9580 replies to this topic

#5521 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I think I have an addiction. We had a late lunch with burgers, and I smothered mine in fried shrooms, onions and peppers with some cheese so I didn't even think about supper til late. By the time I was hungry all I wanted was mac & cheese. This is the danger in buying a 5 pound brick of cheese at Costco. I wasn't super hungry so all I had was the mac & cheese. :ph34r:

Depends... what type of cheese?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#5522 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Tillamook medium cheddar. My husband prefers a milder cheddar and I am all about the sharpest I can get my hands on so we compromise. I usually add a little something else, but was feeling too lazy to shred my mozz tonight. (Yes, even though I have the KitchenAid attachment.)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5523 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Tillamook medium cheddar. My husband prefers a milder cheddar and I am all about the sharpest I can get my hands on so we compromise. I usually add a little something else, but was feeling too lazy to shred my mozz tonight. (Yes, even though I have the KitchenAid attachment.)

I love that brand. I prefer medium, but sharp is a bit much for me. Mild is okay.

#5524 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Tillamook is sooooo good!! And buying it in huge bricks at Costco is still half the price of the cheap cheese at any other store. I know it is just cheese and some people would talk about how it shouldn't matter, the kind of thing parents saving money lie to kids about, but it really matters what brand you buy.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5525 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

So it was confirmed as a peanut allergy and the doctor said it is a strong one.

We did suspect he had a peanut allergy because when he was about a yr and half, he had a minor reaction on a plane and we thought it might be the peanuts they served and that we ate them and then touched him or he touched the food trays.

Then about a year ago he was at a play date and the parents of his friend called and said he ate some Ritz crackers with peanut butter filling and that we should pick him up. He was fine that evening and I started to relax about it.

And then he has this strong reaction to a protein bar and the scratch test shows a definite positive to peanuts.

I don't get it and feel stupid. I can't believe we actually relaxed about peanuts given what we now know.

Scary stuff -- I had read and heard that each anaphylactic episode can be worse than the last -- very scary no matter our age, but must be terrifying for a little one.  My BP was thru the roof from the epi - it did go back to my normal BP within a few hours -- but the whole episode does knock the stuffing out of you.

Mindwarp is right -- we had practiced in our family too -- I had got a bit lax with carrying two pens -- no more -- I no longer switch between purse and backpacks...the two pens are in my bright orange backpack (or in my riding jersey if I'm on my bike) - everyone in my family knows where they are and my new MedAlert bracelet is simply going to say EPI PENS in pocket OR orange backpack -- just in case I cant talk and need to have a stranger's help. -- practice made our first emergency go much more smoothly -- sure hope there is never another!

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

#5526 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

Bad at posting everyday so here is this week so far:

Sun - grilled pork chops marinated in garlic, pepper and Worcestershire sauce, red potatoes in olive oil foil packets, salad
Mon- popped tomato , turkey Ital sausage and arugula pasta
Tue- through rice, chicken, Rotel, and corn in the crockpot
Wed- " impossible cheeseburger pie" & salad with strawberries and Brianna's vinegrette
Thur- left overs after the Lax game

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5527 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

found turkey necks and wings at the market this morning so a huge pot of turkey soup -- doesn't feel much like soup whether -- but it is my Mom's favorite so I'll pack some up for her lunch tomorrow

:ph34r: oh and still have a very long honey-do list for this weekend so a peach upside down cake :ph34r:

:ph34r: continues my campaign of bribes :ph34r:

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5528 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Clever girl. Bribery works. ;) I'm bribing mine too, Right now, he's cleaning out the basement as I have just made his fav

Giant Oatmeal Granola Cookies.They are a powerhouse of goodness.  I should really post that recipe on here. I pilfered liberally from various recipes out there and changed a few things in it, so I figure it makes it mine. Sort of. 

Last night, we had Split Pea and Ham soup ( but I cannot take the credit for it. My friend Sherry Lynn made it at her gluten-free cafe and bakery and it was Deeeee-lishus! as my dear old Dad used to say.

Tonight, I'm thinking chicken surprise (cuz I'll be surprised if I work up the enthusiasm to cook it)

Back at the gym this week and resuming my efforts to get my muscles in better shape.

I had to refrain from being a tad irked when I hear these young thin chickies at the gym declare "oh, I went gluten-free during the last week to try it and I lost weight and I feel great!"  <_<  good for you.

Someday, I figure I'll say "I went gluten-free during the last decade and I feel great"

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5529 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Tonight, I'm thinking chicken surprise (cuz I'll be surprised if I work up the enthusiasm to cook it)

I found this hysterical. :lol: :lol: My husband may think I'm crazy because I'm always off in my corner laughing.

I managed today to roll myself out of bed, get dressed and ready and get dinner in a crock pot all before 1 so I can take off to the doctor. I even managed to apply a blow dryer to my head so I don't look like a mangy animal when I leave the house.

Dinner tonight will just be some carrots and onions and celery I threw in the crock pot with a pork roast. Apparently I found out my best friend got tickets to a concert for her birthday next week which is a surprise and she doesn't know  yet, but I'll have to work for her on Thursday. So I'll take a little of that roast and veggies and some of my mac & cheese and freeze them so I don't have to figure out a work lunch at the last minute. I hate figuring out work lunches, and hate taking salads when it isn't summer.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5530 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I had to refrain from being a tad irked when I hear these young thin chickies at the gym declare "oh, I went gluten-free during the last week to try it and I lost weight and I feel great!"  <_<  good for you.

:angry: those little girls always piss me off -- but I :D and carry on -- here is a hint -- watch out for Lisa with a big-assed smile -- it means something devious is in the works! 

Normal :) -- that is generally me and "usually" sincere.

One of my kids had a "vegetarian" over last weekend -- I have nothing about vegies or folks that choose to eat only vegies -- but understand what you are trying to accomplish -- this little bitchy one bugs the $#!t out of me on a regular basis - so I make meat that smells mouthwatering on purpose and watch all the other teens at the table make "I'm in heaven sounds" while she eats the lovely colorful salad I always provide - oh ya --- I am evil :lol:

Someday, I figure I'll say "I went gluten-free during the last decade and I feel great"

Darn tootin' you will and it will not take a decade -- but sure does feel like it some days :wub:

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5531 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

made venison goulash w/corn "egg noodles" last night - something is bugging my insides and i hope it wasn't that......  :(  

i get really brave, then it's back to the food journal.  maybe strawberries just hate me.  i even made sure they were from california.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5532 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Tonight I'm throwing a meatloaf in the oven just to be simple.

I went to the grocery store for the first time in over a year today and didn't have a panic attack!!! :)

Tonight I am going to try to go with my husband to take my daughter to dance, fingers crossed...it's a bit further and haven't been there in over 2 years.

#5533 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I went to the grocery store for the first time in over a year today and didn't have a panic attack!!! :)

Tonight I am going to try to go with my husband to take my daughter to dance, fingers crossed...it's a bit further and haven't been there in over 2 years.

ALEX!! This is me upon reading these words (it's crazy, but this emoticon looks exactly like me!!)

oh honey, I know how much this means to you and I am so very, very happy for you... whoohoo!!!! You can do this tonight! 

excited-girl-smiley-emoticon.gif

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#5534 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

- here is a hint -- watch out for Lisa with a big-assed smile -- it means something devious is in the works! 

I know I wouldn't screw with you ... :ph34r:

Darn tootin' you will and it will not take a decade -- but sure does feel like it some days :wub:

It better not. I've got crazy mad BIG plans  :wub:  :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#5535 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

I found this hysterical. :lol: :lol: My husband may think I'm crazy because I'm always off in my corner laughing.

I've been known to get the quizzical look when I guffaw out loud. Karen's one-liners on emails, for example often prompt those.

By the time I explain it,  he's not interested anymore.  I think our humor on here is more of a "you had to be there" kinda thing.

:D

made venison goulash w/corn "egg noodles" last night - something is bugging my insides and i hope it wasn't that......   :(

i get really brave, then it's back to the food journal.  maybe strawberries just hate me.  i even made sure they were from california.

SkiLIsa and I share a common issue of histamine intolerance.

Strawberries are a main culprit as are tomatoes and they can "bug my insides" too.

Maybe that's all it is? Hope so! I know you enjoy your venison (poor Bambi. :(:lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: