9532 replies to this topic

#5986 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

I use Bush's... GFand tasty enough (i doctor them a little)

Sorry to hear Kansas does not have any Boston baked bean pots :o :D

I have my Gramma's and I just assumed everyone owned one 

You could try this one:.

Never had anything from leite's culinaria turn out awful.  :) Love2travel is also a big fan of that site.

scroll down to the slow cooker variation and use the bacon!

http://leitesculinar...aked-beans.html

I've got hubs Great-Grandfather's bean pot -- he loved to cook and had three -- came in handy when three great-grands were fighting over whom was going to get the bean pot!!!

This recipe looks great...and will be used one Sunday or another -- Thanks!!!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#5987 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

holy smokes...those lemon thingers look good, Ski.

My pal Elaine loved the lemon bars I made for her, but those are faster!

thanks, toots ;) .

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5988 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

I've got hubs Great-Grandfather's bean pot -- he loved to cook and had three -- came in handy when three great-grands were fighting over whom was going to get the bean pot!!!

This recipe looks great...and will be used one Sunday or another -- Thanks!!!

please note--- those are not authentic Boston baked beans...but they got rave reviews. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#5989 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

holy smokes...those lemon thingers look good, Ski.

My pal Elaine loved the lemon bars I made for her, but those are faster!

thanks, toots ;) .

was glad they popped up on my FB page...sooo much easier than lemon squares...which Mom and I love -- nice to be able to bring them to her regularly :)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#5990 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

please note--- those are not authentic Boston baked beans...but they got rave reviews. :)

Ok...what is an authentic Boston Baked Bean Recipe?  Not sure my Nana's is boston either.

edited to add...still going to try this recipe one day soon tho -- they look great!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5991 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

Ok...what is an authentic Boston Baked Bean Recipe?  Not sure my Nana's is boston either.

edited to add...still going to try this recipe one day soon tho -- they look great!

Boston Baked Beans (seems they can also be made in a "dutch oven" --as her note card states)

1 lb. dry white beans

1/4 lb. salt pork 

1 medium onion, diced 

2 TBLS. sugar ( can use brown sugar, if preferred)

1/2 cup molasses

1 tsp, dry mustard

soak beans overnight/par boil about 5 minutes.

drain, but save the liquid

Place drained beans , salt pork,onion in pot.

Mix remaining ingredients w/some of the drained liquid and pour over the beans.

then, add enough of the liquid to cover the beans.

Cover the pot.

Bake @ 300 for 6 hours.  Check liquid level every hour and  add more if needed.

(depends on your oven and humidity and if it is snowing**). 

(***this is written on a card by my mother from her mother's verbal recollection of how she made them--this was my French-Canadian grandmother) :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#5992 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Boston Baked Beans (seems they can also be made in a "dutch oven" --as her note card states)

1 lb. dry white beans

1/4 lb. salt pork 

1 medium onion, diced 

2 TBLS. sugar ( can use brown sugar, if preferred)

1/2 cup molasses

1 tsp, dry mustard

soak beans overnight/par boil about 5 minutes.

drain, but save the liquid

Place drained beans , salt pork,onion in pot.

Mix remaining ingredients w/some of the drained liquid and pour over the beans.

then, add enough of the liquid to cover the beans.

Cover the pot.

Bake @ 300 for 6 hours.  Check liquid level every hour and  add more if needed.

(depends on your oven and humidity and if it is snowing**). 

(***this is written on a card by my mother from her mother's verbal recollection of how she made them--this was my French-Canadian grandmother) :lol:

Awesome...this is almost exactly like Nana's -- but she baked in a rectangle pan too -- to make them crispier -- my Father's family has a thing about making the top crispy -- Dad always tries to get Mexican restaurants to "crispy" his refried beans -- I fear his crisp may actually be spit on occasion :P

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5993 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

Awesome...this is almost exactly like Nana's -- but she baked in a rectangle pan too -- to make them crispier -- my Father's family has a thing about making the top crispy -- Dad always tries to get Mexican restaurants to "crispy" his refried beans -- I fear his crisp may actually be spit on occasion :P

:lol:

I take the lid off the pot at the end too. I don't like them soupy, I like them "toothy". 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#5994 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Red Wine Vinegar and Red Wine Braised Chicken Thighs (with a host of wondrous flavours)

Smashed Roasted Garlic and Chive Potatoes

Minted Peas

Homemade Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Rosemary

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5995 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

ok...we are having beans and now i have to wash my hands and hubs laptop keyboard as i dug thru my old gluten filled recipe box :)

I like to use a lasagna rectangle so there is more bacon -- and any cheap maple syrup is fine...

2 hours @ 350 degrees!!!

Not to be dumb but....is the bacon cooked? How much maple syrup?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5996 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Not to be dumb but....is the bacon cooked? How much maple syrup?

I cut the bacon in half...leave it raw and completely cover the beans -- when it bakes it shrinks so I try not to have too many pieces touching.

Maple syrup is about 1/2 cup for the pretty large can of bush's original beans...you can't goof....I'm making a huge batch today with one half of the industrial sized can (7 pound can) and will probably add about a cup of syrup, one smaller sized red onion chopped and bacon to cover...hoping it will be one pound or I'll have to defrost another pound.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5997 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Red Wine Vinegar and Red Wine Braised Chicken Thighs (with a host of wondrous flavours)

Smashed Roasted Garlic and Chive Potatoes

Minted Peas

Homemade Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Rosemary

oh, how great to see you back and  to read a line like  "host of wondrous flavours" once more !!  :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#5998 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

oh, how great to see you back and  to read a line like  "host of wondrous flavours" once more !!  :)

Ditto!!!

Welcome Back L2T -- the wonderful aromas that drift thru this joint when you are here have been missed -- oh...missed 'you' too ;)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#5999 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Had a Chebe pizza crust in our gluten-free Tasterie box, so made pizzas with that. The crust is chewy and delicious, but doesn't brown well because it's mostly (or completely?) tapioca flour. Next time I'll get the pizza stone scorching hot first, then put the crust on there. But it was very good anyway. Had Pamela's oatmeal cookies (also from the box) and they're fully of cinnamony-brown sugar goodness!

9 year old daughter diagnosed celiac November / December 2012
Postive endoscopy / biopsy, positive antibody test, positive genetic test

She's been gluten free since diagnosis. I've been gluten free with her since Jan 2013.

#6000 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Had a Chebe pizza crust in our gluten-free Tasterie box, so made pizzas with that. The crust is chewy and delicious, but doesn't brown well because it's mostly (or completely?) tapioca flour. Next time I'll get the pizza stone scorching hot first, then put the crust on there. But it was very good anyway. Had Pamela's oatmeal cookies (also from the box) and they're fully of cinnamony-brown sugar goodness!

I cook them without toppings until almost done and that helps. I also make then with the cheese. I figure there is enough cheese on top of the pizza!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: