9532 replies to this topic

#1081 stellinpa

stellinpa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

I thought it might be fun if we had a thread where we shared what we're cooking up for dinner:) I am not an experienced cook so coming up with gluten free menus for me and my boyfriend feels like a challenge. It's also weird since I only started eating meat since my diagnosis, so I have 0 experience preparing meat.

Tonight I'm going to try that Tinkyada spiral pasta with some gluten-free pasta sauce and gluten-free meatballs I got from TJ's.

Meatloaf, baked potato with home made salsa, and a vegetable to be named at dinnertime.
Life without horse? I don't think so!

Gluten Free since Jan. 2011. Not diagnosed, got tired of going to Drs and tried it on my own.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#1082 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

Change of plans. We WERE going to have something fabulous but it is too hot to sear/roast duck breast. So, we're grilling burgers to go with toasted Udi's buns. We'll have homemade mustard, ketchup, garlic aioli and nectarine caramelized onion jam I made last year to go with them. Mustard coleslaw. Watermelon granita again!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#1083 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

Change of plans. We WERE going to have something fabulous but it is too hot to sear/roast duck breast. So, we're grilling burgers to go with toasted Udi's buns. We'll have homemade mustard, ketchup, garlic aioli and nectarine caramelized onion jam I made last year to go with them. Mustard coleslaw. Watermelon granita again!

If you don't mind me asking, how do you make your homemade mustard? I found a recipe that uses ground mustard seeds, apple cider vinegar, light brown sugar and honey, but it just does not have the right flavor although it is not bad.

#1084 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how do you make your homemade mustard? I found a recipe that uses ground mustard seeds, apple cider vinegar, light brown sugar and honey, but it just does not have the right flavor although it is not bad.

I make quite a large variety of flavours - will look some up and post. The one you describe is pretty typical but can be quite sharp. Did you allow it to sit for the flavours to mellow a bit? Do you like grainy mustards or smooth?
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#1085 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

I make quite a large variety of flavours - will look some up and post. The one you describe is pretty typical but can be quite sharp. Did you allow it to sit for the flavours to mellow a bit? Do you like grainy mustards or smooth?

I let it sit for about 3 hours, the recipe had said just an hour. I like both types of mustard, but I prefer grainy.

#1086 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

I let it sit for about 3 hours, the recipe had said just an hour. I like both types of mustard, but I prefer grainy.

I prefer grainy, too. Many recipes actually recommend sitting in the pantry for a couple of months to mellow prior to putting it in the fridge but some don't.

This is one of my favourites - I keep it nice and chunky.
http://www.foodandwi...-yellow-mustard

And others...
http://www.food.com/...e-mustard-37981
http://www.apinchof....semary1066.html
http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/17187

The others are in cookbooks so I will dig for a few more.

Edited by love2travel, 17 July 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#1087 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Multigrain Pilaf with Lentils
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Steamed Spinach

Microwave Fresh Raspberry-Blueberry Compote

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#1088 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

Last night we had goat curry. (Not curried goat, if you know what I mean.)

Tonight we had grilled chicken marinated in pesto and roasted potatos. And sweet cheeries dipped in chocolate sauce. That was too good to be true!

(Found the recipe on Allrecipes.) It was even good on watermelon.

Yea. Had a little chocolate fest down here today. The goat got me going.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#1089 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

Is your pesto recipe dairy free? If so, I'd love to have it.

#1090 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Traditional pesto contains extra virgin olive oil, a touch of coarse salt, garlic, basil, pinenuts and Parmesan BUT you can make it without the cheese. I make many versions including sundried tomato, kale, arugula, mint, sage, rosemary...you can also substitute other nuts such as toasted walnuts for the pine nuts. I've taught an entire cooking class on pesto alone! :)

#1091 Maggie Mermaid

Maggie Mermaid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

Grilled chicken thighs (marinated in minced fresh garlic, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, and dried oregano); green salad and cucumbers with minced shallots, lemon juice, and olive oil; steamed broccoli; and brown basmati rice.
Enlarged thyroid with nodules and Hashimoto's diagnosed 2007. Self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant.

Husband is gluten-intolerant, also self-diagnosed, suffered from severe eczema which has largely disappeared since avoiding wheat, corn, tomatoes, tree nuts.

#1092 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

I use a mini food processor. For this batch, I used about 1 1/2 cups fresh basil, 2 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup pistachios,(can use any nuts, or no nuts), approximately 1/8 cup good olive oil, sea salt. You don't need pepper because the basil is so peppery. Grind it until it is pesto consistency. I also like this made with parsley half and half or all out parsley. Love it with macadamia nuts too (cut back on the olive oil) or tree nuts if you can tolerate them.

You kind of miss the cheese because it isn't as rich, but it is still very flavorful and great on grilled foods or used as a rub/marinade. :)

It is really easy to grow basil! I abuse my poor plants and they keep producing.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#1093 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

I use a mini food processor. For this batch, I used about 1 1/2 cups fresh basil, 2 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup pistachios,(can use any nuts, or no nuts), approximately 1/8 cup good olive oil, sea salt. You don't need pepper because the basil is so peppery. Grind it until it is pesto consistency. I also like this made with parsley half and half or all out parsley. Love it with macadamia nuts too (cut back on the olive oil) or tree nuts if you can tolerate them.

You kind of miss the cheese because it isn't as rich, but it is still very flavorful and great on grilled foods or used as a rub/marinade. :)

It is really easy to grow basil! I abuse my poor plants and they keep producing.

Thanks! I have a nice basil plant but we are starting to get some weird spots on all of our herbs and I have no clue what to do about it.

#1094 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

Hamburger on rice cakes.......and wine
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#1095 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Pulled pork (http://crockpot365.b...ork-recipe.html) on an Udi's bun, cantelope & potato chips. New Planet beer.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: