9633 replies to this topic

#1186 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm hopeless! That's what happens when you live alone...who needs a table? I put shredded cheddar cheese on it...does that count? And the chili is homemade! I'll try not to spill it on my keyboard. :P
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#1187 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

I'm hopeless! That's what happens when you live alone...who needs a table? I put shredded cheddar cheese on it...does that count? And the chili is homemade! I'll try not to spill it on my keyboard. :P

You're too funny. When my husband is away our kitchen table stands alone. :P

Is the cheese at least Mexican? If so, which region in Mexico? Was the chili powder homemade or did you..GASP...buy it?? :lol: :lol: I'll let you get back to Mexico in peace... B)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#1188 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

Gasp! I've failed the gourmet test. Sometimes dinner is an absolute miracle!!! :rolleyes:

Now when my kids were little or when my granddaughter is here, breakfast, lunch and dinner are eaten at a table. :D
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#1189 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

Grilling again...may as well take advantage of our short summers!

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Shrimp with Salsa Fresca
Grilled Zucchini with Ricotta, Fresh Mint and Pine Nuts
Rosemary Skewered Baby Potatoes
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#1190 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

Well, it's lunch as well as supper, but I'm proud of myself. I COOKED something and it came out really good! I roasted a large chicken breast (with both skin and bones), and when it was done I took the meat off the bones (after I stood at the counter and ate some of the cripay skin :) ). Then I added water to the drippings and cooked my brown rice in that water/drippings mixture. I added some parsley, and some rosemary. Now, I love the taste of rosemary, but I don't like chewing on those "twigs", so I put it in a tea ball and hung it over the side of the pan. It gave the rice a great flavor.

So then I mixed the shredded chicken with the rice and added some finely chopped broccoli. Not only does it taste good, but it's kind of pretty to look at too. That's the way I had it for lunch, but I've got a question: I have some gluten-free sour cream that I added some garlic to that I've been using as a vegetable dip. Would it be good if I added a touch of that to the mix? I'm thinking the sour cream part might be OK, but I don't know if the garlic will go good with the rosemary. What do you experienced cooks think?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#1191 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

It sounds awesome. :) Well done!
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#1192 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Not sure what we're having tonight but tomorrow night it's my little girl's birthday so her choice is lentil rissoles with mashed potato, roast sweet potato, pumpkin and carrot and steame broccoli and zucchini so that's for tomorrow night. I think maybe a salad or something tonight, not sure yet.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#1193 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Salmon Artichoke Patties (retro with a post-millenium twist)
Summer Smashed Red Potatoes
Peas (freezer, sadly, the garden was too wet to pick from)
Chocolate

First serious cooked meal in almost a week-- I've been furiously working on final edits on my cooking for one cookbook. It's almost there, but find it sort of ironic that I've been living on peanut butter and carrot sticks while finishing a cookbook on healthy eating for one.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#1194 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:32 AM

I wish I knew...I had planned on having taco chicken, coat chicken with taco season and pan fry it then after it's mostly cook add salsa and let it soak up some flavor. We used to serve it with sour cream, but I'm not sure we will do that when we have it.

#1195 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

Nothing exciting tonight, I'm afraid. Have been in such excruciating pain lately.

Lemongrass and Kaffir Lime Leaf Beef Stir Fry
Bay-Scented Jasmine Rice
Steamed Green Beans

#1196 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Grilled mini olive burgers, (no buns) cottage cheese and fresh black cherries. That probably sounds disgusting, but it was really god.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#1197 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

Well, it's lunch as well as supper, but I'm proud of myself. I COOKED something and it came out really good! I roasted a large chicken breast (with both skin and bones), and when it was done I took the meat off the bones (after I stood at the counter and ate some of the cripay skin :) ). Then I added water to the drippings and cooked my brown rice in that water/drippings mixture. I added some parsley, and some rosemary. Now, I love the taste of rosemary, but I don't like chewing on those "twigs", so I put it in a tea ball and hung it over the side of the pan. It gave the rice a great flavor.

So then I mixed the shredded chicken with the rice and added some finely chopped broccoli. Not only does it taste good, but it's kind of pretty to look at too. That's the way I had it for lunch, but I've got a question: I have some gluten-free sour cream that I added some garlic to that I've been using as a vegetable dip. Would it be good if I added a touch of that to the mix? I'm thinking the sour cream part might be OK, but I don't know if the garlic will go good with the rosemary. What do you experienced cooks think?

I think you sould go with your insticts. If you want to be cautious, just mix a bit of the chicken with the sour cream/garlic and taste it after if sits for a few hours or overnight.

If you want to stretch the chicken a bit farther, chop up grapes, celery, apples, toss in some nuts, and have that on a bed of lettuce or in a lettuce wrap. You could throw in some curry powder if you want to change it up a bit. My thinking is that rosemary is good with potatoes and sour cream is good with potatoes, so rosemary garlic sour cream is probably the bomb. I think that will be good with cold chicken.

P.S. Rosemary and grainy gluten-free mustard are really tasty as a sauce or marinade. Just add agave, honey or brown sugar. Unbelievably good, and who'd have thought?
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#1198 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

Tonight is leftover night...

Steamed and Grilled Brats with Roasted Red Pepper and Caramelized Onions
Twice Baked Stuffed Potatoes with Pancetta and Blue Cheese
Cherry Tomatoes with Tequila Lime Vinaigrette
Nectarines with Rosemary and Honey Glaze

Wow. that sounds incredible. Guess you went around the world! :D (At least US, France, Italy and Mexico...did I leave anything out?) Oh Canada, Oh Canada...

#1199 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

Wow. that sounds incredible. Guess you went around the world! :D (At least US, France, Italy and Mexico...did I leave anything out?) Oh Canada, Oh Canada...

Don't forget Germany (bratwurst). That was kind of a mishmash when you think about it (but a tasty mishmash). :P

#1200 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

gluten-free pizza on the grill with mushrooms, homemade sundried tomato and basil pesto, back bacon, pizza sauce, tomatoes from the garden...our arugula has bolted so too late for that.

Strawberry Fool for dessert.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: