9633 replies to this topic

#5821 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Oh wow, that came out good. I subbed 1/2 a cup of olive oil for the stick of butter required. While you can kinda taste the oil, its a heck of a lot lighter than the butter version. I only added butter to the crumble on top.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#5822 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

hey! that's a great idea! how did it turn out? how was the crust - what would you compare it to? thin crust? squishy? fluffy?

my daughter's friend used to be the manager of our local domino's - i bet she could get them to sell to me... :)

Well, the crust was ok. Not as good as Pamela's mix. I'll have to post our Pamela's modifications in the recipe section. But it was good enough. Thinner than most and got floppy during cooking. Next time I'll do it on the griddle.

Tonight was a family feast. Ribs, fried okra, hash brown casserole, sweet potatoes and roasted root veggies, green beans, and flourless chocolate cake. Whoa. Fed 18 people in our house and not one of them missed the gluten. Life is good.

9 year old daughter diagnosed celiac November / December 2012
Postive endoscopy / biopsy, positive antibody test, positive genetic test

She's been gluten free since diagnosis. I've been gluten free with her since Jan 2013.

#5823 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Well, the crust was ok. Not as good as Pamela's mix. I'll have to post our Pamela's modifications in the recipe section. But it was good enough. Thinner than most and got floppy during cooking. Next time I'll do it on the griddle.

Tonight was a family feast. Ribs, fried okra, hash brown casserole, sweet potatoes and roasted root veggies, green beans, and flourless chocolate cake. Whoa. Fed 18 people in our house and not one of them missed the gluten. Life is good.

Yum!

Life is good.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5824 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

My chicken nuggets were okay. They weren't fantabulous, but they good. The sort of thing I think I could stand to keep around for when I am just not feeling up to cooking. My spicy blackberry mustard sauce was awesome. I was a little worried because when I first tasted it I thought I was going to take the roof of my mouth off, but a little honey smoothed it out and it isn't like you're eating it from a spoon on a nugget. I cooked a pot of brown sugar apple sauce to go with it.

Nothing fancy like cakes, but I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll work up the enthusiasm to make apple muffins.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5825 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

You will.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5826 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

Life is good :)

Fantastic that it is for some of you too :)

(Fingers crossed for those who are on the way to good)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5827 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

I agree! Life is very good indeed!

Well, I liked that pot roast in the slow cooker thinger so much, it's happening again today.  :D

We've got a new fridge coming today (the last thing I am buying for the new owners; they can replace the cabinets!)

I have some gardening to do and I have hundred off books and CDs to sort through, donate, pack up or throw.

It seems these things multiply like tribbles. :blink:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5828 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Oh i wish i could have some of the stuff you guys are making. Too busy to cook at the moment.

I've got... 3-6 papers to do (ranging from 2 -21 pages), going over homework i thought i was fully completed, studying for three finals, and doing one take home final.

This stupid cold really set me back. I had planned on doing most of the papers this past week, but no <_<

I'm not much of a procrastinator though. I get a lot of homework during the week and weekend. And reading. Lots and lots of reading.

shadow:  you sound like my daughter right now.  i had never heard of "dead week" lolz - she will be done with this semester (for the summer, i think!) on friday.  in the meantime, i am trying not to distract her.  feel better!!  you will do great  :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5829 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

cool!!!!

gotta try this soon :)

we *do* play with our food, don't we?!! :D  i'm now thinking i could probably use kind of the same technique, except with lasagne noodles, cut them into rectangles and fill with egg roll filling.  they would be still sticky enough to hold together, i think, and then fry the whole mess in olive  canola oil.  (one of these days ima get another deep fryer)

i feel a kitchen-wrecking coming on ;)

(edited to change olive to canola oil)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#5830 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Oh wow, that came out good. I subbed 1/2 a cup of olive oil for the stick of butter required. While you can kinda taste the oil, its a heck of a lot lighter than the butter version. I only added butter to the crumble on top.

Olive oil can have a strong flavor.  Light olive oil might be better in baking.

http://www.walmart.c...wl5=pla&veh=sem

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5831 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Last night we had chicken tacos and this veggie mix  http://www.walmart.c...-14-oz/10791050

It was quite tasty and simple veggie mix.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5832 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Glad your slow cooker thinger is getting some use! Mine is today with a pork roast. I'll also be picking up some Panela at the market and making some fried cheese to use up that berry mustard sauce.

One of these days I'll get up the guts to try different types of beans. The few I have tried have all turned out badly and right now I'm just no up to losing my vision to a bean again. Stoopid beans. <_<

Aaaaaand..... I got rang out of bed at 10 o'freakin'clock in the morning today for an interview! Woohoo! It is only as a backup secretary so it is super super part time, but that is probably all I am up to just now and it will probably suit me just fine. It is also what I went to freakin college for so I'm thrilled at the shot. I'm crossing my fingers. :D Life is in fact good. Except the no chocolate part, which is a rule I will break quite happily to celebrate today if I land a new job.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5833 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

yay, addy!!!!  :lol: hope you get it!

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#5834 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

Aaaaaand..... I got rang out of bed at 10 o'freakin'clock in the morning today for an interview! Woohoo! It is only as a backup secretary so it is super super part time, but that is probably all I am up to just now and it will probably suit me just fine. It is also what I went to freakin college for so I'm thrilled at the shot. I'm crossing my fingers. :D Life is in fact good. Except the no chocolate part, which is a rule I will break quite happily to celebrate today if I land a new job.

whoohoo!! Go get 'em girl! and if you get it, we'll all have chocolate!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5835 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

shadow:  you sound like my daughter right now.  i had never heard of "dead week" lolz - she will be done with this semester (for the summer, i think!) on friday.  in the meantime, i am trying not to distract her.  feel better!!  you will do great   :)

Yep, its the week before finals.

I'm making mac and cheese to go with my cake. Some sort of veggie with it as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: