I get back from band practice. Kid is in charge of the salad. She always creates artistic presentations. Makes the sale taste so much better!

GF Lover Rising Star

KFG Meat and Potatoes ... yumm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Grilling chicken wings and zucchini after I get back from band practice. Kid is in charge of the salad. She always creates artistic presentations. Makes the sale taste so much better!

For me too...it's like the eating simple food cooked while camping tastes better.

Anyone that makes me a colorful salad is my hero :)

SMRI Collaborator

KFG Meat and Potatoes ... yumm

I keep seeing KFG..what is that?

kareng Grand Master

I keep seeing KFG..what is that?

Karen's Favorite Gadget or KFKG - Karen's Favorite Kitchen gadget  = crockpot

I use mine a lot and they made fun of me - until they realized the awesomeness of the Crockpot.  Very good in the summer because it doesn't' heat the kitchen.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Thai red curry with veggies and rice noodles.

SMRI Collaborator

Ok, made the pasta dish,  added in the beef, some brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, red pepers, mixed some Penzey's Buttermilk Ranch spice mix in with some sour cream and added some spaghetti noodles.  It was pretty good!!!

A some dry white wine would have been good to cook into this too.

SMRI Collaborator

I use mine a lot and they made fun of me - until they realized the awesomeness of the Crockpot.  Very good in the summer because it doesn't' heat the kitchen.

ahhhh....clever :D  I have 2 crock-pots and never got into the habit of using them!

kareng Grand Master

A some dry white wine would have been good to cook into this too.

Too late for that - so maybe into the cook?   ;)

SMRI Collaborator

Too late for that - so maybe into the cook?   ;)

Just added up my calorie intake for the day and that will work :D

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night for dinner I was out of the house far away and I ate in n out for the first time.  I can see why my gluten eating husband refuses to go there... amongst options available to the general population it isn't special, but to someone like me who can not go hardly anywhere and get a safe burger, fries, and shake.... it was glorious!  There is one a semi reasonable drive from our house, I am going to make him take me there now.

Tonight I have no idea what I am making.  may just go to sleep, woke up far too early.

SMRI Collaborator

I start my busy season for work in a couple weeks, which means I'm on the road every day for about 2 months or so....this year is going to be especially hard since I travel to places I am not familiar with and can be in a different area every day of the week.  Is In-and-Out like 5 Guys where they don't give you a bun or what makes them a good place to eat.  We don't have them around here but if I run into one during my travels....

LauraTX Rising Star

I start my busy season for work in a couple weeks, which means I'm on the road every day for about 2 months or so....this year is going to be especially hard since I travel to places I am not familiar with and can be in a different area every day of the week.  Is In-and-Out like 5 Guys where they don't give you a bun or what makes them a good place to eat.  We don't have them around here but if I run into one during my travels....

Yep, they only fry fries in their fryer, they dont offer crazy stuff like cookies in their shakes, and when you tell them you can't have gluten they have a button for it on the order thing, I have heard many good things about it. Burger with lettuce wrap.  Next time I am going to bring my own bun, haha!  They have special terms for orders and stuff, but I am all boring, hehe.

Adalaide Mentor

I love In N Out! They don't offer much, but what they do they certainly do right. Fresh cut fries, never frozen burgers and I love the shakes. I've never gotten sick from eating there and I wouldn't hesitate to go to any of their locations and feel safe eating. I'm thinking I need to find the closest one to the convention center and see if I can get there by walking. We're taking the train to comic con so we won't be able to drive, but being able to sneak out for a bite might be a nice change from bringing everything for all three days.

Tonight is fried chicken. I don't know what else yet, but definitely fried chicken.

kareng Grand Master

I love In N Out! They don't offer much, but what they do they certainly do right. Fresh cut fries, never frozen burgers and I love the shakes. I've never gotten sick from eating there and I wouldn't hesitate to go to any of their locations and feel safe eating. I'm thinking I need to find the closest one to the convention center and see if I can get there by walking. We're taking the train to comic con so we won't be able to drive, but being able to sneak out for a bite might be a nice change from bringing everything for all three days.

Tonight is fried chicken. I don't know what else yet, but definitely fried chicken.

I don't know if PFChangs works for you, but it's just 2?3? Blocks over.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I purchased a Nesco Oven that was still in the original box at a garage sale. It sits on a table on the back patio along side my trusty old crockpot. I love my outdoor kitchen as it does not heat up the house!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Walk to the Gas Lamp District to the Old Spaghetti Factory. They are well trained. The menu even tells you to notify the manger. All food comes out separately. Menu is limited for Comic Con, but they should still have gluten-free items. Not expensive either. It is a family place. Whole meal comes with salad, pasta, tea, coffee or milk and ice cream. Ate there a lot while in college before my dx.. Enjoy Comic Con!
Adalaide Mentor

Sorry for the confusion, my comic con is not San Diego. I'm in Utah and mine is the Salt Lake one. But it is nearly as large, we're expecting 120,000 people this fall! Even without that though, we're already the third largest in the country and it's only our second year, third convention. (we do 2 a year, we're super geeks) The PF Changs is 3ish blocks away. That could work if we decide to spend that much. I'm hoping to spend more on things like the laser tag zombie apocalypse though than anything pricier than fast food. Sadly there are no In N Outs up in the city yet. Many in what I call the city, but not in the city proper.

kareng Grand Master

Sorry for the confusion, my comic con is not San Diego. I'm in Utah and mine is the Salt Lake one. But it is nearly as large, we're expecting 120,000 people this fall! Even without that though, we're already the third largest in the country and it's only our second year, third convention. (we do 2 a year, we're super geeks) The PF Changs is 3ish blocks away. That could work if we decide to spend that much. I'm hoping to spend more on things like the laser tag zombie apocalypse though than anything pricier than fast food. Sadly there are no In N Outs up in the city yet. Many in what I call the city, but not in the city proper.

I wondered about the In and Outs. We haven't skied Utah for a few years. I thought maybe they have taken over. At PF Chang's - just get one order of food and split for lunch? With some fruit from home? We had good luck with that Pfchangs, too. Be careful of pizza places. There was one a few blocks north that we went to. My son could see over the short wall/ soda machines into the kitchen. He noticed them getting floury fingers in the cheese. When we asked, they kept insisting that changing gloves was good enough. We left. I got microwave burrito bowl ( Evol) from WF and the GEs got a pizza somewhere else. Had an Italian mans's first name - maybe Vinnys?

Adalaide Mentor

I NEVER trust pizza places, with the exception of The Pie (separate kitchen) and Malawi's (GIG certified). We never eat the same things, that's why we never share. He's mister "I hate vegetables blah blah blah" lol. I like to pack things like frozen grapes, hard boiled eggs, and snack bars. Easy to pack and doesn't take up much space.