9581 replies to this topic

#1441 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

I tried a Mexican Casserole recipe for dinner tonight.

How was it???
Recipe please :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#1442 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

Mexican twice-baked potato with salsa & sour cream

(Potatoes were on sale today 5 lbs for $1, gonna be having a lot of those!)
Gluten-Free as of September 2011

Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits...it says 'Oooooooo'.
Peter, those are Cheerios.

#1443 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

Lots! Muscovy, mallard, domestic tame (my brother raises them). Are you looking for suggestions for roasting a whole duck, duck breasts or other (i.e. foie gras, duck confit)? I have tons of duck recipes as duck is one of my favourite things in the world to eat! :) Do you want recipes or cooking techniques?

Sorry I'm so late on the reply! :) Um... any suggestions on cooking part of this particular duck. It was much drier than I remember, and I only cooked the dark parts. I'm afraid if I get only the breast I would destroy it. I'm not usually this challenged, but it's expensive, especially if it's not so edible. I think I cooked it too long, which really wasn't all that long.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#1444 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Tortilla soup! Actually made with tortillas!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#1445 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Now trying something new for dessert, Peanut Butter Baked Apples. Will see how it turns out

#1446 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

Rice with melted cheese and salsa.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#1447 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

Tonight we had thin beef sirloin tip with garlic, peeled white sliced potatoes boiled and served with butter, and cooked green beans. A simple meal, but delicious!

These days I seem to crave beef twice a week. It gives me more energy. I just make sure I have some pancreatic enzymes to help with the digestion and I am fine.

It was a nice antidote actually after a couple of days of having suffered from some trace gluten after a new friend came over with her supposed gluten-free dish for a gluten free potluck. She didn't realize that an oven previously used to bake gluten pies etc. was a big no no for us. She should have since she otherwise is eating gluten-free. She has celiac and thyroid cancer which isn't going away. Not hard to guess why.

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#1448 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Yummy pork ribs fresh from the grill, baked potatos and a green salad!!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#1449 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

-roasted kabocha squash & apple soup with toasted pumpkin seeds (or "pepitas" - shout out to love2travel) & scallions,
served over rice
-baked cauliflower with lime & chili

#1450 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

I made a batch of homemade noodles. Boiled up a chicken, deboned it into the broth, added the noodles. This is a dish that is a tradition in our family. We eat it over mashed potatoes. Noodles turned out great!!

Would you share your noodle recipe? Pretty please, and Jestgar, if you have a good pickle recipe, I'd live to learn... :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#1451 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

Tonight's menu: Pork chops with apples and honey glaze, baked potato with broccoli
(Yep, more potatoes!)

"She didn't realize that an oven previously used to bake gluten pies etc. was a big no no for us"

What? My oven will CC me???? I sure hope not, it's baking my pork chops right now. Do you mean she used a TOASTER oven, with a crumby tray? Please explain for the newbie..... :)

#1452 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

Tortilla soup! Actually made with tortillas!

get. out. where did you get them? (don't say teff, don't say teff, don't say teff...) :D

one of the 'other things' i miss is flour tortillas. although i am doing better with using the corn ones.

edited to say:
last night we made macaroni n cheese w/stewed tomatoes.

tonight we smoked salmon and tuna w/roasted potato rounds and acorn squash a'la billyhowell (yumms - butter, salt n pepper and brown sugar!)

but the other night we made: chicken chow mein like they used to make in new jersey :) complete with fried crispy noodles - o my gosh, i was in 'china paradise' :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#1453 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Tonight's menu: Pork chops with apples and honey glaze, baked potato with broccoli
(Yep, more potatoes!)

"She didn't realize that an oven previously used to bake gluten pies etc. was a big no no for us"

What? My oven will CC me???? I sure hope not, it's baking my pork chops right now. Do you mean she used a TOASTER oven, with a crumby tray? Please explain for the newbie..... :)

Yes, it will gluten you if you share an oven with someone that either currently uses it for gluten items, or if it was previously used for them in the past and hasn't been de-glutened. Does not matter what type of oven it is, it needs to be gluten free--even a microwave. Otherwise you are being exposed to gluten circulating in the hot oven air. If it wasn't new when you got it, you need to put it through the self cleaning cycle.

Am not sure if the old fashioned method of using lye to get off the old baked on stuff in an oven will work for a gas oven or an electric oven that doesn't have a self cleaning cycle (or one that works anyway). Be good to know this! Help me with this somebody!

Otherwise, I suggest you get a dedicated gluten-free toaster oven to bake your food (and/or a new microwave), or buy a new oven.

Gluten does not "die" unless it has been charred by 600 degree Farenheit heat for a while... At first you might not notice the effects of constant exposure to CC (cross contamination) from this or other sources, but believe me it takes its toll on your health. Far better to get rid of the source.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#1454 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

Yes, it will gluten you if you share an oven with someone that either currently uses it for gluten items, or if it was previously used for them in the past and hasn't been de-glutened. Does not matter what type of oven it is, it needs to be gluten free--even a microwave. Otherwise you are being exposed to gluten circulating in the hot oven air. If it wasn't new when you got it, you need to put it through the self cleaning cycle.

Am not sure if the old fashioned method of using lye to get off the old baked on stuff in an oven will work for a gas oven or an electric oven that doesn't have a self cleaning cycle (or one that works anyway). Be good to know this! Help me with this somebody!

Otherwise, I suggest you get a dedicated gluten-free toaster oven to bake your food (and/or a new microwave), or buy a new oven.

Gluten does not "die" unless it has been charred by 600 degree Farenheit heat for a while... At first you might not notice the effects of constant exposure to CC (cross contamination) from this or other sources, but believe me it takes its toll on your health. Far better to get rid of the source.

I got rid of my old grill, but sorry, I can't buy into getting rid of the old oven. I use parchment paper on top of my old cookie sheets and stick them in my old oven. I could be wrong, but wish you would provide scientific evidence (aricle or etc.) to make this claim.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#1455 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

-"Humble Vegetable Casserole," recipe from the "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" cookbook
-not-humble-at-all applesauce, with cranberries, tangerine juice & zest, cloves, allspice, bay leaf, maple syrup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: