This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Your Opnions

Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I have a little dilema i am newly on the diet but starting to get the hang of it.In a sad turn of events my husbands grandmother passed away yest:(However the wake is tom and then the funeral on fri now i know that after the funeral everyone will prob go somewhere to eat.My question to you guys is how do i stay safe and not be pushy about my diet at a time like this,since i have no control where they may be going.I dont want to make my diet a big deal at a time like this even though my inlaws are very understanding,i just get nervous when put in these situations.Its not like i can say oh ill just eat home i have to be there for my husband.Thanx for listening guys xoxo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Sorry to hear of your loss. If you are able, pack some things in a cooler. That would probably be your best bet.

lovegrov Collaborator

Taking something with you will probably be difficult in this situation so you could settle for something simple and relatively safe like a salad with oil and vinegar or maybe Italian. Other relatively safe items include plain steak or shrimp broiled or steamed.

richard

kareng Grand Master

Just bring some food. Don't fuss. Just take it out when everyone else is eating. You could skip the restuarant if there is a chore you could help with like distributing flowers or going back to the house and cleaning up or whatever.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you everyone, i would feel almost out of place bringing my own food in this type of situation.I guess i will order something plain and mention to them my condition on the dl.I have to be there it just wouldnt be right...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

thank you everyone, i would feel almost out of place bringing my own food in this type of situation.I guess i will order something plain and mention to them my condition on the dl.I have to be there it just wouldnt be right...

Sorry for your loss. This will be a tough time for your family and they likely wouldn't be concentrating on what you are or are not eating. Celiac is nothing to be ashamed of and if bringing your own food will keep you safe then it shouldn't be an issue. However if you are really uncomfortable bringing something safe to the restaurant you could eat something safe before you go and then just order a plain salad if you feel you have to eat something with the group.

rainer83 Newbie

Sorry to hear about your loss, my condolences.

In situations like that, bring some snack foods that will tide you over. Eat an apple and/or banana, they're both proven to tide hunger over just as much as a small meal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

would it be to much of a risk ordering a plane meat and potato and tell them to make sure everything is clean and explain my condtiion if i pulll the manager aside???of course ill bring a snack i just think it would be nice to eat with the famiky u kno?

srall Contributor

I'm sorry for your loss. If you can't eat ahead of time or pack your own food, I hope you are able to order something safe. I have found that I've become very good at just being hungry when it's not safe for me to eat. I've said to my husband, hunger is so much better than risking being sick. I always have cashews in my purse. I'd probably do some cut up veggies and fruit too. Certainly not a meal, but maybe something to get you through.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

For my body, it would be a risk at many restaraunts. Any time there is a large table of people, or during lunch/dinner rush, the kitchen gets busy and mistakes are more likely to happen. I am very sensitive to CC and seem to be unable to manage meals that others might be fine with.

I would take my own meal into the restaraunt in a small container. In a situation where didn't have much control over the timing of the outing, I would probably take canned food that I wouldn't mind eating cold. At minimum, I would take the dish into the restaraunt in my purse along with a snack and see how busy or safe the restaraunt felt. Then I could decide to order or eat my own meal without feeling hungry.

As a bonus to eating your own meal, maybe a cousin will ask why you are eating your own meal, learn about celiac, and go get tested.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

Well maybe they will choose a place that actually had a gluten-free menu and i will get lucky:)the funeral start at 745 am so it will be hard to bring anything thats hot but i will try to atleast eat my breakfast first then take it from there thank you all for your time to answer my post xoxox

rockectman Rookie

meat, salads and veggies......usually pretty safe bet.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

i love all 3:)

jenngolightly Contributor

Well maybe they will choose a place that actually had a gluten-free menu and i will get lucky:)the funeral start at 745 am so it will be hard to bring anything thats hot but i will try to atleast eat my breakfast first then take it from there thank you all for your time to answer my post xoxox

This is what I do in a situation like yours. I hang back when the party is seated. I talk to the hostess/host and ask if they have a gluten-free menu. If yes- yippee! If not, go to the table and when the waiter is taking drink orders and comes to you, tell him, "Oh, and when you're done with the drinks I need to talk to you about my food allergies." Very casually and without making a fuss - as if you do it all the time (fairly soon you will be!). Then he's prepared to spend a bit of time with you. It's low key and you aren't holding up everyone else's order.

Most restaurants already know all about Celiac/gluten intolerance. Just tell the waiter that you have Celiac (but I always say that I'm "allergic" to wheat, rye, and barley because their ears perk up at the word allergic). Tell him that you'd like the _________ (salad, meat, xxx), but you want to make sure that it doesn't have wheat, rye, or barley. He'll either go back to the kitchen to ask the chef about what you ordered, or tell you that he'll take care of it.

Just make sure the salad dressing is gluten-free! Lots of dressings aren't, so pay particular attention and ask him if he's sure it's gluten-free. Or go with plain oil and vinegar if you don't want to make a fuss. No croutons! But again, most restaurants are pretty used to this kind of thing. If it comes with croutons, don't pick them off. Order a new salad. When I was new to Celiac, I bought individual gluten-free salad dressing packets and kept them in my bag for when I ate at restaurants. That way I didn't have to worry about the salad dressings at the restaurant. I only had to worry about croutons. I got them at Sprouts (similar to Whole Foods).

Relax and enjoy the time you spend with relatives. It's a somber event, but often brings up joyful memories. It won't be a big deal at the restaurant if you are prepared for what to say to the waiter.

And, by the way, Lara bars are a great snack to keep in your purse at all times! Kinda pricey, but they've gotten me through ravenous hunger. Our Costco has them, and my local Kroger store, Whole Foods... lots of flavors, too. Mostly they have nuts and dates and berries that come together as a dense granola-type bar. I love the peanut butter cookie flavor.

meat, salads and veggies......usually pretty safe bet.

Be careful about meat. It's often marinated in gluten. Ask about this.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

Jen thank you soo much for your helpful and informative post:) I agree your approach is exactly what i will do,you def have the right idea.As for salad dressing ususally brig my own bulky bottle but i love your idea about the packets im going to check my whole foods next time i go:) Also can i add in addition to larabars what i seem to like even better and give meTONS of energy are KIND BARS omgggg to die forrrr if you like nuts that is:) thanx again xoxoxo

For my body, it would be a risk at many restaraunts. Any time there is a large table of people, or during lunch/dinner rush, the kitchen gets busy and mistakes are more likely to happen. I am very sensitive to CC and seem to be unable to manage meals that others might be fine with.

I would take my own meal into the restaraunt in a small container. In a situation where didn't have much control over the timing of the outing, I would probably take canned food that I wouldn't mind eating cold. At minimum, I would take the dish into the restaraunt in my purse along with a snack and see how busy or safe the restaraunt felt. Then I could decide to order or eat my own meal without feeling hungry.

As a bonus to eating your own meal, maybe a cousin will ask why you are eating your own meal, learn about celiac, and go get tested.

I've taken my own food many times. I'll ask the waiter for a plate, and discretely put my own food on the plate when everyone else's food has arrived. Most people never notice that it's my own food. My suggestion is that you warn the waiter that you're going to do this and why. Most places are cool about it, but you don't want to make a scene when a manager comes over to grill you about why you aren't eating their food.

Skylark Collaborator

Sorry for your loss. Your husband must be pretty upset.

I eat a tossed salad with oil and vinegar in a restaurant where I am uncertain about the rest of the food. Sometimes you can get a baked potato or a completely plain piece of chicken breast or fish. If it's an Oriental restaurant, I get plain rice and plain steamed veggies. At chains, I ask for the allergy information and look for foods without wheat. (Often salad!)

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thanx skylark yes he is very upset as well as myself,grandmas are special people:)

MelindaLee Contributor

Sorry about the loss. It's very wonderful of you to be concerned about being there for your husband. I would suggest and once drinks are ordered, excuse yourself and go talk to the manager or waiter. Then you don't have to feel like its a big deal. I still feel uncomfortable having to ask for special accodations, so doing it away from the group is easier for me. We had a birthday celebration at a buffet restaurant. I knew that wouldn't work for me, so I got there ahead of time and talked with the server. It worked great! Good food and it was no big deal because I could talk to them in private. ♥ to you and your family!

cap6 Enthusiast

I often tuck some tuna or turkey burger on gluten-free bread in my purse. Then I order a plain salad with oil & vinegar dressing and have my sandwich on the side. It's a meal - not the best but it works in a crunch.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you everyone:)

Archived