This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

mbrookes Community Regular

I have a question. I have some leftover pot roast, a box of opened beef stock I don't think I'll use within a week, and some leftover tinkyada noodles. Can I made a soup out of this stuff? Or should I freeze it?

I vote for soup. Do you have any leftover vegetables? Carots, onions, beans of any kind, rice ...just dump it all in. A can of V-8 would be good,too.

I keep a plastic container in the freezer that I put leftover dabs of vegetables and beef into. Then at soup time, I dump it in a pot with beef or vegetable broth (canned) and simmer away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

mbrookes Community Regular

Last night I made egg rolls and pork foo young. That was an experiment and it turned out really good.Since I can't eat safely at most Chinese restaurants, I'm learning to do it myself,

Tonight it's beef stew with slaw and cornbread.

momtok&m Explorer

Love this thread! We had a venison roast in the crockpot yesterday. I made it with carrots, celery and potatoes. Tonight I'm making gravy out of the "juice" and leftover meat and veggies.

sa1937 Community Regular

I love this thread, too...and I'd like to come to some of your houses for dinner!!! biggrin.gif

Tonight I'm having a baked tilapia fillet, baked potato and spinach. Easy, peasy since I got the kitchen cleaned up after baking bread.

jerseyangel Proficient

Irish Davy Boy's oven risotto, butternut squash, and cornbread. Can't wait!

kareng Grand Master

I loved that stuff.

We are having turkey tetrazini with left over turkey and a spinach salad.

jess-gf Explorer

That sounds delish! I've never heard of Irish Davy Boy's though. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it!

My crockpot chicken turned out pretty well - but turned into more of a soup there was so much liquid! And I barely added any in the beginning, maybe 1/4thcup of oj and 1 orange squeezed. The meat was very tender though. Maybe I'll just add some noodles and call it chicken noodle soup :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momtok&m Explorer

Okay, I'm good with the squash and cornbread but what is the oven risotto all about?

jerseyangel Proficient

That sounds delish! I've never heard of Irish Davy Boy's though. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it!

Okay, I'm good with the squash and cornbread but what is the oven risotto all about?

Karen is right--this stuff is good!

Last night I made it without the chicken--works great either way--

kareng Grand Master

Karen is right--this stuff is good!

Last night I made it without the chicken--works great either way--

I'm thinking of making it for Xmas as a side.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm thinking of making it for Xmas as a side.

So funny--I was thinking the same thing. My son would love it--I am going do do a rib roast and the risotto would be really good with it. Plus it can go right alongside it in the oven :)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I cooked last night! Not for me (still on the protein shakes....countdown to xmas party T-minus 9 hours :rolleyes: ) But the dinner was a hit with the fam:

Poached chicken thighs in chicken stock, with lots of garlic and seasonings

-deglazed the pan after I removed the chicken with a little water, added a pkt of mushroom gravy-to make gravy ;)

Served over mashed potatoes that I cooked in chicken stock, then added milk and butter.

momtok&m Explorer

I'm feeling so so lazy today. Just remembered I have gluten-free Bisquick so I'm making Impossible Cheesburger Pie. Quick, tasty and easy but not necessarily healthy :)

sb2178 Enthusiast

Chopped:

1 small onion

1 carrot

And sauteed in olive oil with:

a pinch of marjoram

a piece of bay leaf

a dash of thyme

one broken up dried shiitake mushroom

Covered in water, simmered for 20 minutes.

Add:

2 oz Ancient harvest veggie pagoda

2 handfuls diced cabbage

Simmer until cooked. Add an egg and frozen green peas to taste and cook very briefly. Call it a meal for cold feet.

Judy3 Contributor

Not cooking today, going out for Chinese. The place we go to have gotten to know us over the years and when I told him about Celiac he started making my dishes positively gluten free. No more eggrolls but I can still eat the rest!!!

Yay!

Support your local businesses they are more likely to take you seriously and provide gluten free options!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

I have no idea what to make tonight--may do breakfast for dinner. Pancakes and sausage :rolleyes:

sa1937 Community Regular

I had no idea what to make either so also had breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs, bacon, fried potatoes (from the leftover baked potato from last night). Worked for me. laugh.gif Clementines later.

GFreeMO Proficient

I made a pizza with the gluten free bisquick, hormel pepperoni and cheese and a big salad. :)

mushroom Proficient

Pork chops with sauteed apples, and onion marmalade, baked sweet potato, swiss chard and green salad both from the garden :)

Emilushka Contributor

I made white rice cooked in chicken stock with canned salmon, side dish of steamed broccoli with olive oil and garlic salt on top.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Ugh! Went out to Olive Garden last night and got glutened somehow. I got their gluten free pasta to try for the first time. The pasta was actually good, in fact I suspect they gave me regular pasta because this did not taste like any gluten free pasta I have tried. My first clue should have been when the waitress asked if "gluten free" was the same thing as "low carb". :unsure:

Tonight I'm planning on making a meatloaf and a pack of steamed veggies. I may have to make my DH assemble the meatloaf though since I'm running to the bathroom every 30 minutes right now. :(

jess-gf Explorer

Tonight I made a basic meatsauce to go on top of TJ's rice pasta. Tasty & easy! Basically I put a whole onion in the food processor and sauteed it with 1lb of TJ's ground beef until it browned, added a can of tomato sauce and a small can of tomato paste, a cup of water, tsp sugar, tsp salt, and various dried herbs. I had one serving and my boyfriend inhaled the rest :o

Today I also turned the rest of my crockpot chicken into chicken noodle soup buy adding in some more water, chicken stock, straining out the glop, shredding up the bits of chicken and cutting up the chunks of potato and carrots. Also added some more herbs and a squeeze of honey. Very comforting!

mushroom Proficient

Pot roast with onions, carrots, home-made 48 hour beef stock; yorkshire pudding (no, not my idea, hub wants to try - good luck!! - he's got better creds than I do - taught by his Welsh nana, my mom never made it) and broccoli.

Juliebove Rising Star

We have to have a super quick to fix meal tomorrow so I'm heating up a turkey breast that is already cooked, making instant mashed potatoes with water and Nucoa only (no milk) and I'll probably pop open a can of green beans.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Well as I predicted I didn't feel like cooking last night, so we had burgers and sweet potato fries instead. One good thing, my DH went to the store and bought me some Schar gluten-free buns. It was my first time trying them and they were pretty good. I usually just do the burger without a bun or use lettuce wedges. Tonight is meatloaf if I can get my act together. My DH tried some of my leftover gluten-free pasta from Olive Garden and confirmed it tasted just like regular pasta. Since I haven't had gluten pasta for almost a year I wasn't sure, but he confirmed my suspicions.