FooGirlsMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hi,

Hoping you guys can help me out here!

So this morning I discovered Rice Dream is processed with barley, leaving it at 20ppm! I need another milk alternative and for some reason the Silk Almond milk gives me the big D. It might be that Silk is a major mfr of soy products and I've discovered soy gives me D too.

So help! I live in the western part of the US.

I'd like to try a rice or almond product. I seem to tolerate "So Delicious" coconut milk but it's 40 miles away at the Whole Foods store. It has to be stored in the 'fridge so that's only going to be a once a month purchase. I need a suggestion or two or three to try for daily use.

Thx guys

FooGirlsMom
When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

I know that many larger grocery stores here in the east have Pacific Foods Almond and Rice Milks. I've used them and they're very good.

Since the cartons are shelf stable until opened, you could also stock up on them when you do go to Whole Foods.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

i like almond milk and hemp milk :P

i think my almond milk is that pacific brand... and the hemp is teff something? both vanilla flavored & gluten-free
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

If you are just wanting something to use in coffee or tea, you can get canned coconut milk. The stuff is so intense, one can lasts me about a week. I pour it into another ceramic or glass container and store it in the refrigerator after I open it, spooning it out as needed. You can also blend a little of it into your cup with other gluten-free milk substitutes to give your cup of coffee or tea a bit more "creaminess."

Some of the more interesting things you can do with canned coconut milk is to cook with it, such as for pumpkin pudding or pie for holiday meals, or for Thai style soups mixed into chicken broth with some lime juice (it won't curdle), or for some curry sauces.

#5 emaegf

emaegf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

So Delicious has shelf stable Coconut Milk http://www.turtlemou..._Bev_Plain.html
It comes in Sweetened, Unsweetened and Vanilla. You can always ask your local market to get you some even the Whole Foods should have it when you go next trip.

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

When I can't get out to Whole Foods for the SoDelicious stuff, I get almond milk at Safeway. (I happen to use Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. Yummy stuff.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 CandyLady

CandyLady

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

You can buy So Delicious in the shelf-stable aseptic cartons online at navanfoods.com

#8 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

there are recipes online for homemade rice milk.
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#9 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

Hoping you guys can help me out here!

So this morning I discovered Rice Dream is processed with barley, leaving it at 20ppm! I need another milk alternative and for some reason the Silk Almond milk gives me the big D. It might be that Silk is a major mfr of soy products and I've discovered soy gives me D too.

So help! I live in the western part of the US.

I'd like to try a rice or almond product. I seem to tolerate "So Delicious" coconut milk but it's 40 miles away at the Whole Foods store. It has to be stored in the 'fridge so that's only going to be a once a month purchase. I need a suggestion or two or three to try for daily use.

Thx guys

FooGirlsMom

Yep....Rice Dream bothers me also....I sometimes buy So Delicious shelf stable Coconut Milk, but because I have so many food allergies, I find Vance's DariFree to be more economical for me in the long run. I order Vance's online, and it lasts me for a long, long time. I especially like to have hot cocoa during the winter months. Better Than Milk rice beverage mix also works for me......it has a slight coconut flavor to it. Be sure to read the ingredients on these products if you order online....I also have serious soy problems, and one of these products has some soy in it....forgot which one at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: