9633 replies to this topic

#8251 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Some of you know of my quest to make a good large flour tortilla -- it has been over five years since my kids have had a decent sized burrito -- living in the land of Mexican Fast Food makes that beyond difficult.

The Quest is over!

Thanks to a recipe passed to me by another nonWE -- we now have safe gluten free (decent sized) burritos for the first time in over five years -- was wonderful to see everyone enjoy safe burritos -- I even ate one (potato and rice - tummy's a bit fussy but digestive enzymes should help).

http://glutenfreerec...ten-free-wraps/

I doubled the recipe and used larger frying pans / 1/2 cup batter for each instead of the recommended 1/3 cup -- they freeze well so will likely make more next time.

Have no idea what is for dinner -- perhaps Quesodillas with the works :wub:

Which rice flour did you use?  I am definitely going to try those!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#8252 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

Which rice flour did you use?  I am definitely going to try those!

I used Bob's Red Mill because it was what I had on hand -- it calls for fava bean (or rice or sorghum) -- think the potato starch is important though.

These were incredible to cook too -- I've made a lot of smaller "flour" tortillas -- usually I make gluten-free crepes -- but these were even easy to flip once the pans were right temp -- kinda like pancakes...the first one is rarely great -- but 2-11 were fabulous :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8253 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

We are having breakfast for dinner today. Pancakes and eggs and bacon flavored sausage. And because insomnia is awesome, the strawberry muffins I baked at 2:30 this morning. I also cleaned the bathroom floor, did the dishes and left no mess to clean up from my muffins. Apparently I'm awesome in the middle of the night. B)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8254 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'm totally going to check out that tortilla recipe! I have a tortilla press and for a long time I have wanted to find a decent gluten-free flour tortilla recipe.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#8255 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

Salmon on the grill with a grilled pineapple " salsa", sort of stir fry veggies - fresh green beans, carrots and sweet onion with Teryaki, Schar baguette with garlic cream cheese & sea salt caramel and raspberry chocolate Talenti gelato!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8256 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

Salmon on the grill with a grilled pineapple " salsa", sort of stir fry veggies - fresh green beans, carrots and sweet onion with Teryaki, Schar baguette with garlic cream cheese & sea salt caramel and raspberry chocolate Talenti gelato!

Fancy!

Dinner tonight is paleo pizza for me and whatever we find at the Wawona Hotel Restaurant for the hubs as we are headed towards Yosemite right now....can't wait :)

Oh....cuz I'm getting a bit of grains back I added a touch of flour to my paleo cauliflower-crust to help make it even closer to real pizza....so mine is now paleo (ish) pizza ;)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#8257 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

It is snowing... in May... :ph34r:

No idea what i'm doing for dinner.

#8258 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

It is snowing... in May... :ph34r:

No idea what i'm doing for dinner.

I'd make chili or some type of soup or stew. Snow? Now? That just seems like some sort of really messed up and inappropriate joke.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8259 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'd make chili or some type of soup or stew. Snow? Now? That just seems like some sort of really messed up and inappropriate joke.

It looks more like a blizzard at the moment. :ph34r:

#8260 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

Fancy!

Dinner tonight is paleo pizza for me and whatever we find at the Wawona Hotel Restaurant for the hubs as we are headed towards Yosemite right now....can't wait :)

Oh....cuz I'm getting a bit of grains back I added a touch of flour to my paleo cauliflower-crust to help make it even closer to real pizza....so mine is now paleo (ish) pizza ;)

J and I stayed at the Wawona back in 2003 when we did our California tour!. Just an awesome place.  Enjoy! xx

sauteed collards & bacon, grilled pork and risotto.

and a big ole glass of tito's vodka and seltzer.

cheers!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8261 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

It looks more like a blizzard at the moment. :ph34r:

My kid at CSU said there was snow on the ground when he got up today. Not sure if they got more.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8262 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Rolled in from a camping weekend with a big group of friends near San Diego. Bought a Costco chicken on Friday and fixings prepared so that my family can heat and serve me! Winds are picking up. Expected to be a scorcher tomorrow!

Yosemite! Have fun, Lisa!

Happy Mother's Day!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8263 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Great to hear Irish....only camped once at the wawona campground...excited to stay at the hotel...added bonus the restaurant has a fabulous food menu - looks like the chef will be able to do something safe for me and they serve one of my favorite zins for eight bucks :D

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#8264 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

CL...enjoy your day near my hood and happy moms day to you too!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#8265 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Great to hear Irish....only camped once at the wawona campground...excited to stay at the hotel...added bonus the restaurant has a fabulous food menu - looks like the chef will be able to do something safe for me and they serve one of my favorite zins for eight bucks :D

As we recall, dinner was 4-star and we stayed in a cabin. Have fun!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: