9631 replies to this topic

#6871 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Flying to Venice then driving to our house in Croatia - leaving Monday and will be away 26 days. YAY! Have not been here much lately as I have been busy. Yesterday I made lovely beef stew to use up some of our carrots, potatoes, peas, shrooms, etc. Nice to have as we are having some chilly temps (in the minus range).

Have an awesome October, All!

Safe journey and send me pics!! xx

Temps in the minus range already? girl, you need to move to Croatia permanently. That is just plain wrong to be in the minus numbers in September.  Your bones and muscles need HEAT.  :)  love ya--have a wonderful time.

It was 86 today and I swam in the ocean.... just sayin B) . 

hubs on the road again - finally cooked his steak last night - the pie turned out really good!!  in spite of hilarity insueingness ;)  but i made the steak rub with instant coffee in it, which was tasty but wreaked havoc on my stomach almost instantly <get it?  INSTANT coffee...........  yuk yuk

That "Hilarity Insueingness" --dear gawd, that is not really a word, sillypants! ---was partly your fault.  :P

Friday--I boldly tried a local Italian joint with a dedicated pizza oven and crusts that come from a dedicated bakery. Fellow GFers recommend it highly, so I did it. And it was pretty dang good (and so much for my whole 30 diet plan. totally shot to hell while traveling and relocating) May try it again in a week or so. What can I say except, I am a dismal failure and I have a carb addiction apparently.. 

Saturday- was an antipasta platter and melon.   Some caramel and sea salt gelato. YUM..

Sunday- Pork tenderloin, sliced over brown rice pilaf with almonds and a warm mango/pineapple/jalapeno salsa. And peaches.

Today--we had roasted chicken from BJs (thank you, ADDY for the idea!) and baked potatoes with fresh haricot verts  << that's for you, K.

Tomorrow, seafood of some nature. The local seafood market gave me a $5. welcome coupon when I went in last week and I figure I should be grateful and use it.  :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#6872 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Oh, meant to add: regarding cooking noodles for soup?

I found that it makes the soup too starchy for my taste to cook them with the veggies, meat, etc..

And the corn pasta can turn it yellow, so I cook the noodles separately, to a good al dente, (tinkyada is about 11 mins. no matter what the package says/ 13 if you are making them for pasta dishes) --then drain and add them to the soup pot for the remaining cooking time.

This is just my preference. 

But no matter what, they will absorb the broth like a sponge ---but that does not really bother me. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6873 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

THanks for the noodle tips :) I guess if it is watery I will cook the noodles and throw them in. If not I will cook them and add as I serve :) Thanks guys :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#6874 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I just throw the noodles in at the end and let them cook.  We don't mind that the noodles soak up all the broth in the left-overs.  But my son and hub don't really like a lot of broth.  Some noodles seem to hold up better, so try different brands and ingredients - corn pasta seems sturdier but might not taste great in chicken noodle.

Friday night - chili

Saturday night - Experimental night - a yummy non-TexMex bean dip - black beans, fresh goat cheese, roasted poblanos...  Peanut toffee

Sunday night - Steaks and corn on the cob on the grill, salad,  Lundberg rice mix, and a warm flourless cake with vanilla ice cream.

Tonight - left-over chili as chili mac was requested.  I might make mine into a taco salad

Ditto.

I toss the pasta in the last 8 or so minutes of cooking. Turns out fine, most of the time.

#6875 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

When I make soup I cook the noodles separate and add when ready to serve.  If you aren't going to have leftovers you can cook in the soup pot, but usually they will puff way up and be gross when you reheat them.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6876 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

When I make soup I cook the noodles separate and add when ready to serve.  If you aren't going to have leftovers you can cook in the soup pot, but usually they will puff way up and be gross when you reheat them.

depends on the noodle.

#6877 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

I dunno....but I have never met a rice/corn noodle that didn't puff up so big it wanted to take over the room.  :D  

What brand doesn't suck up all the broth? 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#6878 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

I use Thai Rice Noodles when I make Fettuccini.  In the beginning its nice and creamy...Yummers.  I go back to the dish five minutes later and its dried up and stuck to the pot.  The joys of gluten free cooking!

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6879 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

I always have cooked the noodles separately and then added them in before serving.  With the leftovers, I can add rice and change it up!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#6880 jiggles

jiggles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

I was a lazy panda , I made my favourite easy corned beef hash with cherry tomatos
and a crunchy waldorf salad but with pecans because I had no walnuts, and a lovely ripe mango to follow,
I also made some cinder toffee to sprinkle over my mango,

I think I used too much bicarbonate of soda "gluten free" as it kind of tripled in size and then exploded all over the kitchen counter , I ended up with with a small flat piece which I crushed up and ate with my mango,
it never had many bubbles left in it after scooping it off the work top ,
It still tasted very yummy tho,
but if anyone has a decent recipe for cinder toffee I would really appreciate it thank you :)

#6881 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

I was a lazy panda , I made my favourite easy corned beef hash with cherry tomatos
and a crunchy waldorf salad but with pecans because I had no walnuts, and a lovely ripe mango to follow,
I also made some cinder toffee to sprinkle over my mango,
I think I used too much bicarbonate of soda "gluten free" as it kind of tripled in size and then exploded all over the kitchen counter , I ended up with with a small flat piece which I crushed up and ate with my mango,
it never had many bubbles left in it after scooping it off the work top ,
It still tasted very yummy tho,
but if anyone has a decent recipe for cinder toffee I would really appreciate it thank you :)

I'll see your lazy and raise you 5 lazys. We had French bread pizza, carrot sticks ( pre- cut) and apple slices!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6882 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:53 AM

hmm...the go-to girl for this sort of thing (love2travel) is in Croatia at the moment, but I can shoot her an email and ask her.  

I read about cinder toffee here:

http://www.theguardi...b-cinder-toffee

and I chuckled at the opening lines

"Sure, it will rot your teeth and make you fat, but there's nothing quite like the sweet crunchiness of cinder toffee...."

That means it is delicious,

The picture of it is pretty cool.

MAYBE CELIAC MINDWARP CAN HELP? See, if I write in CAPS--- it seems to wake people up.. :)  

I'll see your lazy and raise you 5 lazys. We had French bread pizza, carrot sticks ( pre- cut) and apple slices!

I see your 5 lazies and admit to sheer lethargy. Already cooked shrimp from the fish market, pre-triple-washed organic bagged hearts of romaine from the produce section and GASP! bottled caesar dressing. :lol: .

The most laborious part of that prep was opening up the bag of shaved  parmesan for the top. 

And a few cut up peaches for dessert (hubs did that part)

I was exhausted from all that bag-opening.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#6883 jiggles

jiggles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

That made me laugh, " seeing my 5 lazys " you definitely won that hand Kareng with the "sheer lethargy " and those pre cut carrot sticks :)
hmm... I will try and raise your sheer lethargys and Irish hearts Shrimps and bagged lettuce with some more sleepy sloth day dinners,

Thanks Irish for that cinder toffee recipe,

But tonight was a cooked dinner , so tired now, but I just had to try my new vintage mincer , it's a small cast iron one that you screw to the work top ,
I bought it because it's so hard to get minced meats in our local shops which always means a car journey to find some ,
and hubby wanted a Sheperds pie so I bought some lamb and minced it up and it worked a treat ,

I spent ages chopping and dicing onions and veggies then frying them, and boiling carrots and turnips and mashing potatoes to top it all,
hubs was waiting patiently with his knife and fork and his chopped beetroots piled on his plate ,
but as I don't trust myself with hot dishes I asked hubs to bring it to the table ,
which he did but just as he was setting it down , swoosh the pie dish slid off the baking tray plonk right on the floor :o .... we just looked at each other , erm yes we still ate it ,

we sort of scooped off the top parts which hadn't touched the floor ,
must say It was still very yummy tho :)

#6884 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

don't worry you bums - i'm cooking enough for a nuclear holocaust - got 25 lbs of tomatoes cooking down on the stove and that's not even for dinner...........  damb garden!!  stop making tomatoes and peppers!!!!

jiggles - my husband did something similar on thanksgiving one year, we had put the sweet potatoes out on the grill to keep them warm and he was hurrying to get them onto the table and *whoops* the whole tray landed in the back yard.  my dog had a feast on them, immediately or we might have salvaged some of it - lolz - stuff happens  ^_^

edited to add:  WHAT'S FOR DINNER (durrrr)

ahi tuna (marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic juice and pickled ginger/green onions that i put up in the spring - well, at least all this canning sh!t is paying off finally!!!)

jasmine rice

roasted brussels sprouts :)  <craving those <_< jonesing real bad for some - i gots the sprout monkey on my back........... :P

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#6885 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

we sort of scooped off the top parts which hadn't touched the floor ,
must say It was still very yummy tho :)

I'd eat shepherd's pie off the floor. I LOVE s p!  10- second rule applies--especially after all that work!  ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: