21 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

So I am wanting to make some chili cheese dip with Velveeta. Is Velveeta gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

Isn't that a Kraft product? Kraft labels all the important (gluten) allergens clearly.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:20 AM

Isn't that a Kraft product? Kraft labels all the important (gluten) allergens clearly.

I have no idea who makes it. I'll have to check it at the store. I was just making my list and wondering if anyone knew. :)

#4 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Velveeta is made by Kraft (who clearly labels all sources of gluten) and YES! Velveeta is gluten free :)
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#5 colorado1850

colorado1850

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

As was pointed out before Kraft clearly labels all gluten containing ingredients in the ingredient list. Bookmark this link for future reference and you can check Kraft products easily! Kraft Products

Jim Shirley
James L. Shirley

#6 yvettelynn

yvettelynn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

As was pointed out before Kraft clearly labels all gluten containing ingredients in the ingredient list. Bookmark this link for future reference and you can check Kraft products easily! Kraft Products

Jim Shirley

what is it with you people?!! She asked a question and does not need to be answered back with replies like " CLEARLY" !! Why cant you just state here is a book mark to the link, instead of making some of us feel like we should know all of ingredients which may or may not contain gluten, especially since we might be new to this and seeking information.

#7 yvettelynn

yvettelynn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have no idea who makes it. I'll have to check it at the store. I was just making my list and wondering if anyone knew. smile.gif

I was seeking the same information as you and came across this forum and was surprised to see the responses being so rude, especially since some of us are new to this and just seeking information.... but "CLEARLY" we should have a clue to all this!! :) 

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I was seeking the same information as you and came across this forum and was surprised to see the responses being so rude, especially since some of us are new to this and just seeking information.... but "CLEARLY" we should have a clue to all this!! :)

First. What was so rude about asking if it was a Kraft product and telling her if it was, they will label well? I have since found out that Velveeta does appear to be gluten-free. I told her that Kraft labels clearly.

Second- this conversation was over 2 years ago. Why do you want to turn it into a fight with me at this point?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

what is it with you people?!! She asked a question and does not need to be answered back with replies like " CLEARLY" !! Why cant you just state here is a book mark to the link, instead of making some of us feel like we should know all of ingredients which may or may not contain gluten, especially since we might be new to this and seeking information.

What "CLEARLY" means in this case is that Kraft (among several other big food companies) will clearly list gluten in the ingredients by naming the grain in question. If you don't see wheat, barley, rye or oats listed by those names, then the product contains no gluten. Indeed, if you telephone Kraft, they will give you the same answer that was given here: "Read the label. Gluten will be listed."

And yes, Velveeta is gluten-free.

Edited by psawyer, 13 April 2013 - 09:01 AM.
Karen and I were typing at the same time.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

I was seeking the same information as you and came across this forum and was surprised to see the responses being so rude, especially since some of us are new to this and just seeking information.... but "CLEARLY" we should have a clue to all this!! :)

Hon, you're totally misreading the sentences people have written and misinterpreting a "tone" that isn't even there..

The word clearly (when used an an adverb) just means "plainly and obviously" indicated...as in "wheat will be clearly stated on the label"..

Take a deep breath and read the replies again. No one is being rude here. Honest!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 yvettelynn

yvettelynn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

I do not want to turn this into a fight and yes I know this was over 2 years ago, however, I was wondering the same thing about Velvetta cheese and this is were the link brought me to and I just surprised  at the response.  This is new to some of us and can be confusing at first, so sometimes its easier to get on line and ask for now until we get more familiar with the products and ingredients....   

First. What was so rude about asking if it was a Kraft product and telling her if it was, they will label well? I have since found out that Velveeta does appear to be gluten-free. I told her that Kraft labels clearly.

Second- this conversation was over 2 years ago. Why do you want to turn it into a fight with me at this point?

#12 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

YvetteLynn (love your name, by the way - I have a beloved cousin by the same name) What was said was this: "Kraft clearly labels all gluten containing ingredients". The "clearly" is just a way to kind of praise Kraft because they ARE so clear in their labelling. There are other companies who will only declare wheat because it is one of the top eight allergens, but not barley or rye because the law doesn't make them.

And the "as was pointed out before" was simply stating that the topic of Kraft's labeling policy had been discussed recently (as of two years ago). But if you still don't like Colorado1850's tone, notice that he only made 3 posts since joining two years ago and is long gone.

Don't let a misunderstanding chase you away. This is the most supportive and knowledgable group of people you will ever find, when it comes to celiac, and also on other topics too. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#13 yvettelynn

yvettelynn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thank you :)

YvetteLynn (love your name, by the way - I have a beloved cousin by the same name) What was said was this: "Kraft clearly labels all gluten containing ingredients". The "clearly" is just a way to kind of praise Kraft because they ARE so clear in their labelling. There are other companies who will only declare wheat because it is one of the top eight allergens, but not barley or rye because the law doesn't make them.

And the "as was pointed out before" was simply stating that the topic of Kraft's labeling policy had been discussed recently (as of two years ago). But if you still don't like Colorado1850's tone, notice that he only made 3 posts since joining two years ago and is long gone.

Don't let a misunderstanding chase you away. This is the most supportive and knowledgable group of people you will ever find, when it comes to celiac, and also on other topics too. :)

#14 yvettelynn

yvettelynn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Thanks ;)

What "CLEARLY" means in this case is that Kraft (among several other big food companies) will clearly list gluten in the ingredients by naming the grain in question. If you don't see wheat, barley, rye or oats listed by those names, then the product contains no gluten. Indeed, if you telephone Kraft, they will give you the same answer that was given here: "Read the label. Gluten will be listed."

And yes, Velveeta is gluten-free.

#15 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

I do not want to turn this into a fight and yes I know this was over 2 years ago, however, I was wondering the same thing about Velvetta cheese and this is were the link brought me to and I just surprised at the response. This is new to some of us and can be confusing at first, so sometimes its easier to get on line and ask for now until we get more familiar with the products and ingredients....

I had not used this product lately but thought it was a Kraft product. I gave Mo some info so that, in the future, she could find out for herself if a product contained gluten. I thought that would be helpful to her - to teach her how to find this info for herself. I told her that Kraft is very clear about what contains gluten by labeling it in an easy to understand manner. Others re- enforced that.

By the way - Mo did not find my answer rude.

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: