• Please log in to reply

9823 replies to this topic

Gladys Rabbit

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

GR..I like the sound of your stew.  Do you actually put the sauerkraut in the stew, and if so how much?  How long do you cook it for?

Yes Zebra,  the saurkraut goes in the pot with everything else.  I saute the meaty items first and then put everything in the slow cooker til it's done.  "Done" is to taste, a few hours at least.  I used a big jar of kraut, plus a few cups of sliced cabbage to go with half a polish sausage, a few strips of bacon and one fat pork chop.

(I used some sauerkraut that says it doesn't contain vinegar.  Still plenty sour!)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

MycasMommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

Tonight (or tomorrow really but I have to prep tonight so I can manage) I am making Gyro salad.  Heavy on the meat AND veggies... and a side of Tzatziki dressing. 

Zebra007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

Yes Zebra,  the saurkraut goes in the pot with everything else.  I saute the meaty items first and then put everything in the slow cooker til it's done.  "Done" is to taste, a few hours at least.  I used a big jar of kraut, plus a few cups of sliced cabbage to go with half a polish sausage, a few strips of bacon and one fat pork chop.

(I used some sauerkraut that says it doesn't contain vinegar.  Still plenty sour!)

Thanks!

Diagnosed Ulcerative Colitis Feb 2014 (in remission)

Diagnosed Lichen Schlerosus May 2014

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Gluten free from Sept 2014

Dairy free from Dec 2014

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Last night we had grilled chicken, baked sweet potatoes, and green beans.  Tonight I am making red beans and rice and will have some carrots on the side.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

Wednesday was a sick day so I pulled some pulled pork out of the freezer and made that with green beans and baby carrots on the side.  So all I did was boil veggies and throw meat in the microwave.  

Pulled Pork in the crock pot:

Just put a pork roast in the crock pot with some BBQ sauce and unsweetened applesauce, 8 hours later on low have beautiful pulled pork that falls apart when you pick it up.  Season to taste.  Its a nice dish for very little effort and I freeze a lot of leftovers.  I get the leaner pork ribeye roast, it is a more reasonable 2-3 pounds for the two of us and less fat than a pork butt(which is actually their shoulder, not their hiney).  Pork tenderloin will work for it, too, but definitely needs liquid or it'll dry out.  Would work with a beef roast as well.

Last night I did another easy dinner of Bushs Baked beans with applegate hot dogs cut up into them.  Carrots on the side.  Really tasty and another easy meal for when I don't feel up to cooking.   

Tonight will be grilled pork chops, peas, and roasted mini white potatoes.  Today was a little crazy, had to sit in the bathtub with my angry cat as a tornado warning was going off.  My work I do from home requires power, phone, and internet, and since the power was flickering off and on for a while after had to start my weekend early.  No complaints there.  Just glad I did take shelter because the next town over got some bad damage.  Texas springtime, one minute it is all nice and the next minute it is violent and then nice again.

Tomorrow for dinner, my family is having a get together and they are making fajitas.  I am going to let my husband have at it with the flour tortillas, and I am bringing a frozen dinner so I don't even have to mess with it.  While the family member hosting could probably cook for me OK, would rather just not mess with it and enjoy the company.

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

kareng

May is Celiac Disease Awareness month

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,854 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

Tomorrow for dinner, my family is having a get together and they are making fajitas.  I am going to let my husband have at it with the flour tortillas, and I am bringing a frozen dinner so I don't even have to mess with it.  While the family member hosting could probably cook for me OK, would rather just not mess with it and enjoy the company.[/quote]

Sometimes I just don't want to mess and bring my own food, too.

"Children in a family are like flowers in a bouquet: there's always one determined to face in an opposite direction from the way the arranger desires."
~Marcelene Cox

"Earth laughs in flowers."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

flower-3-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

kareng

May is Celiac Disease Awareness month

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,854 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

trying to get this topic moving again.  I am getting bored with my old standards.  Hoping for some ideas.

Last night we had a pork stir fry.  I take ground pork (which is low fat and cheaper than chicken or beef right now).  I mix in a bunch of Chinese Five Spice powder, then cook it and remove it from the pan.  Then I stir fry whatever veggies I have.  I like to throw in some pineapple and any juice.  I had some asparagus in the freezer, so I threw that in at the end on to steam a bit.  I use some toasted sesame oil, Teryaki sauce, ginger, garlic, maybe a pinch of cayenne....  I made rice last night but sometimes I shred up some cabbage and throw it in at the end and skip the rice.

"Children in a family are like flowers in a bouquet: there's always one determined to face in an opposite direction from the way the arranger desires."
~Marcelene Cox

"Earth laughs in flowers."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

flower-3-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

i am throwing sauerkraut and brats in the crock pot tonight.  went away for the weekend and got glutened somewhere........  mine is a delayed reaction, so at least it didn't ruin the weekend.  (although, i was suspicious when i started having balance issues)  rahhh....  i have a ton of stuff to do and all i want to do is go to bed.   :(  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

Something got me too...but I can't for the life of me figure out what. So...yesterday I prepared my standard I feel awful but need some nutrition meal...chicken cooked in a crock pot in broth, boiled potatoes and steamed carrots. Will be eating that until the tummy settles. So much to do here too...we have less than 2 weeks left of school and there's is a lot of end of the year stuff going on plus 2 kids in sports. I just want to sleep, but I'm dragging myself through it.
January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:40 AM

Tonight I'm making grilled honey lime chicken, baked parmesan squash and something with rice or potatoes that I still need to decide.
January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

Bob Marley

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

What have I been making lately?  Hmm a few weeks ago I made a big batch of Italian Wedding Soup.  Something I had access to the genuine version as a kid and I thought hey, why not make it.  I used this recipe and used pork and beef for the meatballs, the good kind of cheeses cause that really stands out in this soup, gluten-free stock for the boullion cubes, Udi's bread for the crumbs, and instead of serving it over pasta I served it over cooked quinoa.  I froze about 6 servings after eating on it for two days so I will be having it occasionally until it runs out.  

I have been having reactions to my IVIG (immunodeficiency med) infusions again lately, so there are days where I can't put a lot of effort into meals.  Freezing stuff ahead of time really helps, and lately one of my stand by meals has been hot dogs cut up and heated with a can of bush's baked beans for home made beanie weenie, with some husband approved veggie on the side.  LOL.  It really is a nice way to eat hot dogs and not buy expensive gluten-free buns.

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

Chilly, rainy day here. I'm making chicken enchilada soup and corn bread.
January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

Bob Marley

Gladys Rabbit

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

Fried eggs on salad w/  lemon sauce!

gilligan