8832 replies to this topic

#1426 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Wow! That sounds good, Manna. What is Med Rice?

Oops, I mis-typed that. It was actually called Middle Eastern Rice. Here's the recipe: http://allrecipes.co...eas/detail.aspx

It was just okay. I felt like the recipe would have been better with ground beef or lamb instead of ground turkey. The rice was good but the turkey just didn't taste right with the beans and spices to me.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#1427 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Have you tried that really pretty yellow and green one shaped like an acorn? I love butternut, but I love this variety even more.

I love to cut an acorn squash in half, put the halves in my crock pot and fill them with different things--You can go sweet and fill with apples or applesauce with cinnimon, brown sugar, raisons or craisins and walnuts or pecans. Or fill with a savory ground meat filling--ground turkey and rice with sage and butter is good.

Last year I tried delicata squash for the first time--it's a long striped multi-colored winter squash and tastes very similar to sweet potatoes when roasted.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#1428 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Tonight I made rice chex encrusted chicken breasts with green beans and mashed potatoes.

#1429 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

I love to cut an acorn squash in half, put the halves in my crock pot and fill them with different things--You can go sweet and fill with apples or applesauce with cinnimon, brown sugar, raisons or craisins and walnuts or pecans. Or fill with a savory ground meat filling--ground turkey and rice with sage and butter is good.

Last year I tried delicata squash for the first time--it's a long striped multi-colored winter squash and tastes very similar to sweet potatoes when roasted.

mmmm.... that sounds good!!!!

i had never even heard of delicata squash until a couple of days ago... it was being used on a cooking show I was watching, or something like that.... then when i went to Walmart Monday night, they had some, but I didn't get one.... maybe next time I'll have to get one so i can try it!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#1430 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Ice cream :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#1431 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Ice cream :D

mmmm.... ice cream is always good for dinner! :D :)

(we won't mention that I basicly had candy bars for dinner a couple nights ago. Yep, you guessed it- we can thank PMS for that one!) :)
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#1432 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

I made a batch of homemade noodles. Boiled up a chicken, deboned it into the broth, added the noodles. This is a dish that is a tradition in our family. We eat it over mashed potatoes. Noodles turned out great!!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#1433 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:17 AM

Quick and easy tonight:

Grilled Marinated Shell-on Shrimp (in lime juice, fresh ginger, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, fish sauce, garlic, Thai chiles, etc.)
Veggie Stir Fry with Cashews and Sesame Seeds
...all served over gluten-free udon noodles

Getting ready to leave on vacation for three weeks (leaving Wednesday) so are cleaning out the fridge and using up odds 'n ends. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#1434 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Tuna and (gluten free) noodle casserole.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#1435 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

meatloaf with homemade pickles.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#1436 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

meatloaf with homemade pickles.

Oh, yum!
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#1437 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

Pizza (homemade, of course)
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#1438 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

I bought a clump of fennel at the farmer's market on Friday. So far, we've had Ina G's fennel and cheese gratin (scalloped potatoes and fennel with cheese), chicken soup with fennel and root vegetables, white bean dip with fennnel. I'm loving fennel!

For dinner, we had grilled pork loin ribs, Ina G's taters, and pear crisp.

I made homemade crackers today too. They're so much beter than anything I've bought. Used Elana Amsterdam's sesame cracker recipe. My DP loved them too. (And he'd tell he if they weren't good.)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#1439 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Tonight we're having crackers and white bean /fennel dip, sweet potatoes and grilled fennel sausauge. I still have left over pear crisp, but that might be tomorrow's breakfast. I'm finally getting used to being food focused. :D :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#1440 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

I tried a Mexican Casserole recipe for dinner tonight.
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: