This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Velveeta

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

So I am wanting to make some chili cheese dip with Velveeta. Is Velveeta gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Isn't that a Kraft product? Kraft labels all the important (gluten) allergens clearly.

GFreeMO Proficient

Isn't that a Kraft product? Kraft labels all the important (gluten) allergens clearly.

I have no idea who makes it. I'll have to check it at the store. I was just making my list and wondering if anyone knew. :)

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Velveeta is made by Kraft (who clearly labels all sources of gluten) and YES! Velveeta is gluten free :)

colorado1850 Newbie

As was pointed out before Kraft clearly labels all gluten containing ingredients in the ingredient list. Bookmark this link for future reference and you can check Kraft products easily! Open Original Shared Link

Jim Shirley

• 2 years later...
yvettelynn Newbie

As was pointed out before Kraft clearly labels all gluten containing ingredients in the ingredient list. Bookmark this link for future reference and you can check Kraft products easily! Open Original Shared Link

Jim Shirley

what is it with you people?!! She asked a question and does not need to be answered back with replies like " CLEARLY" !! Why cant you just state here is a book mark to the link, instead of making some of us feel like we should know all of ingredients which may or may not contain gluten, especially since we might be new to this and seeking information.

yvettelynn Newbie

I have no idea who makes it. I'll have to check it at the store. I was just making my list and wondering if anyone knew. smile.gif

I was seeking the same information as you and came across this forum and was surprised to see the responses being so rude, especially since some of us are new to this and just seeking information.... but "CLEARLY" we should have a clue to all this!! :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I was seeking the same information as you and came across this forum and was surprised to see the responses being so rude, especially since some of us are new to this and just seeking information.... but "CLEARLY" we should have a clue to all this!! :)

First. What was so rude about asking if it was a Kraft product and telling her if it was, they will label well? I have since found out that Velveeta does appear to be gluten-free. I told her that Kraft labels clearly.

Second- this conversation was over 2 years ago. Why do you want to turn it into a fight with me at this point?

psawyer Proficient

what is it with you people?!! She asked a question and does not need to be answered back with replies like " CLEARLY" !! Why cant you just state here is a book mark to the link, instead of making some of us feel like we should know all of ingredients which may or may not contain gluten, especially since we might be new to this and seeking information.

What "CLEARLY" means in this case is that Kraft (among several other big food companies) will clearly list gluten in the ingredients by naming the grain in question. If you don't see wheat, barley, rye or oats listed by those names, then the product contains no gluten. Indeed, if you telephone Kraft, they will give you the same answer that was given here: "Read the label. Gluten will be listed."

And yes, Velveeta is gluten-free.

IrishHeart Veteran

I was seeking the same information as you and came across this forum and was surprised to see the responses being so rude, especially since some of us are new to this and just seeking information.... but "CLEARLY" we should have a clue to all this!! :)

Hon, you're totally misreading the sentences people have written and misinterpreting a "tone" that isn't even there..

The word clearly (when used an an adverb) just means "plainly and obviously" indicated...as in "wheat will be clearly stated on the label"..

Take a deep breath and read the replies again. No one is being rude here. Honest!! :)

yvettelynn Newbie

I do not want to turn this into a fight and yes I know this was over 2 years ago, however, I was wondering the same thing about Velvetta cheese and this is were the link brought me to and I just surprised  at the response.  This is new to some of us and can be confusing at first, so sometimes its easier to get on line and ask for now until we get more familiar with the products and ingredients....   

First. What was so rude about asking if it was a Kraft product and telling her if it was, they will label well? I have since found out that Velveeta does appear to be gluten-free. I told her that Kraft labels clearly.

Second- this conversation was over 2 years ago. Why do you want to turn it into a fight with me at this point?

bartfull Rising Star

YvetteLynn (love your name, by the way - I have a beloved cousin by the same name) What was said was this: "Kraft clearly labels all gluten containing ingredients". The "clearly" is just a way to kind of praise Kraft because they ARE so clear in their labelling. There are other companies who will only declare wheat because it is one of the top eight allergens, but not barley or rye because the law doesn't make them.

And the "as was pointed out before" was simply stating that the topic of Kraft's labeling policy had been discussed recently (as of two years ago). But if you still don't like Colorado1850's tone, notice that he only made 3 posts since joining two years ago and is long gone.

Don't let a misunderstanding chase you away. This is the most supportive and knowledgable group of people you will ever find, when it comes to celiac, and also on other topics too. :)

yvettelynn Newbie

Thank you :)

YvetteLynn (love your name, by the way - I have a beloved cousin by the same name) What was said was this: "Kraft clearly labels all gluten containing ingredients". The "clearly" is just a way to kind of praise Kraft because they ARE so clear in their labelling. There are other companies who will only declare wheat because it is one of the top eight allergens, but not barley or rye because the law doesn't make them.

And the "as was pointed out before" was simply stating that the topic of Kraft's labeling policy had been discussed recently (as of two years ago). But if you still don't like Colorado1850's tone, notice that he only made 3 posts since joining two years ago and is long gone.

Don't let a misunderstanding chase you away. This is the most supportive and knowledgable group of people you will ever find, when it comes to celiac, and also on other topics too. :)

yvettelynn Newbie

Thanks ;)

What "CLEARLY" means in this case is that Kraft (among several other big food companies) will clearly list gluten in the ingredients by naming the grain in question. If you don't see wheat, barley, rye or oats listed by those names, then the product contains no gluten. Indeed, if you telephone Kraft, they will give you the same answer that was given here: "Read the label. Gluten will be listed."

And yes, Velveeta is gluten-free.

kareng Grand Master

I do not want to turn this into a fight and yes I know this was over 2 years ago, however, I was wondering the same thing about Velvetta cheese and this is were the link brought me to and I just surprised at the response. This is new to some of us and can be confusing at first, so sometimes its easier to get on line and ask for now until we get more familiar with the products and ingredients....

I had not used this product lately but thought it was a Kraft product. I gave Mo some info so that, in the future, she could find out for herself if a product contained gluten. I thought that would be helpful to her - to teach her how to find this info for herself. I told her that Kraft is very clear about what contains gluten by labeling it in an easy to understand manner. Others re- enforced that.

By the way - Mo did not find my answer rude.

Juliebove Rising Star

You are coming across as being rude to me.  And since you are new...  There is no one pat answer that will work for all things.  Sometimes an item can be gluten-free but then they change the formulation and it no longer is.  Not all things can be answered with "yes" or "no".  But in this case they can.

• 4 months later...
genni Newbie

Ha ha I was searching the same thing, because I am at work without the box and am super new..  Now that I look back I see a smiley face..  But I though the same thing..  That's the thing with emails texts and forums..  I get in the most fights with my husband because we take things wrong sometimes.  :)  Have a super Day!  Super excited to find this out. 

kareng Grand Master

Ha ha I was searching the same thing, because I am at work without the box and am super new..  Now that I look back I see a smiley face..  But I though the same thing..  That's the thing with emails texts and forums..  I get in the most fights with my husband because we take things wrong sometimes.  :)  Have a super Day!  Super excited to find this out.

To rephrase this: Kraft has an excellent ingredient labeling policy. They label all gluten ingredients clearly as in no odd names . There ingredients will say malt ( barley). Or some other clear and easy to read and understand text.

psawyer Proficient

Kraft will not hide gluten. Read the label. If it is not clearly listed on the label, it is not in the food.

mbrookes Community Regular

Some people seem to be extremely thin skinned. I have hardly ever seen a rude reply on this site, and then it was usually due to a misunderstanding. I find the people on this site to be among the most sincerely helpful anywhere.

• 5 months later...
Sailor.O.A.I.Jupiter Newbie

Ok as a new member to this site and to the gluten free living I thought this should help bury the hatchet and the question. I came to this site as a quick answer for an already overwhelming life decision.

So for all of those like me here are the ingredients for the Velveeta cheese sauce: Whey, Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Milk Protein Concentrate, Salt, less than 2% of Sodium phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Milkfat, Lactic acid, sodium alginate, Sorbic acid as a preservative, paprika and annatto extract (for color), cheese culture, enzymes, natural flavors.  This comes directly from the box. For the nutritional facts via online here is the link: Open Original Shared Link

My question was about the whey protein, which as far as my searches can tell you honestly have to use your own discretion. best answer to that question I could find is this:  Open Original Shared Link

I thought this was a site to help, so in that spirit I posted this like three to four years after the original question. 

kareng Grand Master

Ok as a new member to this site and to the gluten free living I thought this should help bury the hatchet and the question. I came to this site as a quick answer for an already overwhelming life decision.

So for all of those like me here are the ingredients for the Velveeta cheese sauce: Whey, Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Milk Protein Concentrate, Salt, less than 2% of Sodium phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Milkfat, Lactic acid, sodium alginate, Sorbic acid as a preservative, paprika and annatto extract (for color), cheese culture, enzymes, natural flavors.  This comes directly from the box. For the nutritional facts via online here is the link: Open Original Shared Link

My question was about the whey protein, which as far as my searches can tell you honestly have to use your own discretion. best answer to that question I could find is this:  Open Original Shared Link

I thought this was a site to help, so in that spirit I posted this like three to four years after the original question.

yeah. That was some odd mis- understanding of the use of the word " clearly"! :)

Velveeta is gluten free. Many of us use it with no problems. Kraft will label if an ingredient is derived from wheat, rye or barley. Thus, the Kraft labels " clearly" statement.

• 1 year later...
CharlieGirl Newbie

I do not find it all that clear.  I just read my husband's new package of Velveeta cheese (mozzarella type) and one of the ingredients is "Modified Food Starch".  I have learned through not-so pleasant experience that this can mean that the "modified" starch DOES contain gluten, so clarity is out the window.  What would be helpful...and clear...is if Kraft would stamp the product as Gluten Free.  For me, the risk is too much and I won't be eating it as long as "Modified Food Starch" is in the list.

bartfull Rising Star

If any Kraft product has gluten, either as an ingredient or used in processing, it will say so on the label. Kraft even goes so far that if they process gluten ingredients on the same line  or facility, they will tell you. Kraft is a VERY trustworthy company. They are the good guys. I wish all companies had their policy.

As far as modified food starch, it is almost always from corn because corn is cheaper by far than wheat. If you find a product that has this ingredient, instead of ruling it out, contact the company.

Gemini Experienced
34 minutes ago, CharlieGirl said:

I do not find it all that clear.  I just read my husband's new package of Velveeta cheese (mozzarella type) and one of the ingredients is "Modified Food Starch".  I have learned through not-so pleasant experience that this can mean that the "modified" starch DOES contain gluten, so clarity is out the window.  What would be helpful...and clear...is if Kraft would stamp the product as Gluten Free.  For me, the risk is too much and I won't be eating it as long as "Modified Food Starch" is in the list.

It is recommended that all those new to Celiac invest in one of the many great books out there, written by nutritionists or medical professionals that teach about label reading.  Many companies will not put the easy gluten free stamp on their products, even though they are gluten-free, due to the sue happy people who exist today. Can't say that I blame them.

Modified food starch is gluten free unless labeled like this: modified food starch (wheat).  If there is wheat in the product, it must be declared and that is how it would appear on a label.  Most food starch is made from corn, at least in the US.  I have never been glutened by food starch and I have been gluten-free for 10 years.  The only time I have seen wheat labeled with it was on food products from Europe.

Archived