This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

French Onion Soup :D

Thinking I may whip up a batch of the ATK biscuits to go with...gotta go check if we have yogurt.............................................

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

SMRI Collaborator

Tonight--who knows--probably some crackers and cheese and toostie rolls....

GottaSki Mentor

No yogurt so going to make Brazilian Cheese Bread in donut pans instead.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm going to make some oven baked sweet potato fries. Meijer finally brought back the bags of Earthbound Farms organic sweet potatoes. We enjoy them so much, my husband likes to eat a baked one with no butter or anything, because they're so sweet!

IrishHeart Veteran

French Onion Soup :D

is your house smelling fragrant yet??  ^_^ pretty awesome, eh?

GottaSki Mentor

is your house smelling fragrant yet??  ^_^ pretty awesome, eh?

lol...right now smells like beef broth brewing...which it is...will change to making soup soon :D

GottaSki Mentor

I adapted it from Stephanie O'Dea's--changed a few of the amounts to make more.. 

4 cups of beef broth ( I use the 32 oz. carton of Kitchen  Basics)

4 tablespoons butter
3 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced in rings
1/2 tablespoon white granulated sugar
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 

--heat your crockpot to high and plop your butter in to start melting
--slice the yellow onions into rings & break up the onion slices with your fingers, and rub them around in the melted butter
--add the beef broth, sugar, salt, and sherry
--cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 10-12. It takes a while for the onions to get translucent and pliable

I make a baguette, then melt cheese on it for dunking, instead of messing with crocks under the broiler. I'm lazy. 

Read more: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/03/french-onion-soup-crockpot-recipe.html#ixzz3CBiPNZQ5

Shit, no Sherry in da house....guess I'll pick up some yogurt too. 

Our freezer was low on meat supply last week so I've been shopping a lot lately...was hoping to skip the store...at least it has really, really cold AC :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Gonna make a pork tenderloin tonight. The cook it in its own bag type, no real cleanup and we'll have a bit of meat leftover for a few nights. We picked up some of those microwave "ramen" noodle meals for me for the next few nights so I'll have warm food before falling into bed. It'll be good to have meat to add to it. I am going to go fall off the planet into geek heaven for three days. I'll see you all on Sunday.

IrishHeart Veteran

Shit, no Sherry in da house....guess I'll pick up some yogurt too. 

Our freezer was low on meat supply last week so I've been shopping a lot lately...was hoping to skip the store...at least it has really, really cold AC :)

she says you can sub white wine. My inner Julia has never believed that is true....Long before I made this crockpot recipe, I always used sherry in my french onion soup. ....definitely sherry. 

IrishHeart Veteran

Gonna make a pork tenderloin tonight. The cook it in its own bag type, no real cleanup and we'll have a bit of meat leftover for a few nights. We picked up some of those microwave "ramen" noodle meals for me for the next few nights so I'll have warm food before falling into bed. It'll be good to have meat to add to it. I am going to go fall off the planet into geek heaven for three days. I'll see you all on Sunday.

have a good time!!!   bye bye   super-hero-flying-away-smiley-emoticon.g

GottaSki Mentor

she says you can sub white wine. My inner Julia has never believed that is true....Long before I made this crockpot recipe, I always used sherry in my french onion soup. ....definitely sherry. 

for some things i've used the white wine sub...but when it's a key ingredient -- it's not the same.

No worries...Sandie is in training on adventures...needed to go trade cars with one of the guys shortly anywho so will take Super Sandie along and make it an adventure!

IrishHeart Veteran

for some things i've used the white wine sub...but when it's a key ingredient -- it's not the same.

No worries...Sandie is in training on adventures...needed to go trade cars with one of the guys shortly anywho so will take Super Sandie along and make it an adventure!

Super Sandie goes shopping with Ski for sherry by the seashore....say that a few times, sookie.  B)

GottaSki Mentor

oh goodie...need some wine reinforcements anywho...the sherry will count as one of 6 bottles at the grocery to qualify for 10% discount.

Win-Win ;)

GottaSki Mentor

Super Sandie goes shopping with Ski for sherry by the seashore....say that a few times, sookie.  B)

lmao

Super Sandie goes shopping with Ski for Sherry by the seashore in the sunshine!!!!

GottaSki Mentor

If your con is becoming larger...check and see if there are several panels you want in the same room...sometimes it pays to stay in that room for whatever is sandwiched between them...ours gives out bathroom break passes too...so make sure you get those if they are passing them out ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

lmao

Super Sandie goes shopping with Ski for Sherry by the seashore in the sunshine!!!!

spectacular. lmao

kareng Grand Master

lmao

I need some sherry and some wine, too!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

The kids are making a fruit salad. We're going to serve the fruit salad with some coconut whipped cream. The rest of the meal is sweet potato fries, baked tofu, and leftover rice.

IrishHeart Veteran

I need some sherry and some wine, too!

come over here, there's plenty and you can have some of the lasagne I made for dinner tonight too. (not in the KFG) the old school way

where it will likely spill and ruin my oven. (yes, yes, i put something under it...) 

kareng Grand Master

come over here, there's plenty and you can have some of the lasagne I made for dinner tonight too. (not in the KFG) the old school way

where it will likely spill and ruin my oven. (yes, yes, i put something under it...) 

Thanks I will be right over!

I got this pan and it is great for lasagna.  The sides are taller than a regular pan.  

http://www.wishpot.com/product/bobby-flay-stoneware-lasagna-pan/35748279

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks I will be right over!

I got this pan and it is great for lasagna.  The sides are taller than a regular pan.  

http://www.wishpot.com/product/bobby-flay-stoneware-lasagna-pan/35748279

Oh I like that pan!!!!

GottaSki Mentor

Sherry is bought, wine too....now back to playing with super Sandie

IrishHeart Veteran

That is a nice pan and honestly, the sides of my lasagne pan are plenty deep....it's just me, you know, Lucy and the inevitable almost always occurs.  ^_^ ah, what can I say,,,except thank heavens for the creator of the self-cleaning oven? . lol

Well, you've all got wine and I've got vodka, so, cheers! 

SMRI Collaborator

Well, strike one for my first night at the hotel.  NO refrigerator or microwave in the room.  The guy at the desk offered to store my food in the fridge in the employee area so that is good.  The hotel is next door to a grocery store so I walk over to find something for dinner.  I finally found some cut salami that was gluten-free so I added that to the cheese and crackers I brought for snacks.  I was hoping to get something hot at the deli but the girl gave me the deer in the headlights look and said "gluten, that's sugar right"..so I passed.  The only restaurant in town besides Kentucky Fried Chicken is called Bread, Brew and something....nothing gluten-free there.  One more night here...

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, strike one for my first night at the hotel.  NO refrigerator or microwave in the room.  The guy at the desk offered to store my food in the fridge in the employee area so that is good.  The hotel is next door to a grocery store so I walk over to find something for dinner.  I finally found some cut salami that was gluten-free so I added that to the cheese and crackers I brought for snacks.  I was hoping to get something hot at the deli but the girl gave me the deer in the headlights look and said "gluten, that's sugar right"..so I passed.  The only restaurant in town besides Kentucky Fried Chicken is called Bread, Brew and something....nothing gluten-free there.  One more night here...

I am stumped by this because I just traveled over 1300 miles in 2 weeks and I found food at every grocery store even in a tiny town in Southern Georgia.. I also made sure I got hotel rooms with a fridge and a micro. It's just better for us if those things are available. Or at least find one with a micro in the lobby.

You have to assemble a to-go kit with a knife, some utensils, zip locks, paper plates, paper towels, bowls I picked up at Walmart's for a buck--that sort of thing. I have a small bottle of dishwashing soap too.

Not picking on you here, hon--not at all!

but seriously....  advance planning is essential and every supermarket has food you can eat. Almost all packaged deli meat  is gluten free. It is RARE for gluten to be in deli meat (mortadella is about the one that any company has ever told me will contain it)

You can eat ,Cheese, yogurt, fruit, cut up veggies, peanut butter. Bring crunchmaster crackers, kind bars, chex G F cereal, nuts etc....buy a small bottle of milk. Did you bring ANYTHING with you? I also have canned soup and a can opener in my car when I travel.  

it's not good to be hungry when you are trying to recover.