9534 replies to this topic

#7816 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Years ago one of our favorite DJs proclaimed March 21st as "Steak and something not appropriate for a public forum Day".

I remember it more because it is my best childhood bud's b-day....I let the hubs think it is all about him ;)

So tonight there will be RibEyes on the BBQ, Scalloped Potatoes (baked sweet spud for me) and Asparagus.

Still like the wrap idea so thinking that is tomorrow :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#7817 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

I just finished up a batch of red velvet cupcakes. I got 2 into the freezer for after my surgery to spoil myself, the rest won't last the weekend.

Oh... dinner, right, this is about dinner. Can cupcakes be for dinner? They would be if I weren't stuck feeding a husband. We'll have some sort of pan fried pork chops, carrot something or other (maybe just simply glazed rainbow tonight) and maybe some brown rice something. I haven't exactly figured it out yet but it usually all starts to make sense once I get into the kitchen. It's so weird, I start with a general idea, then I just let inspiration take me where it will once I get going. As long as I start with my general ideas for timelines I do okay. In a week I'll be begging for frozen dinners. :P

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7818 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Years ago one of our favorite DJs proclaimed March 21st as "Steak and something not appropriate for a public forum Day".

I remember it more because it is my best childhood bud's b-day....I let the hubs think it is all about him ;)

So tonight there will be RibEyes on the BBQ, Scalloped Potatoes (baked sweet spud for me) and Asparagus.

Still like the wrap idea so thinking that is tomorrow :)

I heard it was supposed to be March 14, a month after V-day. As reparations for them having to do the whole "a day that revolves around women" thing. My husband thought this was a brilliant idea. Until I reminded him I think V-day is stupid and to buzz off. :lol:

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7819 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I heard it was supposed to be March 14, a month after V-day. As reparations for them having to do the whole "a day that revolves around women" thing. My husband thought this was a brilliant idea. Until I reminded him I think V-day is stupid and to buzz off. :lol:

seems i'm a day off here even...the san diego version is March 20...oh well he can still have steak ;)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#7820 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Country Pork Ribs in the Crock Pot with green chili salsa

"Flour Tortillas" - really gluten-free crepes

Spanish Rice

Salad

Lemon Peach Bread for desert -- loosely used this recipe:

https://www.facebook...&type=1

subbed Pamela's Bread Mix for the flour, almonds for walnuts and fresh peaches for the blueberries -- son says sample was great -- kinda like a fritter : )

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#7821 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

Yesterday I made chicken stir fry, today was chicken nachos.  Trying to clear out my fridge of random things right now.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7822 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hi Laura....

Is tomorrow your procedure?  Good luck to you and Addie...you are both tough and will come through with flying colors.  Wish I could drop dinner by, but will be keeping you and your surgeons at the top of my list!!!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#7823 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

We're going on Thursday. If Laura is anything like me, she's got everything way under control and taken care of. While my church would be happy to organize meals and all that for me, and I'm sure that they would even try to accommodate the gluten free thing (we have a bunch of celiacs), the last thing I can afford while recovering is getting sick from risking it. For the first few days that cooking for myself will be a problem, getting to the bathroom on time would be a problem too. So tomorrow... today? Wednesday is prep day. Making a double meatloaf and some casseroles and such. I've got my liquid and soft food diet packed to take with me (in the bag with a giraffe, because of course one is going with me) and other than that I'm set. I hope Laura is all set too!

I'm up way, way too late tonight. This is what happens when a much anticipated new video game is released. I think I'll just have a little of the meatloaf I'm already going to be making before i pack it away for dinner tonight. Probably have to call in an early dinner and starve all night. <_<

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7824 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:32 AM

Good luck with the surgeries, you guys! Just FYI,  I have had both of these procedures.

In the old days (when dinosaurs roamed) GB surgery was more complicated. I've got a 9 inch zipper beginning under my sternum and taking a right at my belly button. The hyster zipper goes perpendicular. I'm a big ole  giant scar fest, combined with the shoulders and breast surgeries. 

lol

Be good to yourselves while recovering. No rush to "be all better". Your body needs extra time after anesthesia. Got it?  ;) good. Big hugs!

Dinner last night was meatball pizza. Really daring for me. So far, so good.And our table and chairs finally arrived, so we were thrilled

to be able to sit and eat....all that standing was getting old. (j/k we borrowed a neighbor's card table --and they are getting a flourless chocolate cake with ganache as a"thank you". )

Tonight is looking like chicken and risotto with sauteed chard (much to the hub's dismay...) not really liking the chard, that guy. Too bad, buddy--dark leafies are good for you.

The End. :D 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7825 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

Made chicken parmesan, side salad and steamed asparagus. 

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#7826 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Be good to yourselves while recovering. No rush to "be all better". Your body needs extra time after anesthesia. Got it?  ;) good. Big hugs!

Dinner last night was meatball pizza. Really daring for me. So far, so good.And our table and chairs finally arrived, so we were thrilled

to be able to sit and eat....all that standing was getting old. (j/k we borrowed a neighbor's card table --and they are getting a flourless chocolate cake with ganache as a"thank you". )

I'll be good. I have nothing to hurry for. I figure I can be better when I'm better, and until then I'm happy to be a lump with my netflix and my books. :D

Do I have anything you need to borrow so I can get a cake? Um... I mean gratz on the table finally showing up! :P Did two guys personally carry it from Zimbabwe or something? Sheesh, it took long enough.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7827 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Made another chicken stir fry. For the sauce I used Worcestershire, San-j gluten-free soy sauce, some sriracha and 1 cup of light balsalmic vinaigrette. To thicken it I used guar gum--but it didn't need much if at all.  I used 2 bags of frozen stir fry veggies and 3 lb of chicken (a bit much .. but I was not willing to leave behind 1 breast and cook that differently.. haha - just really high in protein). Pretty satisfying and it made about 6 portions (and these are good sized portions). Served it over brown rice.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

#7828 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Did two guys personally carry it from Zimbabwe or something? Sheesh, it took long enough.

It was only coming from Georgia for pete's sake..man, J could have built the table and chairs and you could have upholstered them for me  a whole lot faster.... :D  ah well, borrowing a table from the new neighbors worked out. I have some new pals and their dogs are adorbs. And she already said "If you ever need anyone to check on your kitty...."  Good to know.

See, all things work out.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7829 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'm up way, way too late tonight. This is what happens when a much anticipated new video game is released. I think I'll just have a little of the meatloaf I'm already going to be making before i pack it away for dinner tonight. Probably have to call in an early dinner and starve all night. <_<

HAHAHAHA my husband was up past dawn playing the new Diablo expansion.  We are big wow players, I play Diablo casually but he is a serious gamer.  Like, sometimes I think I need to take him to gaming rehab, LOL!

Jamie, that chicken stir fry sounds good, pretty similar to what I do.  I am all for making delicious things with leftovers, I eat them at lunchtime.

Irish, I am glad I put off the gallbladder surgery a couple of years, because now they can use the Da Vinci surgical robot system and remove the gallbladder with one incision through the bellybutton.  With my immunodeficiency they very much like to do fewer and smaller incisions if possible so that is nice.  I did my preop appointment yesterday, got the freezer stocked with frozen dinners and a good amount of make ahead freezer meals for me.  Lots of soup, pudding, stuff like that to eat while I'm not feeling too hot. 

Honestly, I am nervous.  My career is in healthcare and I am much more comfortable giving people their pills than being the patient myself.  Something about the total loss of control.  I am well aware of all the risks involved and it scares me a lot.  I know this sounds silly, but I really fear suffering and being in terrible pain, but I know me waking up at night screaming in pain and scaring the crap out of my husband is not something I like to do... so I am going to get it done, lol.  I had two hand surgeries in 2012 (carpal tunnel release on both hands) and before the first one I basically had a panic attack when they called me back to go get changed and stuff.  Hopefully I won't do that this time, I am not that nervous, am more accepting that this A-hole gallbladder is finally getting the boot.

But yes, tonight, it will be an early dinner for me and I too shall starve until my early morning procedure.  I get grumpy when I don't eat, haha.  So I probably won't be on here, at least coherently, for a few days.  And after I eat all my freezer meals I made and hopefully they are good, I will have to post recipes for ya'll.  Thanks for all the positive thoughts, all!  And Addy I will be thinking about you!!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#7830 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

HAHAHAHA my husband was up past dawn playing the new Diablo expansion.  We are big wow players, I play Diablo casually but he is a serious gamer.  Like, sometimes I think I need to take him to gaming rehab, LOL!

Jamie, that chicken stir fry sounds good, pretty similar to what I do.  I am all for making delicious things with leftovers, I eat them at lunchtime.

Irish, I am glad I put off the gallbladder surgery a couple of years, because now they can use the Da Vinci surgical robot system and remove the gallbladder with one incision through the bellybutton.  With my immunodeficiency they very much like to do fewer and smaller incisions if possible so that is nice.  I did my preop appointment yesterday, got the freezer stocked with frozen dinners and a good amount of make ahead freezer meals for me.  Lots of soup, pudding, stuff like that to eat while I'm not feeling too hot. 

Honestly, I am nervous.  My career is in healthcare and I am much more comfortable giving people their pills than being the patient myself.  Something about the total loss of control.  I am well aware of all the risks involved and it scares me a lot.  I know this sounds silly, but I really fear suffering and being in terrible pain, but I know me waking up at night screaming in pain and scaring the crap out of my husband is not something I like to do... so I am going to get it done, lol.  I had two hand surgeries in 2012 (carpal tunnel release on both hands) and before the first one I basically had a panic attack when they called me back to go get changed and stuff.  Hopefully I won't do that this time, I am not that nervous, am more accepting that this A-hole gallbladder is finally getting the boot.

But yes, tonight, it will be an early dinner for me and I too shall starve until my early morning procedure.  I get grumpy when I don't eat, haha.  So I probably won't be on here, at least coherently, for a few days.  And after I eat all my freezer meals I made and hopefully they are good, I will have to post recipes for ya'll.  Thanks for all the positive thoughts, all!  And Addy I will be thinking about you!!

I know what you mean about working in the health care field and having procedures done... My first sugery (fractured radius/ulna- horse riding trauma) I had a terrible recovery... it made me nervous for each and every surgical procedure I have had since. Thankfully my 3 knee surgery recoveries were smoother.. I was very twitchy with my anesthesiologist. I basically said I take way too long to recover and I will wake up vomiting so hit me with your strongest antinausea. It works. ;) I am sure things will be fine. Just breathe breathe breathe. Don't let all the 'what if' possibilities drive you crazy. What is going to happen will happen regardless if you worry or not! Easier said than done.. ((Hugs))

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: