• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

Rowena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:16 AM

So last night, in an attempt to prove that I can make an apple something dessert, I looked up a recipe for apple crisp and then altered it to be gluten-free. (And I added a couple ingredients too) You guys probably have a recipe similar to this if not the same, but I wanted to share anyway.

6 Granny Smith apples.
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp nutmeg

1 1/2 cups flour mix of your choosing (I used pamela's baking and pancake mix, as I am too lazy to make my own mix and I can't buy many flours in bulk at the moment.)
Just over a cup of white sugar (1 and 1/8 cup)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Just over a 1/4 tsp salt (its like 3/8 tsp)
two eggs
3 tbs butter melted.
A dash of vanilla

Preheat oven to 375.

I start by melting the butter in a bowl in the microwave (or however you choose to do it.) And while that is melting I combine the flour, white sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Mix those dry ingredients together. Then when the butter is melted, I crack the two eggs into the melted butter and then put a dash of vanilla in with egg and butter. Beat nicely with a whisk. Dispense egg mixture into flour mixture, and mix well. (I use my hands and a fork, but whatever works for you.)

Then I do the peeling and coring and slicing of apples (I do them last so they are less likely to brown). I put them in a bowl. Once those are done, I put in the sugar and nutmeg, and stir.

Once the apples are mixed I put them in a 9x13 pan. Then I use my hands to sprinkle the flour mixture on top. Put in the oven and cook 30-40 mins or until top is golden brown.

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

So last night, in an attempt to prove that I can make an apple something dessert, I looked up a recipe for apple crisp and then altered it to be gluten-free. (And I added a couple ingredients too) You guys probably have a recipe similar to this if not the same, but I wanted to share anyway.

6 Granny Smith apples.
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp nutmeg

1 1/2 cups flour mix of your choosing (I used pamela's baking and pancake mix, as I am too lazy to make my own mix and I can't buy many flours in bulk at the moment.)
Just over a cup of white sugar (1 and 1/8 cup)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Just over a 1/4 tsp salt (its like 3/8 tsp)
two eggs
3 tbs butter melted.
A dash of vanilla

Preheat oven to 375.

I start by melting the butter in a bowl in the microwave (or however you choose to do it.) And while that is melting I combine the flour, white sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Mix those dry ingredients together. Then when the butter is melted, I crack the two eggs into the melted butter and then put a dash of vanilla in with egg and butter. Beat nicely with a whisk. Dispense egg mixture into flour mixture, and mix well. (I use my hands and a fork, but whatever works for you.)

Then I do the peeling and coring and slicing of apples (I do them last so they are less likely to brown). I put them in a bowl. Once those are done, I put in the sugar and nutmeg, and stir.

Once the apples are mixed I put them in a 9x13 pan. Then I use my hands to sprinkle the flour mixture on top. Put in the oven and cook 30-40 mins or until top is golden brown.

Yum! Not bad for a 2 square foot kitchen! I have been wanting to do something like this but too lazy to try to figure it out myself.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

Rowena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

hahaha, you wouldn't believe some of the things I have pulled off in my tiny kitchen (oh yeah, like my thanksgiving dinner I made... I am still in shock how I pulled that off)

Seriously though, it is a delicious recipe, and I highly recommend trying it. It really is simple for lazy folk like myself... Posted Image

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: