9125 replies to this topic

#6301 ryann14

ryann14

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Last night I made egg rolls and pork foo young. That was an experiment and it turned out really good.Since I can't eat safely at most Chinese restaurants, I'm learning to do it myself,
Tonight it's beef stew with slaw and cornbread.

What kind of egg roll wrappers do you use?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#6302 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

People use recipes for meatballs? :blink:

Well  ...what would you call "an ingredients list and a temperature gauge/time frame for making meatballs"  when telling someone new to this how to make them? Directions? 

I would not call what I do to make them a "recipe" per se...it's not written down or anything and I have done it a thousand times, but the things we do so easily now were once taught to us too.

So, yes, I guess that's my "recipe" above. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6303 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

To my meatballs I add a pamade which is bread chunks soaked in light cream. Lots of fresh thyme and freshly-grated nutmeg if they are Finnish or Swedish. And dried ground porcinis or porcinis that have been reconstituted in Port, Sherry, whatever. Sometimes Umami #5. And caramelized onions. But not all these at once!! Oh, and sometimes bacon or pancetta. Lots of garlic like Addy and a blend of veal, pork and beef chuck like Irish.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6304 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well  ...what would you call "an ingredients list and a temperature gauge/time frame for making meatballs"  when telling someone new to this how to make them? Directions? 

I would not call what I do to make them a "recipe" per se...it's not written down or anything and I have done it a thousand times, but the things we do so easily now were once taught to us too.

So, yes, I guess that's my "recipe" above. :lol:

I guess I'm spoiled. I grew up with my mom at least attempting to teach me to cook. One of the things she actually did well was meatballs and she just always threw things in a bowl on top of meat til it looked good. She also makes killer mac & cheese. There were many more things though that she was not so awesome at. I preferred dinner at Grammy's house. :ph34r: :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6305 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

I guess I'm spoiled. I grew up with my mom at least attempting to teach me to cook. One of the things she actually did well was meatballs and she just always threw things in a bowl on top of meat til it looked good. She also makes killer mac & cheese. There were many more things though that she was not so awesome at. I preferred dinner at Grammy's house. :ph34r: :lol:

My mom is a dreadful cook. I usually use recipes for baking but not for cooking. It just comes instinctively to some methinks. I am skilled at it. Numbers and accounting? No clue!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6306 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

I would not classified you as spoiled...but I did grow up in a home where I was not allowed to help with dinner prep -- I did however take note in every other kitchen I was exposed to.... seems to have stuck....

recipes are great for cookies, cakes, and even extra special dips....yet I am a little of this...little of that chef as my hubby is and now are kids... creativity shows best in FOOD.

PS...Shadow...I like that you asked how to make meatballs...I always ask how to make things....never stop!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6307 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

We had cabbage rolls stuffed with ground venison, veggies  and rice.  My sidekick doesn't like cabbage, so I served him porcupine meatballs with sauce, and  he loved them. 

Homemade creamed corn, or corn puddin' as they call it in the South accompanied that.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6308 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

We had cabbage rolls stuffed with ground venison, veggies  and rice.  My sidekick doesn't like cabbage, so I served him porcupine meatballs with sauce, and  he loved them. 

Homemade creamed corn, or corn puddin' as they call it in the South accompanied that.

Good to see you around these parts!

and creamed corn....by any name sounds yummy :)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#6309 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

My mom is a dreadful cook. I usually use recipes for baking but not for cooking. It just comes instinctively to some methinks. I am skilled at it. Numbers and accounting? No clue!!

My mom is what I call a "utilitarian cook". Basics. That's it.

No real use of herbs and spices. Nothing creative. And certainly, no garlic or cheese. No sauces or marinades.

No homemade dressings or baked goods. and yes, you read that correctly......my mom hates garlic and cheese (GASP!) Also, mushrooms, shallots, and wine.

I never had lasagne until I went to a friend's house.

Sour cream on/in/near  a potato? I was 18. and in a restaurant. 

Fresh asparagus or peas or green beans--at Gramma's house. We had canned.

Fresh veggies were "salad".

If I did not look so much like my Dad, I would have thought I was adopted as my joy for creating in the kitchen most certainly did not come from her. Even he made killer lamb chops or burgers. 

The one thing she made that was outrageous? Pie crust.  :( fortunately, we have found a way to recreate it! :)

And she can add a column of numbers in a jif. Me? not mathematical at all. To each our skills.

-- I did however take note in every other kitchen I was exposed to.... 

---recipes are great for cookies, cakes, and even extra special dips...

---.yet I am a little of this...little of that chef as my hubby is and now are kids... creativity shows best in FOOD.

---PS...Shadow...I like that you asked how to make meatballs...I always ask how to make things....never stop!

--me, too

---I agree

---most definitely  :)

and

---yes, ask us...because between all of us, if we do not know it---we'll  figure it out!

It's bloody hot here (I tell hubs this is "practice" for where we are going) and so, it may be KISS.

Use the encore pork tenderloin and make some quesadillas.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6310 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

OK here I go again :) I thought I put this in here and accidentally posted it in the garden thread here we go :

I am going to be gone for a couple of weeks, I think I will make hubbs frozen dinners before I leave!! I am not sure yet how or what! (I have time) But It just came to me!! He is such a hard working man, and I go on Vaca for 2 weeks , the least I can do! He works 10 hr days, drives an hr. there and back, then also works on the weekends most of the time! SO i just came up with this idea!! I can make him at least 10 meals freeze them and he can heat them up for supper!!  :) What do you think? Any ideas?

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#6311 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

Casseroles, chilis, or stews. Makes enough for several days..(yup, I saw Ski's response on the garden thread...and I agree completely!) :D

Here's one idea. Turkey Chili—fast, easy, delicious and full of protein and fiber. Takes @ 30 minutes start to finish. Ingredients:

• 1 tbsp olive oil

• 1 large onion, finely chopped

• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

• 1 stick of celery, chopped

• 2 garlic cloves, minced

• 3/4 pound fat-free ground turkey

• 2 tbsp chili powder

• 2 tsp ground cumin

• 1/2 tsp oregano

• 1/2 tsp ground coriander (if you don't have this—skip it)

• 1 14 1/2-ounce can crushed tomatoes

• 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, no salt added

• 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained

•  sour cream (optional) for dolloping on top

• 4 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro to sprinkle in at the end.

• Corn chips on the side

• It can be served over rice, too!

Preparation:

Heat oil in a LARGE pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, chopped pepper and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Crumble the turkey into the pan, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in chili powder, cumin, coriander and oregano. Add in tomatoes and tomato sauce, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, mix well and cook on LOW heat for a further 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle in some chopped fresh cilantro.

Ladle into bowls. (Add a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt on top if you tolerate dairy)

Freezes well. 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#6312 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

My guys like to eat chili over pasta.  The corn pasta works the best if you want gluten-free pasta.  Maybe he would like to order gluteny pizza or McDonalds or Subway?

Lasagna freezes well and re-heats.  Cut it into small thin squares for better re-heating. 

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#6313 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

I like to freeze and reheat anything that is mildly resembling a casserole. I have an army of pyrex so I usually just make it right into serving size dishes that can go straight in the oven. Meatloafs also freeze really well, and he can just pop a frozen veggie into a container with a lid, add a bit of water and microwave until it is done. Or microwaved baked potatoes. Just takes a few minutes. I know that isn't exactly the whole meal in one dish, but it would give him a teensy bit of variety from casseroles. I second the idea of telling him to order out for pizza or something at least once or twice while you're gone. He can eat his poison while you aren't around, you won't feel deprived and he'll probably even have enough to have lunch the next day.

Yesterday we went to Costco to buy chicken and my husband discovered that they have their fresh pizzas on sale. So last night's dinner got pushed back to tonight. I still made my meatballs though because my meat was in the fridge all defrosted and waiting to be cooked. Last night I just cut up the last bit of roast and made a little gravy to go over some taters with veggies. I cup up the rest we didn't eat for the cat. <_<

So trying again tonight. Chicken alfredo for him and I'll have my pasta with butternut squash sauce and meatballs. It was all I could do last night not to just stand in the kitchen and eat all my meatballs, I was ravenous for no apparent reason. I stuffed my face with a bowl of chex instead and told my stupid stomach to shut up, it was not getting meat.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6314 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

Good to see you around these parts!

and creamed corn....by any name sounds yummy.

i

Thanks, Lisa! 

We had the brown rice pasta you turned me onto with vodka sauce tonight.  I found the recipe on Allrecipes, but subbed the  pork  with smoked chicken.  It was delicious.!

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6315 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Totally locked up last evening outta the blue -- muscles just locked solid -- crazy -- hubs helped to bed where I had tri-tip and broccoli -- all better (well normal of late) this morning and thankful -- just had a soak -- now off to ride before the heat of the day....

Tonight out to dinner at a Fish Restaurant as it is our 26th Anniversary -- sadly I was deep in flareland this time last year so we are celebrating big tonight to make up for sleeping thru the Silver.

Very thankful this man has stuck by me each day -- and still looks at me this way on occasion :)

1045039_10152008666648574_231560423_n.jp

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: