This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Ennis-TX Grand Master

So for New Years Lunch we are mostly doing snacks, so a good list of ideas for others.
Ham and Cream Cheese Roll Ups
As a kid my mother did tortillas with cream cheese spread then ham and rolled up.
Now days I do Applegate Deli ham, soften and spread Miyoko Dairy Free Cream Cheese and scallions on it thick on one side to fill the center when rolled .
Deviled Eggs
Simple Deviled eggs with Primal Kitchen Mayo, Spicy Mustard, a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar and lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper mix the yolk in with a hand mixer and pipe it into the eggs and top with smoked paprika.
A bit of a trick to cook them perfectly...your instapot, put a inch of water in the bottom with that metal spacer in the bottom you want the water just below it, set to steam once it starts getting hot put your eggs in top with the lid (leave the vent open) and steam for 14mins. Then place ice water bath inside a food container with lid. 15mins of this drain most the water, secure the lid and shake it 40 some odd times hard. Now you just easy remove what is left of the shell.
BBQ Weenies
Used to do this with little smokies but now days I use Applegate Organic Beef hot dogs (no filler great quality hotdogs) cut them up into 1" pieces and slow cook them in BBQ sauces of choice. I am trying a new thing, browning half the pieces in a skillet first for a crisper outside.
Smoked Salmon Squares
Nova, Scottish, or Plain Smoke Salmon precut ultra thin works here. I take Nori (seaweed sheets used in sushi) sheets and cut into 1-1.5" squares top with a bit of Miyoko Cream cheese then a bit of folded smoked salmon, this makes my favorite finger food.

While not quite a snack we are also doing Cauliflower Mash, Smoked Ham (to be diced with salad), and some of my Keto Sugar Cookies. I need to post my Mash recipe later.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

So for New Years Lunch we are mostly doing snacks, so a good list of ideas for others.
Ham and Cream Cheese Roll Ups
As a kid my mother did tortillas with cream cheese spread then ham and rolled up.
Now days I do Applegate Deli ham, soften and spread Miyoko Dairy Free Cream Cheese and scallions on it thick on one side to fill the center when rolled .
Deviled Eggs
Simple Deviled eggs with Primal Kitchen Mayo, Spicy Mustard, a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar and lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper mix the yolk in with a hand mixer and pipe it into the eggs and top with smoked paprika.
A bit of a trick to cook them perfectly...your instapot, put a inch of water in the bottom with that metal spacer in the bottom you want the water just below it, set to steam once it starts getting hot put your eggs in top with the lid (leave the vent open) and steam for 14mins. Then place ice water bath inside a food container with lid. 15mins of this drain most the water, secure the lid and shake it 40 some odd times hard. Now you just easy remove what is left of the shell.
BBQ Weenies
Used to do this with little smokies but now days I use Applegate Organic Beef hot dogs (no filler great quality hotdogs) cut them up into 1" pieces and slow cook them in BBQ sauces of choice. I am trying a new thing, browning half the pieces in a skillet first for a crisper outside.
Smoked Salmon Squares
Nova, Scottish, or Plain Smoke Salmon precut ultra thin works here. I take Nori (seaweed sheets used in sushi) sheets and cut into 1-1.5" squares top with a bit of Miyoko Cream cheese then a bit of folded smoked salmon, this makes my favorite finger food.

While not quite a snack we are also doing Cauliflower Mash, Smoked Ham (to be diced with salad), and some of my Keto Sugar Cookies. I need to post my Mash recipe later.

Sounds great!  We are making hamburgers on the grill and some fries in the air fryer.

kareng Grand Master

We made Krusteaz cinnamon coffee cake for breakfast!  I have done them as muffins, too. Very tasty.  Plenty of topping.  You could add a simple powdered sugar, milk/water and vanilla glaze drizzle, but they don’t really need it.  

78025B55-EEEF-4637-A511-C04EBF9DD573.webp

82AF94AC-220B-47A7-AB79-BC937EE48BAD.webp

mbrookes Community Regular

Y'all obviously are not in the South. We are having turnip greens (brings money), black-eyed peas (brings good luck) and pork tenderloin. Any kind of pork will do to bring more good luck. Round out with cornbread (just because it's good) and the end of the homemade fruitcake.

Everyone I know is having some version of the same. We have a lot of food customs here.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
37 minutes ago, mbrookes said:

Y'all obviously are not in the South. We are having turnip greens (brings money), black-eyed peas (brings good luck) and pork tenderloin. Any kind of pork will do to bring more good luck. Round out with cornbread (just because it's good) and the end of the homemade fruitcake.

Everyone I know is having some version of the same. We have a lot of food customs here.

Whole family is diabetic, and I have a corn allergy so no more cornbread or black eye peas. We also had a half pound of smoked Ham left over from christmas.

Lol my dad hates turnip greens, I love them sauté with bacon. 

PS the black Eyed Peas luck thing is complete BS, 2019 was proof of that. 

GFinDC Veteran

We had a turkey and a ham for Christmas.  Plus sweet taters cole slaw, and almond cake with swerve not sugar.  Since then made turkey soup from the bones and ham bone soup from the bones.  Ham bone soup came out more like rice and veggies since the water was a little short, but that's ok.  Ham bone soup with cauliflower, peas corn, and a wild rice mixture   Also made sauerkraut and pork for New Years. but didn't put a silver dollar in the sauerkraut.  If you put an old silver dollar in the sauerkraut while you cook it, the silver dollar comes out bright and shiny like the new year.  That's a German thing or something.

Edited by GFinDC
  • 2 weeks later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master

Bit of a odd one but a keto take on Migas has been my go to breakfast for half this week. Growing up my mother used to take partial bags of fritos or chips lightly crush them throw in a warm skillet and crack in some eggs and scramble over medium-low heat and serve with salsa.

I am taking 4505 pork rinds and doing the same thing but leaving out the salsa and just salt and pepper. they become a little chewy....and I SO wish I could mix in some real cheddar cheese with this. The flavor is great and it is very filling.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

Tonight hubby is grilling burgers and I'm breaking out the new Air Fryer...hoping to get some good fries to go with!

I  got an air fryer for Christmas and I LOVE it. So far I have done fried shrimp, fried chicken, fried pork chops and chicken fried steaks. It was all amazing and I feel like it is so much healthier than the old way of soaking everything in grease. My advice is to get a good cookbook. I am using "The Essential Air Fryer Cookbook" by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.  

icelandgirl Proficient

That's good to know mbrookes!  The fries were decent, but I do believe that there's a bit of a learning curve involved.  I think I'm going to have to check out that cookbook!

Tonight I'm trying breaded chicken tenders in the air fryer...air fryer part 2!  I'm also going to make Mac and cheese in the Instant pot and a salad. ?

I don't have an instant pot. Is that something y'all love?

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Love both Maria Emmerich has recipe books for both air fryer and instapot with all keto and gluten free meals if you need some inspirations >,< I have yet to buy them, but plan to sometime hopefully.
I had tons of fun coming up with ways to do alternate breadings a few months back from using ground up pork rinds to different nut flour blends and binders.
The Instapot gave way to meat loaves, pot roast, ribs, and barbacoa... Found I could only stomach the meat loafs and barbacoa after trimming all the fat off prior. The rest I just gave to my parents after I found I did not handle them hell.

Edited by Ennis_TX
icelandgirl Proficient
1 hour ago, mbrookes said:

I don't have an instant pot. Is that something y'all love?

I do enjoy the instant pot.  I love the Mac and cheese I make in it and have used it for a variety of other things too.  For me it was a bit of a learning curve too!

cyclinglady Grand Master

I love my for many reasons.  I do not have an oven in my RV.  I can make a little meatloaf in it, cook rice, slow cook, cook dried beans or even make a small cheesecake.  I use it outside on the patio on sweltering hot days to make both broth or cook chicken fast and keep my house cool.  

Oven-Roasted rosemary chicken tonight.  Tomorrow I am making a batch of bone broth.  

The best thing is being able to walk away from your kitchen.  No pot to burn on the stove.  But that is not really an issue for me.  I hang out in my kitchen.  

notme Experienced

yesterday, we made (o gosh, I watch too much food network, lolz) a trisha Yearwood recipe for garlicky beef shank stew - made it with a venison roast in our cast iron dutch oven.  t'was delicious and basically no fat to drain off because venison is so lean.  served over jovial pasta.

Saturday, we made fried butterflied shrimp, cocktail sauce and a zucchini salad.  I was having problems with store-bought prepared horseradish, so I bought a root and ground up my own.  super easy - did it in the mini choppa - just add a little salt and I put in white wine vinegar instead of plain white vinegar.  i'm never buying prepared horseradish again.   did not bother me at all.

Friday, I finally tried the 'ATK how can it be gluten free' recipe for pizza dough.  I adjusted the flour mixture a little and added ground flax meal to it, and a little plain yogurt.  turned out good, although the recipe says it makes TWO pizza crusts, parbaked, I am a jersey girl, I want my pizza crust thin, chewy and crunchy - next time i'm making 4 or 6 crusts, but super thin and see how that goes.  you hafta 'shape' the dough with oiled plastic wrap, I can make it really thin.  that being said, it was good tasting crust, just too thick for me.  we topped it with sausage, pepperoni, green peppers, onions, black olives, mushrooms and roasted roma tomatoes (frozen from my garden) - yum, I still have leftovers, i'll be eating pizza for lunch :) 

• 1 month later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master

Did a bowl of scrambled eggs, 1oz bacon extra crispy, and made a cheese sauceout of Leaf Cusine Smoked gouda spread and hot water with salt and pepper. This paired well with strips of a nuco coconut wrap used for tortillas.

20200307_120132.webp

• 11 months later...
Scott Adams Grand Master

We had a traditional Chinese New Year dinner last night with rice, Taiwanese spinach, and fish (which is traditional for new year).