This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm sure that it all depends on the tastes of the person....but I made a bunch of gluten free baked doughnuts and took them to a fall festival last fall. They also had regular gluten fried doughnuts. My gluten free doughnuts were eaten much more quickly than the gluten doughnuts. 

Of course, the gluten doughnuts were plain ones and my gluten free ones were blueberry orange with glaze. I wouldn't know whether the other ones were gross or not since I didn't eat them.  :P

They sound delicious to me, Ruth. . I don't believe I have ever had a baked donut, but I try anything once! ("the things I like, I try em twice" )

<<quick Ski, what song is that from??? tick tock

I don't need to have fried things, so if there's a way to eat something tasty without deep frying it, I'm all for it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

kareng Grand Master

Here's my recipe: http://preventionrd.com/2011/07/orange-glazed-blueberry-doughnuts/

I just sub gluten free flour for the gluten flour and do any dairy modifications needed. IIRC, you do milk, so all you would need is to swap the flour out.

Those look nice.  I might try them.  I just don't really need to eat them....

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm going to go get myself some vegan "seafood" from the health food store and have it for supper.

So thrilled to find a company that makes vegan fish analogs that are all gluten free! They even have vegan, gluten free, soy free canned "tuna." I could totally see where they would up the convenience factor if I threw that with some packets of mayo into my kitchen box. (I'm not vegan, just ovo veg. so I'd go with regular mayo)

One really hard thing about being gluten free and vegetarian is that most of the vegetarian analog products are loaded with gluten. It's exciting to have some companies come out with some acceptable options. My other favorite is Beyond Meat products. Their products are certified gluten free!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Those look nice.  I might try them.  I just don't really need to eat them....

They're only 98 calories.....

Adalaide Mentor

I don't have anything against baked donuts, I think that since they're available in stores for us though that some of us just really miss what we think of as donuts. And I try not to lie to myself about baked goods, there's nothing healthy about them anyway so I just do whatever makes me happy and try to eat in moderation. My exception to that rule is donuts. :ph34r: My husband would probably like those donuts. Blueberries and oranges are two of his favorite things.

IrishHeart Veteran

They're only 98 calories.....

FANTASTIC!! Maybe I will check them out. Thanks, Ruth. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I never really ate many doughnuts pre-gluten-free anyway nor did I miss them 99.9% of the time after going gluten-free. So probably my perspective is different due to that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I never really ate many doughnuts pre-gluten-free anyway nor did I miss them 99.9% of the time after going gluten-free. So probably my perspective is different due to that.

I never ate doughnuts much either. In fact, the first doughnut I had that I can recall was a G F one at my friend's G F bakery. It was pretty amazing to eat one warm and still dripping with glaze 

I think your doughnut recipe looks amazing. I think the pics even made me drool a bit. ^_^

SMRI Collaborator

I don't think any of us were interested in a baked donut. I know some people look for a healthy version of every treat, and that's great for people who are into that. But when I want a donut, I want a donut and I know that from the start there is nothing healthy about it so I want what I remember a donut being so I want to go all the way with it. The good ones are fried. I think a lot of us just plain old aren't fans of cake donuts. I like the Dunkin Donuts glazed style donuts. OMG now my mouth is watering from talking about it. I think it may be time to order another bag. :ph34r:

I'm making a couple chuck tender steaks for dinner tonight. I think I have beans ready in the garden again and I may check to see if any corn is ready. Some sort of veggie type object will sort itself out by supper. I need to run some errands, pick up prescriptions and go get a haircut today. I'm still debating how much I'll get cut off. I might go crazy and go all the way up to my shoulders, I'm feeling adventurous. :blink:

I generally don't eat donuts for the health aspect either :D.  Our Sunday tradition since I was a little kid was to get donuts for Sunday morning...they were the fluffy, fried, glazed donuts usually with chocolate frosting :D.  I like cake donuts too but not as much as I like the chocolate glazed donuts :D.  The frozen gluten-free ones I have are baked....but they are not good!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I never ate doughnuts much either. In fact, the first doughnut I had that I can recall was a G F one at my friend's G F bakery. It was pretty amazing to eat one warm and still dripping with glaze 

I think your doughnut recipe looks amazing. I think the pics even made me drool a bit. ^_^

It is very good! When I took them to the fall fest last year, one of the little kids who did the doughnut eating contest with the regular doughnuts said to his Grandma, "Grammy, the blueberry ones were way better than the ones that we ate for the contest!"

The kid who said that, did not know that they were baked or that they were gluten free!

IrishHeart Veteran

Damn you, easy to click a mazon prime! I don't need a donut pan!! ^_^

Ski, do you remember where the choc donut recipe Moosie Jamie posted? Maybe Ruth would like that one too. yo....James...are you there??? Karen, you call her...when you yell for me, I always hear you. lmao 

GottaSki Mentor

qJGOJaybJeARYZKCeQDrjOwMSAANFiyEsBqY-610

The donuts were made using the recipe from this website: http://freeeatsfood.com/2012/02/06/chocolate-doughnuts-with-butterscotch-glaze-and-salted-almonds/

The glaze was a honey/powdered sugar glaze and then I added a tbsp of cocoa powder to get the chocolate glaze. The flour I used in the recipe was a new flour I have never used before.. it was given to me by my best friend after she went to Bend, OR. Apparently her friend's roommate started a gluten-free flour company called AKulinary Innovations. It worked really well. It had xanthan gum already in it so I was kinda worried. But it worked out!

Bumping Jamie's post because these baked donuts are awesome...all this donut talk made me search for this recipe...time for some sinful chocolate glazed donuts again around here.

Dinner is something in KFG....not feeling great so dumping some meat in there seems like an excellent plan to me ;)

Edited...lol...Here you go Irish! You type faster than I'm thinking today :)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Ski, do you remember where the choc donut recipe Moosie Jamie posted? Maybe Ruth would like that one too. yo....James...are you there??? Karen, you call her...when you yell for me, I always hear you. lmao 

LOL!

IrishHeart Veteran

Thank you Lisa sweets!! Those are the ones i was talking about! 

I have sherried onion soup in the KFG and my house smells FAB!!!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Sorry.  :ph34r:  It's too bad that all of us celiac.com people aren't neighbors. I would totally lend you my doughnut pan!

IrishHeart Veteran

Sorry.  :ph34r:  It's too bad that all of us celiac.com people aren't neighbors. I would totally lend you my doughnut pan!

Oh, honey...if you were my neighbor, I'd just eat your doughnuts.  ^_^

BlessedMommy Rising Star

LOL!

I've been having a heartfelt desire to have a real celiac cook for me. I miss eating other people's cooking.

This weekend, a lady who claimed to be sensitive to gluten wanted to cook for me. I asked her a few questions about her kitchen and then graciously turned down her offer and told her that it was really no trouble to bring my own food. Later in the weekend, I saw her eating pasta salad, dessert, etc. at a party. Yikes! Beware the fad dieters!

kareng Grand Master

Thank you Lisa sweets!! Those are the ones i was talking about! 

I have sherried onion soup in the KFG and my house smells FAB!!!

Oh, honey...if you were my neighbor, I'd just eat your doughnuts.  ^_^

I would just Irish's soup & Ruth's donuts.

Ruth's fake seafood..... sorry... I can't get into that.   :D But I am happy you found something you enjoy!

Irish - what recipe are you using for that soup?

Last night we just had some cheese and crackers and fruit and wine.  Hub went to the garden store.  A cute little 10 year old girl had set up a table selling honey.  She explained the whole procedure to my hub.  Her honey was only $5 a bottle.  Its sooooo yummy.  We put it on some goat cheese (OK... we also just put it on spoons, too).

Neighbors picked apples and made apple pies.  They brought hub one.  They don't know about my Celiac.  That's OK.  He got a nice piece of pie and put the rest in the freezer for next weekend.  It will just be awkward if they see me before they see him and ask how the pie was.....  

Ruth - what flour did you use for the donuts?  I have tried a few but some seem better for some foods than others.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I don't remember. I think that maybe BRM flour mix?

I don't know how the fish sticks compare to regular since I've never had regular fish sticks. But they are tasty and safe! :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish - what recipe are you using for that soup?

I adapted it from Stephanie O'Dea's--changed a few of the amounts to make more.. 

4 cups of beef broth ( I use the 32 oz. carton of Kitchen  Basics)

4 tablespoons butter
3 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced in rings
1/2 tablespoon white granulated sugar
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 

--heat your crockpot to high and plop your butter in to start melting
--slice the yellow onions into rings & break up the onion slices with your fingers, and rub them around in the melted butter
--add the beef broth, sugar, salt, and sherry
--cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 10-12. It takes a while for the onions to get translucent and pliable

I make a baguette, then melt cheese on it for dunking, instead of messing with crocks under the broiler. I'm lazy. 

Read more: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/03/french-onion-soup-crockpot-recipe.html#ixzz3CBiPNZQ5

kareng Grand Master

I don't remember. I think that maybe BRM flour mix?

I don't know how the fish sticks compare to regular since I've never had regular fish sticks. But they are tasty and safe! :D

I adapted it from Stephanie O'Dea's--changed a few of the amounts to make more.. 

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 

--slice the yellow onions into rings & break up the onion slices with your fingers, and rub them around in the melted butter
--cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 10-12. It takes a while for the onions to get translucent and pliable

I make a baguette, then melt cheese on it for dunking, instead of messing with crocks under the broiler. I'm lazy. 

Read more: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/03/french-onion-soup-crockpot-recipe.html#ixzz3CBiPNZQ5

Thanks.

SMRI Collaborator

I have no desire to cook anything tonight.  I wish I had some frozen pizza or something in the freezer!!!  I might have some gluten-free noodles--I can make spaghetti or something easy.

GottaSki Mentor

4 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup sherry

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 

I make a baguette, then melt cheese on it for dunking, instead of messing with crocks under the broiler. I'm lazy. Read more: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/03/french-onion-soup-crockpot-recipe.html#ixzz3CBiPNZQ5

Yum

IrishHeart Veteran

Yum

Ski, my sweet...You know I don't lie....this french onion soup is fantastic. YUM indeed. :)

lol.....J says: Tell the girls....it's "deliciouso".

That's his best compliment....well, that and licking the spoon and the bowl and giving my some hugs and lovins.  ^_^

and happily cleaning up....

Adalaide Mentor

It doesn't matter how awesome dinner is, I've never gotten my husband to clean up for me. I've gotten help, but he's never straight up done it for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. <_<