12 replies to this topic

#1 Rowena

Rowena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

Errr... I know this is a really dumb question, but my work has a Subway. And I love Subway. But I was wondering, has anyone attempted a salad? I don't think it would be a good idea, because I know they don't change gloves or anything, and I have been poisoned by tuna appearing in my sandwiches before, so I am already wary of cc there anyway...

Input?

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

I would think that it's not a good idea to eat there. They touch bread and then touch all of the toppings. These are the same toppings that would be in your salad.
Could you bring a salad from home in a container? I like to bring lettuce and tomato in a container and bring some leftover taco meat and eat it with corn chips. That makes for a great lunch.

#3 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Back in the day I worked at Subway (pre gluten-free) and nothing than was considered safe in eating gluten free. Maybe things have changed, but nothing was kept seperate, and CC was an issue. I would not try it. The workers wear gloves, but they handle all the bread and toppings and meat / cheese all with the same gloves.

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

Last time I got a salad at Subway there were breadcrumbs mixed in with the shredded cheese. Never again.

#5 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

Even if they change gloves, they drag the bread in front of all the veggies/toppings. Any crumbs can fall into the veggies your salad is made from. I watched how they made my kids subs and I made a note to never eat at Subway.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#6 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

I worked at Subway back in High School and I know that there were always bread crumbs in the veggies, meat and cheese. It's not really something we could control, it just happens when you're dealing with a lot of bread, having to bake and cut it. I would never eat at Subway, knowing this, but gosh, do I sure crave it all the time :(
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#7 ChickensDon'tClap

ChickensDon'tClap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

I eat a salad at Subway at least once a week, and I never had any problems. I guess I was lucky! Now that I think about it though, CC could really be a problem.
Valerie

#8 GF BRO

GF BRO

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

SO. MUCH. BREAD. The appeal of a quick Subway salad is great, however, all of the bread there is too scary for me.

#9 Kris10again

Kris10again

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

NEW G.FREE MENU incl. BREAD at SUBWAY
I am so happy! Heard about subway's in DFW area having new gluten free bread so ran into our local Subway and asked and she said yes and started changing her gloves. I said, Thanks I'll be back. Came back and ordered some gluten-free sanwiches and some not gluten-free. Both people working there changed their gloves and got new knives in between. Used special pre-packaged bread, put on special butcher block paper, double checked things I asked for were on the G.Free menu, they even looked at each other like....New Gloves....Check....New Knife...Check....as if they were saying this is what we practiced for now lets put it into play...they even wrapped them up and put the G.Free and the non G.Free in seperate bags to go. I made special attention to see if any bread crumbs had fallen into the bins...and no evidence of any...I was really impressed with their commitment to eliminate cross contamination.....they even had G.Free Packaged brownies. Both gluten-free Bread and Brownies were DELICIOUS! I think they may be just testing it....and so hopefully all you gluten-free people will go try it out so that they will keep the G.Free menu and bread. Best gluten-free bread and brownie I ever had. One negative...gluten-free bread is in shape of Kaizer roll so don't wast your time figuring out what size you want. :-)

#10 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

I'm dying to try a sandwich there, but am reluctant to go at lunch when there's a line and it's usually crowded. I'm very comfortable being a Celiac for over 4 years, but still think I might feel a little too much on display doing that.

I have tried the $2 gluten-free brownies though. Very tasty. Crispy on the outside and fudgy on the inside. They are individually wrapped of course, in a display box by the cashier.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#11 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

even with them changing gloves I would still worry about the gluten gloves that touched the food items - lettuce, meat, tomatoes - first. Seems that they could leave crumbs behind.

#12 compucajun

compucajun

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

I've eaten the salads twice with no issues. I asked them to change gloves, and they did with no problems. I did look on-line to check out which dressings were gluten-free. May be I was just lucky?

#13 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

I got hubby a salad from Subway and had them add meat to it. They put on new gloves and put down foil to make up the salad for me. Hubby did not react.

I do have to say that he is not very sensitive. He accidentally ate the regular bread at Biaggi's, and nothing happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: