21 replies to this topic

#16 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

Jen thank you soo much for your helpful and informative post:) I agree your approach is exactly what i will do,you def have the right idea.As for salad dressing ususally brig my own bulky bottle but i love your idea about the packets im going to check my whole foods next time i go:) Also can i add in addition to larabars what i seem to like even better and give meTONS of energy are KIND BARS omgggg to die forrrr if you like nuts that is:) thanx again xoxoxo
Melissa
9/10 Diagnosed celiac via bloodwork/endo
9/10 Gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

For my body, it would be a risk at many restaraunts. Any time there is a large table of people, or during lunch/dinner rush, the kitchen gets busy and mistakes are more likely to happen. I am very sensitive to CC and seem to be unable to manage meals that others might be fine with.

I would take my own meal into the restaraunt in a small container. In a situation where didn't have much control over the timing of the outing, I would probably take canned food that I wouldn't mind eating cold. At minimum, I would take the dish into the restaraunt in my purse along with a snack and see how busy or safe the restaraunt felt. Then I could decide to order or eat my own meal without feeling hungry.

As a bonus to eating your own meal, maybe a cousin will ask why you are eating your own meal, learn about celiac, and go get tested.

I've taken my own food many times. I'll ask the waiter for a plate, and discretely put my own food on the plate when everyone else's food has arrived. Most people never notice that it's my own food. My suggestion is that you warn the waiter that you're going to do this and why. Most places are cool about it, but you don't want to make a scene when a manager comes over to grill you about why you aren't eating their food.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#18 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

Sorry for your loss. Your husband must be pretty upset.

I eat a tossed salad with oil and vinegar in a restaurant where I am uncertain about the rest of the food. Sometimes you can get a baked potato or a completely plain piece of chicken breast or fish. If it's an Oriental restaurant, I get plain rice and plain steamed veggies. At chains, I ask for the allergy information and look for foods without wheat. (Often salad!)

#19 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

thanx skylark yes he is very upset as well as myself,grandmas are special people:)
Melissa
9/10 Gluten free

#20 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

Sorry about the loss. It's very wonderful of you to be concerned about being there for your husband. I would suggest and once drinks are ordered, excuse yourself and go talk to the manager or waiter. Then you don't have to feel like its a big deal. I still feel uncomfortable having to ask for special accodations, so doing it away from the group is easier for me. We had a birthday celebration at a buffet restaurant. I knew that wouldn't work for me, so I got there ahead of time and talked with the server. It worked great! Good food and it was no big deal because I could talk to them in private. ♥ to you and your family!

#21 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

I often tuck some tuna or turkey burger on gluten-free bread in my purse. Then I order a plain salad with oil & vinegar dressing and have my sandwich on the side. It's a meal - not the best but it works in a crunch.

#22 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

thank you everyone:)
Melissa
9/10 Gluten free

0 user(s) are reading this topic