This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gross Cookies!

momtok&m

momtok&m Explorer

I just mixed up a batch of Snickerdoodles, got the dough in the fridge and then DD1 and I licked the beaters to "make sure it tastes ok"! Well, surprise, it's GROSS :blink: !!! I have never had this happen before. I ran out of my homemade flour mix so I used Bob's Rd Mill gluten-free All Purpose Baking Flour instead. Am I crazy or did that mix make my cookie dough taste like fish?! I used it once before and didn't like the results but I'm pretty sure it was just a bad recipe (pizza crust I think). So, who uses this mix and what for? I used the last of it and most likely won't buy it again but I'm curious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I've never noticed that it tastes like fish but after the egg scare, I no longer taste raw dough. Does it taste too "beany"? If so, that's probably why you didn't like it. Did you bake the cookies and see how they taste?

It's not my favorite flour and I really prefer to use separate flours and mix my own.

momtok&m Explorer

We have chickens so the eggs were safe :) I'm thinking it's the bean flours, that must be the way I taste it. I'm going to bake a test batch in a little while, I'm hoping they're okay!

sa1937 Community Regular

They may taste better baked...hopefully! But that still doesn't mean you'll like them or use that flour again.

Roda Rising Star

I just mixed up a batch of Snickerdoodles, got the dough in the fridge and then DD1 and I licked the beaters to "make sure it tastes ok"! Well, surprise, it's GROSS :blink: !!! I have never had this happen before. I ran out of my homemade flour mix so I used Bob's Rd Mill gluten-free All Purpose Baking Flour instead. Am I crazy or did that mix make my cookie dough taste like fish?! I used it once before and didn't like the results but I'm pretty sure it was just a bad recipe (pizza crust I think). So, who uses this mix and what for? I used the last of it and most likely won't buy it again but I'm curious.

I don't like Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose baking flour at all. It has bean flours mixed in and some people do not like the smell and flavor bean flours impart. It is also possible the flour was rancid. I'd say it was the flour.

Christi1996 Newbie

I haven't used that mix but I did do the black bean brownies in Living Without using bean flour (garbonzo) and then another batch with sorghum. The bean flour batter smelled absolutely beyond awful. I was making a back to back batch and wouldn't have cleaned the food processor between but the bena flour batter smelled so bad, I didn't think we would be able to eat it.

After it baked though, it smelled just fine and tasted great. My daughter and I couldn't taste much difference between the two batches, and my husband (who doesn't have to eat gluten-free) prefered the bean flour. He said it was a little sweeter.

But the way the batter smelled I would have thought the bean flour batch would go in the trash.

So your cookies may be great after baking.

momtok&m Explorer

DD1 & 2 loved the cookies, DH thought they were good as well. I hated them-no more bean flours here! Then again, I'm pregnant, plus my sense of smell has always been more sensitive then most. I can tell the recipe was awesome so I can't wait to try again with my own flour mix!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Bob's All Purpose has a lot of garbanzo bean flour in the mix. I'm not fond of the flavor.

Philippa Rookie

DD1 & 2 loved the cookies, DH thought they were good as well. I hated them-no more bean flours here! Then again, I'm pregnant, plus my sense of smell has always been more sensitive then most. I can tell the recipe was awesome so I can't wait to try again with my own flour mix!

I find the bean flour taste really strong. When I first started baking gluten-free I used Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free flour and I didn't like the taste of anything. Oddly enough all three of my kids and my DH didn't notice anything bad about the taste at all. I think some people are more sensitive to the bean flour taste. I never thought of myself as having sensitive taste buds.

I make my own gluten-free flour mixes now. You can find lots of recipes on the internet. I usually use brown rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato starch for things like cookies.

Archived