9532 replies to this topic

#1141 krystynycole

krystynycole

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thanksthat should help! i'll have to have a good look see at the grocery stores around me!

I don't know if you have these stores where you live, but in IL we have what's called Fresh Pick Market stores. They are a grocery store, but have mainly fruit and veggies and not much "shelf" foods. As a result they have a lot of ethic foods in the line of spices and stuff. Just an idea...hope you find it!

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#1142 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Thanksthat should help! i'll have to have a good look see at the grocery stores around me!

Ensure it is not safflower you are getting - it looks similar to saffron but is a very poor imitation (i.e. it would definitely turn a person off if s/he thought it was saffron). The good saffron from Iran and Spain is very expensive (about $40-$50 for about 1 tbsp) but as mentioned the grocery store stuff is cheaper (but sufficient and sort of similar to the real thing!). Great in Risotto Milanese and paella! :)

To get the most flavour from your saffron make sure to steep it in some hot or warm liquid rather than just throwing it into a dish. The threads are from a specific species of crocus that only blooms a short time each year and are hand picked (each crocus only has a few) - that is why the authentic thing is so darned expensive.

Good luck finding some - I hope you do!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#1143 aroche84

aroche84

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Good job! You can make extra rice an freeze it in a baggie with your name on it. Then pop it out when you need some. I have found it stays good in the freezer for 3 months. Sometimes I cook little bits of carrot with the rice for a little added nutrition.

Thanks for the tip!!! I have a rice steamer that cooks my rice in the microwave in 6 minutes to perfection but I will keep that in mind for trips bc as sad as it is I can't take all my cooking goodies with me
~*Ashley*~

#1144 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

I'm making cottage pie and fried rice but will decide later what we'll have tonight and what we'll put in the freezer :)
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#1145 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

We had left-over home-made chili. We just introduced white beans and tomatoes after about 6 months with no nightshades or legumes, so it has been pretty exciting! :)
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#1146 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

It's a hot one today so we are grilling again...

Korean Flank Steak, marinated and grilled, drizzled with a Korean vinaigrette
Zucchini "carpaccio" with goat cheese, pine nuts, fresh mint and honey orange vinaigrette
Baby Garden Potatoes with Fresh Herbs and Garlic
Strawberry Fool
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#1147 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Red potatoes with butter and fresh chives from my garden, corn on the cob, and mushroom sauteed in butter, onions, and garlic.

This is our farmer's market meal.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#1148 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

Pizza...it's been awhile since I made it. Hot here, too, but cool in the house with the A/C on. :)
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#1149 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Pizza...it's been awhile since I made it. Hot here, too, but cool in the house with the A/C on. :)

That sounds really good.

We are having london broil and smashed potatoes, probably add cucumbers too.

#1150 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

Boiled crabs caught fresh today! (and all the fixin's: mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, corn, sausage, hot dogs, green beans, okra, onions, and dip)

#1151 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

Taco night for the kids and leftover chicken with avocados for me. I'm too tired to be creative tonight.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#1152 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Pear Marinated Korean Short Ribs
Smashed Potatoes and Root Vegetables with Chive Butter
Green Beans (from my garden) with Sauteed Mushrooms, Shallots and Pancetta

#1153 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

We had steaks on our new grill, baked potatoes and steamed broccoli. Simple and yummy! I've missed grilled food!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#1154 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:56 AM

We had steaks on our new grill, baked potatoes and steamed broccoli. Simple and yummy! I've missed grilled food!

Awesome that you can grill! Hopefully your move went very well.

#1155 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

Tonight we're having:

Local Grilled Brats with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Red Peppers (am using some of my homemade pear chutney as well)
Twice Baked Potatoes with Pancetta, Garlic Scapes and Blue Cheese
Rosemary Orange Braised Baby Carrots
Strawberry Fool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: