#5416 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hey, Sylvia! Good to see you.  :)  :)

Holy smokes. Peter ducked in for dinner!  Hi P!! 

Marinated steak (I just took a bunch of stuff out of my fridge and spice cabinet and threw it together), mashed potatoes, balsamic pan fried brussel sprouts and rosemary honey cornbread. I'm also making an egg free chocolate cinnamon cupcakes with a ganache topping. Fingers crossed they come out right, not using an established recipe, I'm just winging it.

They'll be awesome, Alex! Fingers crossed, but for me, ganache makes everything taste like... MORE!!

I can smell the roast chicken......

I can smell it, too. Must be drifting over the ocean.......

Well, the gang that stays here in the complex has invited us out to join them for dinner. I checked and the place has a gluten-free menu (plain as can be, standard disclaimer statement about "allergens" yada yada yada) , but I am so delighted at being included in spontaneous plans, we're going. I trust it will not bite me on the butt. :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#5417 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yay, Sylvia (for my breakfast :P ~~ good to see you) and Peter here too!!!  I had also been asking myself, where is Sylvia????

Hubs has been getting a bit creative with food - with things like stuffed fillleted chicken thighs wrapped in prosciutto, cauliflower cheese bake,  German potato salad for him and my sis (not all at once).  What more could a gal ask??

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5418 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

All this creativity! Boring old boringness at my house tonight. Taco encores and banana dessert quesadillas. I have more bananas from this produces basket thing than I can shake a stick at and there is only so much banana bread a girl can eat.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5419 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Warning -- this recipe forgot the first most important step -- line up your sous chef(s) prior to starting this adventure -- we ended up with something very close - but my kids may have been ready to duck and cover when I discovered my wire mesh strainer missing at a crucial moment.

http://www.chow.com/...charlotte-russe

Will give it another shot someday - just not someday soon ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5420 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Holy complicated dessert, Batman!!!!!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5421 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

I concur, Robin!

SKI, my friend,

Not in a gazillion years would I make that thing. I applaud you for your willingness to tackle anything. (in the kitchen or in the world)

I thought making Dacquoise was the mother of all baking projects requiring gymnastics and patience, (or maybe rolling out layers of phyllo for baklava--OHMYGAWWWD--- you need a massage and heat packs after that nightmare!)

but this.....is madness, sheer madness, woman! :lol:

God bless your patience and your dare-devilery. (dare-devildom? dare-devildogs? Addy, I think I am making up words again) 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#5422 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

Oh I like Daredevil -- he overcame being blind to become Superhero :)

Um ya...got sucked in by the pretty picture and Schar's lady fingers bought in bulk from amazon -- thinking we'll stick with simple old graveyard cake next time!  Was really thankful my boys were home -- had them both stirring at one point or another -- part of me knows I will make it again as our little snafu was the lady fingers in the bottom of the pan floated!  I think my exact words as one son standing right there holding the side fingers in place was -- "Oh fuck, they float" -- he LHAO as it was after the longest dessert making session we'd had in quite awhile.  So the flavor was fantastic, but because the floor of my crust floated away the whole dealio was an inch to low in the pan -- up side -- when we sliced it - the fingers looked like bunny ears sticking up.

Down side - Mom fell yesterday afterooon -- meds stil making her dizzy and she doesn't want to use the walker -- being an avid walker -- up to four miles a day until last spring -- she isn't a fan of the little red "hot rod" walker I got her -- she promises to use it until she is steadier on her feet - we shall see.  Anyway I have packed up the capon, gravy, dressing (oh ya went with homemade stuffing instead of potatoes - and I tasted - was fantastic -- used heals from udi, canyon bakehouse and glutino genius breads -- I'm told this batch was better than Thanksgiving's because of the combo of breads. -- glazed carrots and the newly renamed "bunny russe" for them to have for lunch today.

I am in a fantastic mood this morning because my honey has set up his hybrid bicycle for me to ride (the twin of my stolen "black beauty" except the frame is a bit larger and silver in color) -- my shoulders still wont deal with racing type handle bars on my other road bike -- can't wait to ride this morning -- it is still dark -- hence the nice long post here -- come on sun -- I am ready to ride!

Have a great day everyone :)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#5423 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  "oh f--k! they float!!!!" ...... AND a new bike...thanks for the 

great way to start my day.

So sorry about your Mom falling, though.

and, yes. the combo of various bread heels worked well for my stuffing, too last Thanksgiving. 

Happy cycling!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#5424 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Me thinks Hubby has lost a bicycle -- I like his better than the one I lost to the #@%ing thieves ;)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5425 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Oh you are a riot. You sound like me when something goes horribly wrong in the kitchen. Gratz on the new bike! My condolences to your hubby. And hopefully your mom will get over her stubborn pride before she hurts herself.

I am up way too early for me. But, the good news is I see my neuro today and will hopefully get a firm CRPS label and some actual help. We have 2 cans of Christmas George left and I'm really feeling like some tonight. Having an Easter Ham taking up more than half a shelf in my fridge for two weeks is killing me and I just want to eat it!

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5426 NoGlutenJose

NoGlutenJose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Chicken Dumpling soup with hopefully mini Lemon Meringue pies

#5427 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hubby made my favorite gift of cauli fried rice -- he has gotten so good at it -- I don't think I'll ever attempt it again ;)

and steamed broccoli - left the bbq tending of the steak to son.  All delicious -- is it me or does it taste better when someone else prepares?  

Perhaps I was just happy to be home -- Mom is trying to use walker regularly -- finally got Dad onboard to deliver it to her at different places in the house if she forgets...progress.  Extreme blood pressure flux that is causing the dizziness is closer to being under control.  Thanks for the well wishes.

Addie - how'd it go with the doc-tor?  I found a nice pre-sliced ham that is happily resting in my frig -- yep, I'm hitting the EZ button on Sunday as we are hosting the second annual "House Show" for my son's band and three others...Goodness we have tolerant neighbors! Be glad you live in other states on Saturday!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5428 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Chicken Dumpling soup with hopefully mini Lemon Meringue pies

Mini - Lemon - Meringue - Pies?

How'd they turn out?

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5429 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Glad your mom is cooperating. Hopefully she'll stick with it. And yes, dinner is better when someone else makes it.

I am happier not thinking about the doctor. I have started making appointments with every doctor in a 10 mile radius who takes my insurance. Some appointments are as far out as July, but I am desperate and if I find answers before then I can cancel. When I said CRPS he actually looked at me like I had two heads and said CRPS? I had to explain it to a neurologist, I should have saved my breath and walked out.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5430 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well Sheeeee ---it looks like I'm about to swear in print once again.

been there, done that and hate to hear others going through it - I try to temper my repulsion for the dismissive tone and lack of knowledge that too many of our doctors regularly exude.  This is me trying....trying...ok, didn't work so well - I am pissed that yet another patient has had to learn more than our doctors are taught or choose to learn in med school.

Hopping of the box...good on you for trying with everyone available in your network -- I should have pushed much earlier than I did.  I know you'll find answers - I'm adding a little prayer that this happen soon.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: