9530 replies to this topic

#6241 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Mimosa? I have heard of them!! I might have to go ask Dr. Google :)

Yummm 3/4 cup Champaign chilled 1/4 cup orange juice 

Wow I want to go buy me some Champaign now!! Thats almost healthy for you!! Hahaha I remember my mom Drinking Vodka and Orange juice!! B4.  I cannot do Vodka!! Thats for sure!! 

I once spent a weekend away at a resort long ago when I still drank. We had to walk through the bar to get to the dining area for breakfast which I'm sure was no accident. I saw as we walked by that the special for the day was screwdrivers, vodka and orange juice, so I thought what the hell I'll have one! I was on vacation and orange juice is a breakfast drink. That makes screwdrivers a breakfast drink right?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#6242 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

That makes screwdrivers a breakfast drink right?

Indeed -- Mimosas Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys are all breakfast beverages :)

So last few nights have been a bit wonky.....so I'll just start with tonight...

Ribs!!!  with a bit of bbq chicken for the non-pork eaters.

Pineapple

Broccoli

and Lemonies for dessert :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6243 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Since we have a lot of roasts in our freezer I have another out and am hoping it is ready to cook for tonight. We did baked lemon pepper chicken with mashed taters and gravy and garlic green beans last night. And of course some red velvet cupcakes for dessert. :D At any rate, roast or no roast, I know whats for dessert again!

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6244 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

what's for dinner????

ALCOHOL????  

i leave you people alone for ONE DAY and y'all fall off the edge  :lol: wine spritzer, huh?  maybe i'll try that....

anyways, yesterday i took the kids to the library for their summer reading thingy  - they had a guy playing guitar and singing the silliest songs - then they all danced the gangdam style dance - hilarious.  and freeeeeeeee!!!  then i had a billymergency (no e.r. involved this time unless you count the mechanic's shop) had to drive to knox vegas to pick him up (i tell him:  i'm no litterbug; i always pick up my trash LOL love my trashy man)  then on to domino's to pick up pizza for vacation bible school - we had 26 kids!!  plus helpers, i bet we had 50-60 people there - good thing i over-estimated (optimistically estimated :))  came home and fried up swordfish cadiz (marinated, then cornstarched and fried)  still would like to figure out a good dipping sauce for those.. working on it.....

tonight, i'm making the crumb-crushers hotdogs and chips.  maybe a salad.  i think chef's salad for me :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6245 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Love the library summer reading programs...took the grands by a beautiful library north county coastal I had never been too on Tuesday -- had a blast -- but did notice that the Summer Reading Program here now only requires 5 books be read before a treat is given -- when the boys were doing it just a decade ago they needed to read TEN books -- and the treats were bookmarks, pencils, fun pencil toppers and stickers....now the treats are candy????  Must run up to my neighborhood library and see if these crappy treats are city wide!!!!  Oh boy...I didn't start off grumpy -- better go float for a bit...been running around taking care of youngest's Senior Class Brunch -- will float and then get back to whatever else isn't done ;)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#6246 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

I don't remember any summer reading programs, but then again I didn't spend a lot of time hanging out in town in the summer either. We were farmers and didn't have time for that sort of nonsense. I did read though, a lot. Basically if I had free time you could either catch me at my Grammy's house at the piano or with a book in my hands. The only reading program I remember at all as a kid was the one we did in school which was Book It, the PIzza Hut one. I got way more pizza than my brother.  :D As a teen I read several novels a month, Shakespeare for fun, Moby Dick on purpose (which I regret if I'm going to be completely honest) and preferred the library over any other place to hang out. By then I lived in town but didn't participate in the teen summer reading programs because I thought a lot of the books they were suggesting were kinda stupid. 

I still read today. I will literally not leave my house without a book. What if my Jeep breaks down and I have to wait for a tow or something? I'd hate to have that happen and not have a book, it would be beyond tragic. It probably drives my husband mad. I have an ereader that I use for classic lit that I can get for free, I don't see the point in paying for a hard copy of a free book. But mostly I buy books by my favorite authors and read them until they are beyond being readable any more. I have a favorite trilogy I read at least once a year that I'm on again now and it makes my husband crazy that there are parts where I still sob like I've just lost my best friend. I've already read the books at least ten times, but I keep giving them away and having to buy new ones.  :lol: I think next on my list is Crime and Punishment, which is my favorite classic novel ever. Some people think I'm nuts but I find the tale to be absolutely riveting. (I'd also need a gun to my head to read Jane Austin. *shrug*)

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6247 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

Love the library summer reading programs...took the grands by a beautiful library north county coastal I had never been too on Tuesday -- had a blast -- but did notice that the Summer Reading Program here now only requires 5 books be read before a treat is given -- when the boys were doing it just a decade ago they needed to read TEN books -- and the treats were bookmarks, pencils, fun pencil toppers and stickers....now the treats are candy????  Must run up to my neighborhood library and see if these crappy treats are city wide!!!!  Oh boy...I didn't start off grumpy -- better go float for a bit...been running around taking care of youngest's Senior Class Brunch -- will float and then get back to whatever else isn't done ;)

yah, my grandson got a toy car and he was a 'nudge' - wouldn't sit by the other kids, wouldn't participate, wouldn't dance - at then end of it they had a drawing and he happened to win.  he didn't do jack to earn it and now when he goes back he's gonna be mad when he doesn't win every time....   yay.....  

it is a 'carnegie' library - http://en.wikipedia....arnegie_library

addie, you sound just like my sister.  she now has a kindle and i make fun of her when the battery goes dead - she loves it so much i told her to marry it.  she travels 750 miles to my house to read on my couch lolz - she's a mess :)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#6248 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

yah, my grandson got a toy car and he was a 'nudge' - wouldn't sit by the other kids, wouldn't participate, wouldn't dance - at then end of it they had a drawing and he happened to win.  he didn't do jack to earn it and now when he goes back he's gonna be mad when he doesn't win every time....   yay.....  

it is a 'carnegie' library - http://en.wikipedia....arnegie_library

addie, you sound just like my sister.  she now has a kindle and i make fun of her when the battery goes dead - she loves it so much i told her to marry it.  she travels 750 miles to my house to read on my couch lolz - she's a mess :)

Hahaha we could be best friends! You know, if we could get our noses out of books long enough to have a conversation. I took a bus trip to PA like 4 or 5 years ago and took like 3 or 4 novels with me. I thought it would be fine, we left on a Wed morning and were supposed to get there Sat afternoon. Turns out we got there late on Fri night and I was long since out of books! I can't keep my ereader charged at all, they need to sell those things with an alternate battery for like $100 more. People would pay good money for that. 

And he'll get over not getting something next time. Not getting anything for not participating will be good for him, maybe he'll be encouraged to care the next time. I was always "harsh" like that to my kids. The way some people pamper and coddle kids drives me up a wall. My brother didn't read a lot, so he didn't get rewarded and he turned out just fine. 

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6249 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

I was always "harsh" like that to my kids. 

"who's the meanest mother????"

"YOU ARE"

"that's right.  don't you forget it."

i still get mothers day cards addressed to 'the meanest mother in the whole world.'     and they all turned out good.  (OR ELSE!)   :ph34r:   i used to set them up to teach them lessons.  ie:  my youngest had 'sticky fingers' for a minute - until she swiped her own zoo trip $ and secretly spent it on ice cream.  so, she stayed home from the zoo and never swiped anything ever again.  "harsh"   ;)   

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#6250 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Mothers are such evil creatures! Devil_emoticon.gif

I just made a meatloaf and baked potato tonight. Followed with some yogurt. Too meh to care today.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6251 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

lol...mean moms ROCK.

so I would not allow video games...my boys had travel nitendos, gameboys, etc...for use on the ROAD.  For years they cajoled, bribed, asked aunts and uncles..my sis even caved...I sent the game system home with her...they could play these things at their friends or family homes...but not ours....fast forward...I have a budding novelist and a musician that knows how to manage bands -- people are contacting him to promote....and GUESS WHAT???  they now admit I was right!  

I LOVE technology...just not brain dead kids with nimble thumbs ;)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#6252 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

My girls were both playing video games by the time they were 12 or 18 months old. Age appropriate ones that taught them computer skills of how to use a mouse and keyboard that were some Sesame Street game or other at the time. When my youngest was about 2 1/2 I told her no more games for the day and went to make dinner. She was too quiet, I came back and the little snot had gotten out the celiac disease, put it in the computer and started her game up. Now that is a smart cookie!

Until I left I never restricted access to video games, although I did make sure they also got time outdoors and doing other things. Their father never restricted access either. They game together as a family now. There are actually some skills to be learned from video games, just not the same ones you learn other places. Both my girls are headed to college, are avid readers, have social lives, and are just as likely to break out a board game as a video game a lot of days. The oldest was even in a buttload of activities in high school to give her a boost on her college apps. I think that video games are unfairly demonized by parents who failed to keep them in perspective for their kids and let the kids just veg out all day every day instead of parenting. Video games are the new tv, just something to blame for being a bad parent when its your own fault for using it as a babysitter.

Every family is different and has to find what works for them. Obviously not having them worked for you, your kids are doing awesome things! Having them as a fairly significant part of our lives worked for us. One is headed off this fall to be a mechanical engineer (she decided chemical engineering wasn't for her) and my baby wants to be a teacher.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6253 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

oh wait...mine were on computers from 18 months...just no video game consoles .... my oldest is like me so i had him tearing apart mother boards at 8 years....techies we are....just no game consoles...oh...there goes the fireworks :)

and my rules did stem from the my friends that were using technology as babysitting devices ;)

my poor kids were never restricted from video games at friends and family's home...now i think i do sound like the meanest mom award winner!!!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#6254 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

My kids only started on computer games. They have a Wii in their bedroom and were avid console gamers from the day they were old enough to use a controller. We had 3 or 4 consoles when they were 5 and 6.

Tech as a babysitter drives me up a wall. The only time I ever did that was when I put my kids in front of the TV so I could get a peaceful shower knowing they wouldn't kill each other, or if I was sick we'd stay in bed together all day and watch movies and read books. (But that was together.)

Tonight I'm making a pork roast with some sort of veggie something for dinner. I think it is way too early to decide. I'm only up at this unholy hour so I can get myself shipped off to the doctor. Not my favorite pastime.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6255 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

Good Luck at the Docs :)

Cleaning the house for the grad party today and to make it a bit more short people friendly...nothing breakable per se -- just the short ones find all sorts of things I try to stash away -- should put it away properly anyhow and now I have the energy to do so...so I shall.

Dinner tonight is BBQ Chicken with three colors of sweet potato and hubs yummy carrots -- finally found purple sweets here not just purple reg spuds.  Saved a bit of the sis's strawberry bday cake for the grand peeps -- but thinking I may give it to them for afternoon snack so they can burn it off before bedtime :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: