8043 replies to this topic

#5491 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

I made a fruit crisp instead of apple crisp. My husband took my fuji apple for work so I improvised. I used my tart apples, some pears and some strawberries. It could have used some corn starch or a flour dusting to thicken the fruit, but otherwise it is awesome. I used this recipe for the topping and six cups of fruit. http://www.bettycroc...e2-9865f9013238 I can't remember, I used either sorghum or brown rice flour, one of the ones in my freezer, and cold butter, not soft. I have no idea why they would print something that stupid on their website.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#5492 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Sounds like some improvement all round, good news :)

I am tired but no migraine or frogs, so chief suspect is turkey steak which didn't get chucked, so I assumed was ok (not that I am shifting the blame or anything ;) ). So common or garden food poisoning.

Managed scrambled egg for breakfast.

You folks managed to have kids at a much more sensible age than me. I will be in my mid and late 50s when mine get to that age (menopause and puberty set to coincide. Think Mr Mw may move to the garage).

How exciting to see them grown up :)

Have a good week everyone x
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5493 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Glad dinner peeps are feeling a bit better -- IH - how about you today?

So some of you may have seen my Cobalt Blue toenail picture -- today I am sporting matching sparkly cobalt blue fingernails -- a bit of back story:

One of my favorite local tv anchormen -- also a staunch environmentalist and natural remedy for home and garden guru was diagnosed with a huge brain tumor in January -- he called it "blob" and had Blob removed within a day of it's discovery -- he has since been blogging and talking on the radio whenever possible about his journey - which has now been renamed "Blue on You" -- you see the day he got out of the hospital he went to the salon with his wife - never having been to this type of establishment he thought - why not and asked for a manicure -- when the nail gal asked he wanted polish - he said - no, then changed his mind and said "why, not!" 

He asked his wife what color he should get as he was stumped by all the choices -- she said she had read that Cobalt Blue is a healing color so he chose that and has sported bright blue nails since -- not just him -- very formal newscasters thru-out san diego painted their nails as a show of support along with a few radio show hosts that started talking about it -- before you knew it there was an outbreak of blue nails in san diego county -- I painted my toes when I heard about it in honor of our fellow c.com member KristenL and sent her a bottle to paint her own nails with -- she has a very scary surgery tomorrow and another fellow member GFLover has had other very tough procedures this week so now my finger nails are blue too!!!  Since bright blue nails are a bit out of character for me - when folks comment I tell them the story I have typed here and ask that they add their healing thoughts in with mine for all of our friends, neighbors and even strangers that are struggling to heal.

Hey Addie!!!  Thanks for the great idea -- I made my crisp with an EZ button -- lots of butter, brown sugar and gluten-free yellow cake mix -- but got even more hugs and words of gratitude from hubby, sons and my dad :)

Tonight is Rosemary Chicken and some other stuff -- everyone continue to feel better and if not eat something yummy!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAS

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile :)

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs - using Peer Reviewed Publications...

along with input from the best medical professionals you can find.

#5494 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

I will be in my mid and late 50s when mine get to that age (menopause and puberty set to coincide. Think Mr Mw may move to the garage).

Mr. Mw may move to the States :lol: .

Glad dinner peeps are feeling a bit better -- IH - how about you today?

I tell them the story I have typed here and ask that they add their healing thoughts in with mine for all of our friends, neighbors and even strangers that are struggling to heal.

Better, thanks. Obviously, the high histamines and lack of DAO enzyme are still my nemesis for now (damn you, celiac! <_< ) so it's back to the

"short list" and back to the gym this AM.

I simply cannot believe how much pain that darn inflammation causes. Last night, I was on fire, my neck and back in spasms and quite frankly, it made me cry. I never do that unless it is god-awful....argh. geesh. 

ah well, Life goes on. And I should not complain when others have bigger battles right now.

.....and your blue toes and fingers are a fabulous idea.. I'd paint myself cobalt blue all over if it would help all our peeps get well.

Let's all keep Kristen and Colleen in our thoughts. We send them  :wub: 

Dinner tonight:

A pork tenderloin

applesauce

the potatoes, carrots, cabbage etc, from the CB dinner--will most likely be made into a hash of some sort.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"Have a super shiny day!". A.S. 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; finally DXed on 11/01/10. I figured it out myself. Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5495 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

You folks managed to have kids at a much more sensible age than me. I will be in my mid and late 50s when mine get to that age (menopause and puberty set to coincide. Think Mr Mw may move to the garage).

How exciting to see them grown up :)

Have a good week everyone x

Not to worry Mw -- you will be a healthy mid 50 - rather than an undiagnosed Celiac!  You'll be running circles around those grumpy teens -- Me thinks menopause will be a cakewalk comparatively -- and before anyone jumps me -- yes -- I've been thru "the change" -- early thanks to my silly body's inablility to create enough necessary hormones - not sure exactly when it happened but do know I had hormones run four years ago and they were at normal levels then last summer - zip, nada - no wonder I was a mess -- oh...might add needed the blood tests to tell me as I got rid of my dear "Prudence." ten years ago along with all the cancer cells hanging about down there ;)

Feel better Irish!  Ez going at that-there gym and make something yummy for dessert with your short list

PS...off to class -- don't ya love all the "studying" I've been doing this morning - lol that procrastination gene runs strong in our family.

Edited by GottaSki, 08 April 2013 - 09:22 AM.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAS

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile :)

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs - using Peer Reviewed Publications...

#5496 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

oooo, I have glittery cobalt blue nail polish here, what a fantastic excuse, I usually save it for music festivals. There sure are some folks need us thinking of them this week, and glittery blue toes would remind me very well.

IH sorry it is all a bit ick at the moment, we are all there with you (but not in an inconvienient visitors you could do without sort of way). Get well soon.

I had sweet potato and a chicken and veg in tomato sauce type of thing. Fortunately Mr MW has come back with some shopping, so real food tomorrow :)

- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5497 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

turned down VIP seats at the California Speedway for Sunday  :o  :blink:  :wacko: I took a sip o' zin and says -- ah honey - why would you turn down those tixs?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in tennessee, that there's grounds for dee-vorce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that being said, my friend (who is a bms track official) had free tix for me to the sprint cup race at bristol (carried them around in his pocket all day just in case i changed my mind lolz) and i had too much to do to leave for florida that wednesday.  so i had to turn them down.  annnnd, while hubs was rototilling for the garden, he dug up 4 baby bunnies.  we saved them from the cat who was lurking, just to have them die 3 days later.  they were the youngest i ever tried to rehab, they had fur but eyes still closed, so less than a week old.  i feed them kitten replacer milk and have successfully rehabbed probably 20 all told.  but i was researching and they need (haha irony) digestive flora when they are that young and they can only get from their mother's milk or if you feed them rabbit droppings.  so sad, as they were hopping around tuesday night and by wed morn they were dropping like flies.  o well, at least i didn't have to take them to florida lolz

y'all sure have been busy while i've been gone!

tonight it's what i had last night:

seared ahi tuna w/green onion & ginger relish over a garden salad - hubs added goat cheese to his and said it was good, but i had already had enough dairy yesterday.  i also made him a steakk,, as he has been a good boy :)

had daughters in, back to back - got home from florida on wed night, friday the youngest comes in, stays til sunday night when her sister arrived with her husband and the boys, 9 and 4.  they stayed for a week and just left yesterday afternoon.  the 4 had a 1 1/2 hr meltdown not wanting to leave and not wanting to stay without his mother.  every time they come in, i think my sil the marine is getting closer to not re-enlisting - this time he actually looked into a few civilian employment options.  meemo <that's me!< has her fingers crossed!!  i sure miss my kids  :(

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

i'm down here in the well, looking back up at the hill

well, thank heavens i fell, i must look more like myself.

everyone is so kind, everyone looks like

a long lost friend of mine....  - 'up from under'  - the wallflowers

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5498 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

IH sorry it is all a bit ick at the moment, we are all there with you (but not in an inconvienient visitors you could do without sort of way). 

:lol:  :lol:  that brightened things immensely (thanks, silly girl) xx

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"Have a super shiny day!". A.S. 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; finally DXed on 11/01/10. I figured it out myself. Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5499 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Wow...recently I attended something called the Celiac Awareness Fair when it's nationwide tour stopped in San Diego -- small, but nice with good samples, coupons, etc. and I got to take a couple free yoga for digestion classes -- and the vendor of my "astronaut" food (organic baby food in little pouches that I carry for emergency food - well a bit more often then emergencies was there and I told them they need to make adult versions for those of us with multiple allergy/intolerance issues -- they are which is great news for us big babies!

Now... I just got an email from a local food market that I won a $25 gift card from their raffle -- lol -- could mentioning I post often on here helped my entry find it's way to the winner's basket?  Don't care -- happy for the freebie - will report back on their store in the coming days -- seems they have expanded their gluten-free section, but I had no idea as it happened since I developed my shopping strategies -- hopeful for good prices on some of the gluten-free items my men eat often -- bread, pretzels, rice chips, etc.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAS

#5500 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I went to the dentist at noon for a checkup and cleaning. They did a deep cleaning and offered to do it without gassing or numbing me. I about fell out of my chair laughing at the girl. I still can't feel the bottom right side of my face and the bottom left is so sore I could just die. At least I got a free pink toothbrush. I need to start making plans for next week, I go back Wednesday to start bridge work. :ph34r:

Dinner will be soft and easy tonight. I'll probably open a can of beef or turkey and make some mashed potatoes and gravy. At least I have a fruit crisp for dessert. I also have some chocolate ice cream to plop on top of the crisp.

My oldest was home from her First competition and is gone again for another competition. This time she is simply competing for scholarships. Too bad they don't do as many art scholarships as academic and science ones or my youngest would be set too. Then again, as artistic as she is she doesn't want to go to school for art. She actually wants to make a living when she graduates college. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5501 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Good Morning Dinner Pals...."Bubble Girl" checking in.

So...for the past 16 months I have been wondering if I'd ever have to put the stinking epi-pens we carry everywhere since my first anaphylactic reaction to sunflower seeds back in November 2011 to use - hoped I never would, but better safe than sorry.

On Easter afternoon I was feeling great - happily cooking and baking up a storm for the family -- when out of no where my abdomen swelled up - huh - wtf I think to myself - had only had fresh vegies and freshly baked chicken thus far that day -- then my breathing started getting bad --- double huh -- hubby dismissed as just another strange reaction as I took my first benedryl -- within 10 mins my throat swelled up and it was official -- the second anaphylactic episode is FAR worse than the first - I gasped epi pen - hubby ran and got it and stabbed me - it was our first time so I wasn't even sure he did it right -- but there was a spot of blood on my white pants so he knew he got me -- throat opened up pretty quickly - so I added second benedryl -- five mins later throat started swelling again so off we went to emergency -- hubby drove very, very fast and stuck me a second time in route.  A couple very long hours later I'd had a total of three doses of epi, four benedryl - two pills plus a couple shots thru the IV - three breathing treatments, a couple bags of fluid and an EKG to make sure the epi wasn't giving me a heart attack - fun times ;)

I was not going to post, but thought it important to remind folks -- if they are having "allergic" type reactions - even small ones, but are testing negative to food allergies - talk to their doc about getting an epi-pen -- had we not done this back when I had my first bad allergic reaction to an "intolerance" -- well - let's just say I am very thankful we had them and everyone in the family knows where they are and how to use them.

The scariest part was not anything above -- the scariest part is we still have no idea what triggered it.  Allergist is going to run yet another set of blood and patch tests -- hopefully we'll find something this round.

When in doubt - carry epi-pens!

Terrifying story. As I read through it, I kept remembering what happened just a few days ago with my son. We haven't discovered the trigger yet, but it is after he ate one of my protein bars. The ingredients are terrible on those things and any one of those 50 ingredients could have been the trigger.

It sounds like subsequent anaphylactic shocks get stronger and stronger and we will have to train his kindergarten teacher on how to give him the shot in case it happens when he is in school.

He was all evening in the hospital because his blood pressure would not come down. I guess that was the effect of the epi shot.

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

#5502 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Cookingpapa, sorry you had to go through that. My son was 4 when he had an anaphylactic reaction and I know it can be a scary time.

We got a practice epipen, so we got used to it, and could show teachers, family and friends how it works. We also practiced with him, so he knows the routine, to reduce panic should we need to use it. He practiced on us and teddy too.

We were lucky, we knew it was almond. He had skin prick tests done of nuts and common allergens. Maybe you could take a wrapper along and test for the most likely suspects. His almond one was very clear.

We have 2 epipens and antihistamines on us at all times and an emergency bag in his classroom, available for instant access. We also have inhalers as he is asthmatic too.

Good luck getting it all sorted

#5503 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Terrifying story. As I read through it, I kept remembering what happened just a few days ago with my son. We haven't discovered the trigger yet, but it is after he ate one of my protein bars. The ingredients are terrible on those things and any one of those 50 ingredients could have been the trigger.

It sounds like subsequent anaphylactic shocks get stronger and stronger and we will have to train his kindergarten teacher on how to give him the shot in case it happens when he is in school.

He was all evening in the hospital because his blood pressure would not come down. I guess that was the effect of the epi shot.

Scary stuff -- I had read and heard that each anaphylactic episode can be worse than the last -- very scary no matter our age, but must be terrifying for a little one.  My BP was thru the roof from the epi - it did go back to my normal BP within a few hours -- but the whole episode does knock the stuffing out of you.

Mindwarp is right -- we had practiced in our family too -- I had got a bit lax with carrying two pens -- no more -- I no longer switch between purse and backpacks...the two pens are in my bright orange backpack (or in my riding jersey if I'm on my bike) - everyone in my family knows where they are and my new MedAlert bracelet is simply going to say EPI PENS in pocket OR orange backpack -- just in case I cant talk and need to have a stranger's help. -- practice made our first emergency go much more smoothly -- sure hope there is never another!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAS

#5504 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Another good reminder for me,,, to get a medi alert bracelet. We're having him tested on Wednesday, so hopefully we will find out the trigger soon.

Scary stuff -- I had read and heard that each anaphylactic episode can be worse than the last -- very scary no matter our age, but must be terrifying for a little one.  My BP was thru the roof from the epi - it did go back to my normal BP within a few hours -- but the whole episode does knock the stuffing out of you.

Mindwarp is right -- we had practiced in our family too -- I had got a bit lax with carrying two pens -- no more -- I no longer switch between purse and backpacks...the two pens are in my bright orange backpack (or in my riding jersey if I'm on my bike) - everyone in my family knows where they are and my new MedAlert bracelet is simply going to say EPI PENS in pocket OR orange backpack -- just in case I cant talk and need to have a stranger's help. -- practice made our first emergency go much more smoothly -- sure hope there is never another!

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

#5505 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Snow day... or rather wind day. So no classes today. We're under a blizzard warning as well.

Who knows what i'll do for dinner.

About the epi-pens, confirm with the school if a student can have them in their backpack. They may not allow it and require it to be kept with the school nurse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: