9633 replies to this topic

#6571 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

I am rubbish at cooking extra. I sometimes manage enough for lunch the next day, but nothing seems to make it to the freezer.

Salmon rice and veg later
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#6572 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

We had a really early afternoon dinner of burgers. Hubs had fries (frozen) and I had brown sugar sauted pattypan and onions. Obviously one of us ate well and the other simply ate. We had also picked up a golden honeydew a few days ago and I don't really know how to tell if/when those things are ready so we just cut it up. O.....M.....G......that thing is positively delectable. Some melons are simply good, but is just honeydew on a whole new level.

We did all this after we got a few jars of refrigerator pickles done. After we ate I napped all evening, stupid headaches from the iron IV. <_< At least it beats being constantly sick. :D

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6573 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Sad day in the Mindwarp household. My old cat died this morning, just went out of the back door and she was lying there peacefully like she was asleep. Kids are very sad, it is our first pet to die. We are making pictures and play doh models and printing some photos, and when we get her ashes will bury them under our little apple tree.

She was a lovely cat, rescued about 10 years ago and she brightened our lives daily. I will miss her sleeping on my head :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#6574 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

MW

Sorry about the kitty. :( There's another one for our dear Neroli (Mushroom) to take care of. She was a big kitty lover and I have this image of her taking care of all our kitties who have gone to romp elsewhere. And our Bella sometimes likes to sleep with her paws wrapped around the hub's head....or right up my butt. Not sure if I am flattered by that or not.

Addy

Sorry about the headaches :( 

Very happy to hear you have some "oomph" as a result of the iron transfusions, though. My Dad had those (plus blood transfusions) regularly and we used to call it "getting a fill up of  liquid energy".

Returned from a 5 day, 440 mile solo trip and am none the worse for wear, having eaten out several times without incident. Knock wood.

Thank goodness for Find Me Gluten Free AND staying with family/friends who are also Gee Effers.

Soon, we will take over the world. Had an awesome lunch with Gemini and her hubs at Burton's after fighting traffic in I-495, which reminded me of why I am glad I do not live in the greater Boston area anymore.

Had a ginormous plateful of fried clams, scallops, onion rings and cole slaw at Woodman's in NH. Excellent G F batter done right since 1930-something (long before this became a "fad" for some folks) The original owner needed to be G F.

And nothing says "you're home" in New England like a bunch of fried stuff from the sea. Risked it all eating that much shellfish, but so far, so good. . 

Tonight

Stuffed peppers, not the usual Friday is pizza night because we had it last night. I am all mixed up on what day it is after traveling....except HUMP DAY because I cannot get that adorable camel out of my head. I love him.

(OK, if you just read that sentence alone---it makes absolutely no sense to you if you are unaware of the commercial) 

Gonna get crazy around here. Someone put an offer on the house and we accepted it and the inspections, etc. come next. Fingers crossed.

Have a great Friday and fantabulous weekend, everyone! 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6575 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Internet was down for several days so I was absent in flesh but not in mind. Lightning struck a tree a few feet from the house, slaying our modem.

We are simply having the David Chang (Momofuku) recipe for spicy and gingery noodles with roasted miso-black sesame carrots. Mayhap we will throw some nectarines on the grill and toss together a sublime lime lavender glaze.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6576 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

second daughter and her 2 boys are in for the week (ok, she dropped the kids here so she and her buddy can go to fandomfest (or something like that) going to meet the guy from the walking dead.  (i hate to sound creepy, but i saw a photo of him and he looks a little like my husband/ her dad/ eeew)  lolz - anyways, i got the boys - when they lived here, i was like "GOSH, TINA!  JUST EAT A QUESADILLA!  GOSH!!"  but i sure miss them now that they live 9 hrs away  :o

in-laws coming today - they must be fed On Schedule!  

burgers and dogs (maybe with vension chili, like texas wieners <not like NEW YORK WIENER LOLOLZ can you believe that guy's name is actually wiener hahahahaaa)

zucchini lasagne (yes.  again.)

baked beans

they are bringing down their 'old' mower because something is 'wrong' with it and they had to get a new one.  after they unload it, my f.i.l. can remove the stick in the fuel line.................. ^_^  viola!  it's a New Mower Day MIRACLE!!!   :P

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6577 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi Dee Ho...well that is a bit cheerier than I am....have had a flare from hell this week...thought I was glutened...but can't pinpoint that and haven't had a flare like this since the 7 month jobbie last year.  Gluten usually just gets me for three days....so the mystery of me continues....Hormone Cream, Antihistamines and Magical Bath along with a few other "remedies" and I am outta bed and was able to have son drive me about to take care of shit this morning...still a bit wobbly so headed to my comfy chair to rest a bit.

Have no idea what is in the frig or cupboards...will check that out for my next adventure later in the day.

Soooo sorry to hear about the Kitty MW...HUGS to you and the peanuts -- sounds like you are doing all the right things to help them thru this.

Addie...sad about headaches...but glad you found a bit of oomf from the docs...hang in there :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6578 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Beer Chicken (I've done this poaching method with just water and it is still quite tasty. White wine works too)

This makes a juicy, evenly cooked chicken with lots of flavor, and enough gravy to serve over rice. (I normally serve with a separate side vegetable.)

Ingredients:
• Boneless chicken (I prefer thighs and get the organic/free range)
• Black olives (1 can sliced up)
• Bell mushrooms (2 cups sliced up)
(I've done green or red bell peppers in the past though they aren't my favorite. Onions can work though they can get bitter. Experiment with your faves.)
• Garlic clove (optional - can do dried garlic or skip)
• Gluten free beer - one bottle 
• Favorite dried spices (I do basil, thyme, tarragon, oregano, and marjorum, salt)
• Olive oil or butter
• Thickening agent for the gravy/sauce (I use potato starch)
• Rice (I normally do white basmati)

In a large pan, brown the chicken lightly in olive oil or butter. One minute on each side should be enough. Add the bottle of beer and some water. You could do just beer, or if you drink some of the beer while cutting up your olives/musrooms, use more water. You don't need to cover the chicken in liquid completely so depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces, may need more or less liquid. 3/4 coverage will do and expect the liquid to cook down.

Add in your cut up veggies/mushrooms. Put the lid on. Turn on the rice to cook (follow directions on rice package).

10 minutes later add your spices stir a bit and cook for another minute or two. Check your rice and turn off if done (or burn it like I normally do).

Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and veggies from the pan, leaving behind the liquids. (If you want lots of gravy/sauce, you can add more water or butter/oil, but it is too late to add more beer because the alcohol won't have time to cook off). While simmering liquids, add your thickening agent a little at a time while stirring to avoid clumps. I really like potato starch because it thickens but doesn't need to actually cook so it is "done" as soon as you have gotten to your desired thickness. Salt to taste.

Serve the chicken and veggies over rice with your gravy/sauce.

I like to poach this way because it cooks up really quickly, the steaming aspect cooking the meat from the top as well as the liquid from the bottom, and the temperatures in my pot never get so high to cause carcinogenic elements to form in the meat that you find in most high-heat cooking methods. As long as there is liquid in the pan, it will stay a consistent ideal temperature. And the meat is and stays really juicy even after reheating leftovers.

From start to finish should only take you about 1/2 hour though most of that depends on how long it takes to cut up your veggies.

#6579 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Beer Chicken (I've done this poaching method with just water and it is still quite tasty. White wine works too)
This makes a juicy, evenly cooked chicken with lots of flavor, and enough gravy to serve over rice. (I normally serve with a separate side vegetable.)
Ingredients:
• Boneless chicken (I prefer thighs and get the organic/free range)
• Black olives (1 can sliced up)
• Bell mushrooms (2 cups sliced up)
(I've done green or red bell peppers in the past though they aren't my favorite. Onions can work though they can get bitter. Experiment with your faves.)
• Garlic clove (optional - can do dried garlic or skip)
• Gluten free beer - one bottle 
• Favorite dried spices (I do basil, thyme, tarragon, oregano, and marjorum, salt)
• Olive oil or butter
• Thickening agent for the gravy/sauce (I use potato starch)
• Rice (I normally do white basmati)
In a large pan, brown the chicken lightly in olive oil or butter. One minute on each side should be enough. Add the bottle of beer and some water. You could do just beer, or if you drink some of the beer while cutting up your olives/musrooms, use more water. You don't need to cover the chicken in liquid completely so depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces, may need more or less liquid. 3/4 coverage will do and expect the liquid to cook down.
Add in your cut up veggies/mushrooms. Put the lid on. Turn on the rice to cook (follow directions on rice package).
10 minutes later add your spices stir a bit and cook for another minute or two. Check your rice and turn off if done (or burn it like I normally do).
Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and veggies from the pan, leaving behind the liquids. (If you want lots of gravy/sauce, you can add more water or butter/oil, but it is too late to add more beer because the alcohol won't have time to cook off). While simmering liquids, add your thickening agent a little at a time while stirring to avoid clumps. I really like potato starch because it thickens but doesn't need to actually cook so it is "done" as soon as you have gotten to your desired thickness. Salt to taste.
Serve the chicken and veggies over rice with your gravy/sauce.
I like to poach this way because it cooks up really quickly, the steaming aspect cooking the meat from the top as well as the liquid from the bottom, and the temperatures in my pot never get so high to cause carcinogenic elements to form in the meat that you find in most high-heat cooking methods. As long as there is liquid in the pan, it will stay a consistent ideal temperature. And the meat is and stays really juicy even after reheating leftovers.
From start to finish should only take you about 1/2 hour though most of that depends on how long it takes to cut up your veggies.

This sounds great! What beer do you use?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6580 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Sad day in the Mindwarp household. My old cat died this morning, just went out of the back door and she was lying there peacefully like she was asleep. Kids are very sad, it is our first pet to die. We are making pictures and play doh models and printing some photos, and when we get her ashes will bury them under our little apple tree.

She was a lovely cat, rescued about 10 years ago and she brightened our lives daily. I will miss her sleeping on my head :)

i'm so sorry, mw, i completely missed this when i was reading  :(  at least she went peacefully.  we have another hemingway cat hanging around the house outside - this is the 2nd one - i was wondering if a 6-toed cat is lucky or creepy...

that chicken sounds deeelicious, alwayslearning :)  and half an hour sounds pretty good, too, for in a hurry nights!

congrats, ih, oh what fun lolz - i was so nerve-wracked when we sold our first house, inspections and whatnot, but maybe everything will go smooth  :)  i hope!  :)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#6581 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

We are simply having the David Chang (Momofuku) recipe for spicy and gingery noodles with roasted miso-black sesame carrots. Mayhap we will throw some nectarines on the grill and toss together a sublime lime lavender glaze.

mmmmmm - i googlied this and my husband would love this - i wonder how it would be with some shrimp or seared scallops...

sublime lime lavender is my new favorite color flavor   :D

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#6582 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

they are bringing down their 'old' mower because something is 'wrong' with it and they had to get a new one.  after they unload it, my f.i.l. can remove the stick in the fuel line.................. ^_^  viola!  it's a New Mower Day MIRACLE!!!   :P

:D  :P  :D

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6583 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

i'm so sorry, mw, i completely missed this when i was reading   :(  at least she went peacefully.  we have another hemingway cat hanging around the house outside - this is the 2nd one - i was wondering if a 6-toed cat is lucky or creepy...

that chicken sounds deeelicious, alwayslearning :)  and half an hour sounds pretty good, too, for in a hurry nights!

congrats, ih, oh what fun lolz - i was so nerve-wracked when we sold our first house, inspections and whatnot, but maybe everything will go smooth   :)  i hope!   :)

6- toed cats are "special"!!   I saw them at Hemingway's house in Key West and would have loved to smuggle one out. They are so laid-back. (could be all that in-breeding, hmmmm :huh: ) lol

Dinner was "encore" stuffed peppers and a salad. Easy. We were gone all day (up at Saratoga Race track) and I knew after a long day and if I had a glass of wine (or 2) at the track I would not want to be fussing with cooking. Whomever invented the microwave, God bless....

and I did not own one until 1997 when I married the hubs.

I even won a few races. (that hardly ever happens)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6584 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

:D  :P  :D

right?  now we have 3 (THREE) riding mowers, the yard is the size of a matchbook (or, the amount of yard he has to mow excluding the pool and garden areas)  but i DO have an acre down at the riverside.  where i can make a track to race lawnmowers.......   ^_^

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#6585 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Lentil patties and roast veg.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: