9578 replies to this topic

#5446 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

It's been a LONG time since we've had country fried steak. We dipped it in buttermilk then used Better batter to flour it and fried in coconut oil. We used to milk and corn starch and a little of the oil we fried the meat in to make gravy. It was SO GOOD! We also had green beans and mashed potatoes. :D

My mouth is watering no my thighs are getting bigger just reading this!

I've been completely out of stamina lately. Even knowing how much more important this week was, being Easter weekend, people being away for vacation, and how short on volunteers they would be, there was no way I could rally through the pain and fatigue this morning. The bright side is, when I went and picked up my stuff there were three beautiful zucchinis in there.

To keep dinner simple and leftover free I made sausage, scrambled eggs and zucchini cakes.

I have a million things to do and the stamina of a dead slug. On the bright side, I have my lemon curd in the fridge. Now I just need an angel food cake to go with it.

You don't need to make angel cake for me! Lemon curd is just fine!

Had chicken tacos tonight! Yum!

Tomorrow night - hub is grilling steaks and chicken, crockpot Au gratin potatoes, salad, carrot sticks ( for the no salad kids and my mom), coconut tres leches cake and a gluteny dessert my sis is making for those who don't like coconut.

Spell check wanted to change leches to leeches. Only my fish want 3 leeches cake!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#5447 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Apparently, marshmallows give me a sugar rush... and i only ate a handful of the mini ones. :blink:

#5448 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hey Guys...been consisting on "astronaut food" for a few days -- oh that is baby food in squeeze packettes I've used as safe food for awhile -- was happy to see them at the SD Celiac fair recently and they are making grown up versions -- sorry tired and rambled.  tonight hubby and son made tons of tri tip and other stuff for everyone left over for house show...i'd been living in the hospital cuz it is a very scary place for Mom....oh...and being there and knowing history wins every time...made some friends, some not so much -- but kept spouting history, symptoms, etc and guess what...one of the docs I thought was another PITA turned out to be chief of staff - I had no idea until i stumbled outta the cafeteria this morning with some caffeine and paused to look at the pics of staff -- you never know when you'll meet someone that really can make a dif....wondered why we finally were being listened to - now I know.  

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5449 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

angel food???  blurry eyes must go back and read what i missed....my favorite bday cake is angel food with lemon icing.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#5450 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

When you get things straightened out there, you get right on making yourself an angel food cake. You deserve it! I do hope you are doing okay, holidays are no time to be spending in a hospital. I use the King Arthur recipe, but with the pastry flour blend from the December Living Without for the Christmas cookies. I use Alton Brown's recipe for lemon curd.

http://www.kingarthu...ood-cake-recipe

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5451 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Easter dinner will  be:  Baked beans and tossed salad.  Daughter will also have a sweet potato and some chicken

#5452 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Happy Easter Everyone!!!

Mom is settled in a very nice skilled nursing facility in downtown La Jolla -- to start recovering from her incorrect dx and prescribed meds given over the past 9 months.  Long road ahead but I am extremely hopeful this little dynamo will be back walking her 3-4 miles a day in the coming months :)

I'm not posting anywhere else in the forum today as the kids and their friends have left our cupboards and fridge absolutely bare while I was hanging in the hospital with Mom...off to several grocery stores and to shuffle yummy treats in and out of the oven the rest of the day.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5453 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

You've had a LONG week, Lisa. Glad Mom is settled and you can breathe. You "did good", hon!xx

Happy Easter, Everyone!

Traveling home--a few days to go, but I thought I'd check in and tell you that dining out safely is absolutely possible while traveling.

Kudos to the folks who "invented" Find Me Gluten Free and I will be adding my thoughts on that website when I have a few minutes.

Except for one brief episode early on (and that was entirely my own fault for tasting something before double checking--duh!)

I have been able to enjoy all kinds of foods without a "hit". (and good news, a hit does not last as long as they used to--whoohoo!)

Once I know the chef and staff are savvy enough, I relax and enjoy.

I have had the following during the last week:

Porterhouse steak, asparagus with hollandaise, German fried potatoes, Gran Marnier  creme brulee (still like my CB unadorned)

Pork chops with an interesting mix of red beans/rice, jalapeno, black eyed peas, brussel sprouts, and strawberry cupcakes with white icing(and it was vegan, too)

A veggie burrito (my first in 2 years!) which had just about everything in it (avocado, sprouts, even sweet potato, black beans, a bit of cheese) and mixed fruit.

For Easter dinner, we are going to Matanzas Innlet here in St. Augustine (a shout out of thanks to Wendy, who writes  the "Palm Trees and Gluten Free" blog for emailing me via the Gluten Dude's site and for writing about this place.She's a doll!)

Dining right on the ocean for our last night (for now)  in this sunny paradise.

Heading for home tomorrow. Warm hugs to all and "see you" in a few days.xx

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5454 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I loved going to St. Augustine FL when i lived in FL.

At any rate, some sort of pasta tonight.

#5455 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've been out of town (and miss my precious Bingley to distraction!).  But in preparation I did make a wondrous batch of Bolognese sauce that is utterly fantastic.  There are many parts to it but it does include reduced white wine, aromatics, milk, blah blah blah.  That on (purchased! shame on me) buckwheat pasta and KFC copycat coleslaw on the side rounds it out.  Too bad I was not home to make a fabulous Easter dinner!  Oh, well.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5456 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Sorry you are not feeling so good :( Hope you get some rest.

Yesterday we had the most amazing pork roast. It is a long time since I had excellent crackling. Crunch and melt mmmm.

Today was chicken and veg stir fry with some fine vermiccelli (sp??) rice noodles. Nice to add a bit of variety to my rice based dishes.

Enjoyed an Easter egg hunt with the kids. There were a few little flurries of snow.

Clocks changed here, so off to bed, who knows what it will do to kids sleep patterns...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5457 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Travel safely!

Nothing wrong with a non-traditional Easter dinner, I'm sure that it was absolutely fabulous. I'm also sure that your new little man is missing you as much as you are missing him.

Today we tackled the task together of attacking our Easter George to get him into jars and canned for future use. We have 14 pint jars and I have a pot of bone broth stewing on the stove that I'll probably transfer to a crock pot later and tackle tomorrow or the next day.

We also have a batch of creme brulee ice creme chilling. I had a ton of leftover yolks from the angel food cake and woe is us, burdened now with this ice cream to make. :lol: I may have licked the spatula a little and all I have to say is zomg.

I saved out just enough ham to cover tonight's dinner. I'm sure eventually I'll be up to the task of heating that up, making a little gravy to go with it and mashing up a tater for myself. I'm in far too much pain to be hungry, so although I had planned on either some buffalo cauliflower or asparagus and hollandaise I am just going to call ham and taters and gravy my dinner.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5458 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Good Morning Dinner Pals...."Bubble Girl" checking in.

So...for the past 16 months I have been wondering if I'd ever have to put the stinking epi-pens we carry everywhere since my first anaphylactic reaction to sunflower seeds back in November 2011 to use - hoped I never would, but better safe than sorry.

On Easter afternoon I was feeling great - happily cooking and baking up a storm for the family -- when out of no where my abdomen swelled up - huh - wtf I think to myself - had only had fresh vegies and freshly baked chicken thus far that day -- then my breathing started getting bad --- double huh -- hubby dismissed as just another strange reaction as I took my first benedryl -- within 10 mins my throat swelled up and it was official -- the second anaphylactic episode is FAR worse than the first - I gasped epi pen - hubby ran and got it and stabbed me - it was our first time so I wasn't even sure he did it right -- but there was a spot of blood on my white pants so he knew he got me -- throat opened up pretty quickly - so I added second benedryl -- five mins later throat started swelling again so off we went to emergency -- hubby drove very, very fast and stuck me a second time in route.  A couple very long hours later I'd had a total of three doses of epi, four benedryl - two pills plus a couple shots thru the IV - three breathing treatments, a couple bags of fluid and an EKG to make sure the epi wasn't giving me a heart attack - fun times ;)

I was not going to post, but thought it important to remind folks -- if they are having "allergic" type reactions - even small ones, but are testing negative to food allergies - talk to their doc about getting an epi-pen -- had we not done this back when I had my first bad allergic reaction to an "intolerance" -- well - let's just say I am very thankful we had them and everyone in the family knows where they are and how to use them.

The scariest part was not anything above -- the scariest part is we still have no idea what triggered it.  Allergist is going to run yet another set of blood and patch tests -- hopefully we'll find something this round.

When in doubt - carry epi-pens!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5459 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Lisa
So glad you are ok, sounds like it all got a bit hairy there. I hope you can track down your trigger.

We are an epipen carrying household too, my son has an anaphylactic reaction to almond. So far we haven't had to use it, but it goes everywhere, no exceptions.

I had a puffy lips and hives on face reaction to parmesan last week, maybe I need to join the club too.

When my son had his 1st reaction we were told any subsequent reactions were likely to be more severe. We have to be alert to use his asthma medication if he has an anaphylactic reaction.

I know you can feel wiped out after, so take it easy

Love Mw x
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5460 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thank you Mw :)

Since you have eliminated so many foods you may become more sensitive when you add them back -- this is what happened to me -- glad you already have epi pens should reactions worsen -- I hope they don't - but it is good to be prepared!

Off to take an exam that I'm not as prepared for as I'd like -- mind a bit fuzzy since Easter -- but is better today -- hoping for the best :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: