12 replies to this topic

#1 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

So my Dad complained to the manager of foods at wal-mart about the lack of gluten free foods and this is how he cold me the convo went:

My Dad (MD): Why does the one thing in this store that is supposedly gluten-free have wheat in it?

Guy: People with gluten intolerance and celiac can still eat wheat, just not as much.

MD: Um, no. People with Celiac and GI aren't supposed to consume ANY wheat products at all

Guy: Listen, they can still eat it, and I can't do anything to help you. BYE.

*face palm*

My Dad talked to the manager of the whole store and he promised to look into gluten-free food if there is a profit in it :P

*SIGH* I am NOT holding my breath, and still plan on going 50 miles away to get food....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

I went to my local Wal Mart in Nevada because everyone had been telling me how they bought their gluten free food there - HA!!! Spent about 20 minutes, didn't see a single thing labelled gluten free, left. Period. Wouldn't even bother asking.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

The walmarts and targets in the OP,KS area have a little bit of pasta, a couple of cereals, and a few things. Sometimes they are all together by the baking stuff and some are just mixed in. HyVee has lots of gluten-free stuff. I think you told me you come to the area sometimes. You may just have to stock up.

Your dad might want to see if he can email walmart coporate and tell them about the manager's behavior being very rude. They might not sell enough there of gluten-free foods to stock them but he didn't have to be so rude.

When your in town, I have a Lab rescue dog you could practice walking. ( Cooper made me type that) :)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

The walmarts and targets in the OP,KS area have a little bit of pasta, a couple of cereals, and a few things. Sometimes they are all together by the baking stuff and some are just mixed in. HyVee has lots of gluten-free stuff. I think you told me you come to the area sometimes. You may just have to stock up.

Your dad might want to see if he can email walmart coporate and tell them about the manager's behavior being very rude. They might not sell enough there of gluten-free foods to stock them but he didn't have to be so rude.

When your in town, I have a Lab rescue dog you could practice walking. ( Cooper made me type that) :)

Whose Cooper? :)

I actually used to baby-sit a service lab :) I really miss him...

I'm in the town 50 miles away several times a week cause I go to school there :)

But I'll be in KC sometime soon (can't remember what date :P)

#5 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

I went to my local Wal Mart in Nevada because everyone had been telling me how they bought their gluten free food there - HA!!! Spent about 20 minutes, didn't see a single thing labelled gluten free, left. Period. Wouldn't even bother asking.

For reals right! I buy some naturally gluten-free stuff there, like pizza sauce, fruits, meats, etc. I love my gluten-free grocery app :)

#6 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

How rude!

For others that can't find gluten-free at their Wal-Mart...ours is very odd. There's a gluten-free section in the aisle that has jelly, PB, salad dressings and bulk food items. It's not huge, but it does have some good items (Tinkyada pasta, Annie's mac & cheese, a couple of Pamela's cookies varieties, etc.). In addition, there are frozen items, but they seem to move around frequently and it always takes me forever to find where they've hidden them. They're all Amy's products. THEN, there are some other pastas in the regular pasta section, Betty Crocker mixes in the cake mix aisle, and the Pamela's chocolate chunk cookies are in the regular cookie aisle. Why in the world some cookies appear in the gluten-free section and others in the regular, I'll never know. Same with the pasta. And it's not like they're trying to cover their bases and put them in both places in case people can't find them because they're completely different products.

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:42 PM

Whose Cooper? :)

I actually used to baby-sit a service lab :) I really miss him...

I'm in the town 50 miles away several times a week cause I go to school there :)

But I'll be in KC sometime soon (can't remember what date :P)

Cooper is the dog. He isn't a service dog cause he is afraid of loud noises. Loves visiting at the nursing home tho.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

I'm In Boise, Idaho, and at two of the Walmarts here, the gluten0free section is on the end of the baking isle. One thing I've noticed, though-- they sell a variety of Bob's Red Mill Products, including a few that are NOT gluten free...muesli being the one i remember seeing. It's not labeled gluten-free, of course, but I think it's put there 'cuase that's the only place they have ANY BRM products. I did complain to one of the stores about that, and also the fact that that particular store had no gluten-free cold cereals (which doesn't make sense to me! The other Walmart here does). I sent an email a couple months ago to the store. They called me back, as far as the BRM, they would look into it, but might not be able to do much (I think/ hope that if they can't move the non- gluten-free items, they might at least clearly label them or something). As far as the cereal, they said it was the corporate office that deicded which stores get what items. (uuummm yeah, I just *love* that someone clear across the country decides what is sold here...). I think they said they would try contacting the corporate office about that (I should do that tooo! Just dealing with other stuff right now...).
i haven't been back in that store to see if they have made any changes.
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#9 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

I shop at two local Wal-Mart supercenters, neither of which have a gluten-free aisle. I can buy Heartland gluten-free pasta, BC mixes (inc. gluten-free Bisquick), Chex cereals, Progresso soups, etc. And Amy's frozen foods (I don't go there!). Heck, they don't even carry Blue Diamond Nut Thins. So it must depend on the particular area you live.

Even in regular grocery stores here, gluten-free items are limited. Must be our small market area ??? Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#10 rainer83

rainer83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:37 AM

I won't hold my breath for Wal-mart. I don't go there as it is. When I was first diagnosed with celiacs, I was going to health food stores and paying an arm and a leg for my food, but didn't care. Wal-mart is too much about profit. I moved to a bigger city for college, and I struck gold cause the main grocery store I go to has a huge gluten free section.

I can't believe that guy said that though. Even I face palmed. I have a similar story though. On my way back to my hometown, there's an awesome gluten free bakery I stop at, it's right off the highway, and I went in to grab some bread and muffins, when I walked over to the freezer to get some gluten free lasagna, I hear these women say "I have no idea what the hell is wrong with people who eat gluten free. Why can't they eat normally and stop being picky?" I put my stuff down on the freezer that is clearly marked "GLUTEN FREE" and say "would you kindly move so I may get some gluten free lasagna so I avoid debilitating pain and intestinal cancer? Thanks." Needless to say they were pretty embarrassed by the fact I heard them. I told them to look up celiac disease and to be careful what they say around people.
Diagnosed by a Naturopath by an elimination diet, gluten free 2 years, finally able to live again after years of suffering.

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:58 AM

I just don't shop at China-mart myself. Other chains have variable stocks of gluten-free foods too. One Giant store here has a dedicated organic/health food section with lots of gluten-free items, but others have almost none. There are also Safeways stores that have nothing, but others that have some items. Plenty of other stores around here to go to though, so it is not a problem.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

The Walmart in Mankato where I go to school carries Ener-G bread, Enviro Kidz cereals, Bob's hot cereal and cake mixes and a decent assortment of other stuff. Someone thought it would be funny to place all of this in the same aisle as the Pop Tarts. However, the Walmart I go to sometimes in Stillwater has nothing, at least not that I've found (I've never been so inclined to check every aisle). I guess it balances out though: There are a number of co-ops and big grocery chains nearby around the Twin Cities now that carry gluten-free products while it's harder to come by in Mankato (Hyvee is the only other store you can really depend on for gluten-free brands).

#13 SilverSlipper

SilverSlipper

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

I live in a very rural area. There are three grocery stores - a discount store, a wal mart and a piggly wiggly. The Wal Mart is the only one to carry gluten-free stuff. They carry Pamela's choc chip cookies, one type of rice cracker (that I think is 'accidentally' gluten-free rather than deliberately purchased as a gluten-free item) and the Betty Crocker mixes. The nearest place to purchase gluten-free items (health food stores, whole foods, etc) is an hour away (one way). I go once a month to purchase Udi's, pizza crust, baguettes, etc. Otherwise, I shop amazon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: