20 replies to this topic

#1 TPT

TPT

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:48 AM

Anyone have it? If so, did the gluten-free diet make you feel better?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Becci

Becci

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

My mother in law has it.. Although I am the one with celiac disease, she eats gluten-free while she is living here... The only thing that helps it is an ointment called "Betamethasone Valerate Ointment 0.1%"
[becci]

Celiac Disease
ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me. One is red, one is blue, the yellow suckers got my shoe. ABCDEFG, gummy bears are chasing me.

#3 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

I don't think those two are known to be related. Lichen sclerosis is pretty common, though. And treatable.

#4 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:03 AM

I don't think those two are known to be related. Lichen sclerosis is pretty common, though. And treatable.

LS isn't that common. They are both autoimmune. While they may not be directly related, I personally feel most AI diseases have a connection. I've read online cases of women with LS going gluten-free and feeling better. In case you have the wrong disease, Lichen sclerosis, in a nutshell affects the skin of the labia. (or rarely the penis)

At this point my results for celiac disease are considered negative, but I find that questionable. I notice when my symptoms of LS flare up, my "other" symptoms flare up as well.

#5 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:08 AM

My mother in law has it.. Although I am the one with celiac disease, she eats gluten-free while she is living here... The only thing that helps it is an ointment called "Betamethasone Valerate Ointment 0.1%"

Becci~ I've never heard of that med. I'll have to look into it. I've been on clobetesol for years, but wanted to stop because my main problem is thinning skin, which the clob can make worse. I started protopic a few weeks ago, but frankly it just hurts me so far! I started using emu oil with vitamin E yesterday. I had used it years ago. At the time, my symptoms were in check, but I don't know if it was the emu oil, or I just happened to be in a good phase at the time. You might have your mil look into it as well.

#6 taffers

taffers

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

TPT: Has eating gluten-free helped with your lichen sclerosus? I was recently diagnosed with LS as well, despite the fact it is most common in post-menopausal women, and I'm 34! It's awful. I've only had the symptoms since having my baby a year ago. There is very little research on it (of course since it's not a "man" disease or supported by drug companies), but I also found things online suggesting there is a link between LS and celiac disease. Some women have said eating gluten-free is the only thing to suppress their symptoms. I'm desperate for anything to work!

I actually had an endoscopy (with biopsies) 3 years ago, which did not indicate celiac disease, but my GI still ordered the celiac disease panel of bloodwork, which I did today. Even if I don't have celiac disease, I'm going gluten-free in the hopes it will help with the lichen sclerosus.

#7 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

TPT: Has eating gluten-free helped with your lichen sclerosus? I was recently diagnosed with LS as well, despite the fact it is most common in post-menopausal women, and I'm 34! It's awful. I've only had the symptoms since having my baby a year ago. There is very little research on it (of course since it's not a "man" disease or supported by drug companies), but I also found things online suggesting there is a link between LS and celiac disease. Some women have said eating gluten-free is the only thing to suppress their symptoms. I'm desperate for anything to work!

I actually had an endoscopy (with biopsies) 3 years ago, which did not indicate celiac disease, but my GI still ordered the celiac disease panel of bloodwork, which I did today. Even if I don't have celiac disease, I'm going gluten-free in the hopes it will help with the lichen sclerosus.

I was only gluten-free for 2 weeks. I am still in limbo over the whole celiac disease thing. I actually have some allergy testing scheduled for next week. After that, I will work more on diagnosising or ruling out celiac disease.

#8 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

I turned 38 yesterday, and was diagnosed with LS about 5 years ago. My mother was just diagnosed with it maybe 2 years ago shorly after she had a hysterectomy. She was fine until her surgery. If I remember correctly, I think I suggested she may have LS.

#9 MedicMom

MedicMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hi ladies,
I'm new here because my naturopath has just put me on a gluten-free diet for my LS. I'm now 34, diagnosed at 27 after my first baby, but I've likely had LS since puberty as that was when I had the burning / itching symptoms which I don't have now. I was told I have an advanced case of LS and didn't even require a biopsy to confirm (have since had one and confirmed). My LS symptoms are fisures and labia fusing with splitting and bleeding during intercourse. Since my diagnosis I have been on: progesterone, estrogen, testosterone - none of which helped. I had surgery to remove scar tissue in 2006 (which has returned) and I am now on clobetasol and Protopic which are keeping me under control with a decrease in fisure splitting and scar patches are less white and appear to be more "stretchy". I have just started with a naturopth who insists that ANYONE with autoimmune disease should be gluten-free, so that's why I'm here. Anyone noticed an improvement with Gluten-Free?? (I might also try dairy-free, but not getting too far ahead of myself at this point).
I will be going for celiac testing shortly.

#10 Dr. B

Dr. B

New Community Member

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

I have just started with a naturopth who insists that ANYONE with autoimmune disease should be gluten-free, so that's why I'm here.

That's a good first step. Systemic candida (invasive candidiasis) is probably the root of the problem.

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:07 AM

Hi ladies,
I'm new here because my naturopath has just put me on a gluten-free diet for my LS. I'm now 34, diagnosed at 27 after my first baby, but I've likely had LS since puberty as that was when I had the burning / itching symptoms which I don't have now. I was told I have an advanced case of LS and didn't even require a biopsy to confirm (have since had one and confirmed). My LS symptoms are fisures and labia fusing with splitting and bleeding during intercourse. Since my diagnosis I have been on: progesterone, estrogen, testosterone - none of which helped. I had surgery to remove scar tissue in 2006 (which has returned) and I am now on clobetasol and Protopic which are keeping me under control with a decrease in fisure splitting and scar patches are less white and appear to be more "stretchy". I have just started with a naturopth who insists that ANYONE with autoimmune disease should be gluten-free, so that's why I'm here. Anyone noticed an improvement with Gluten-Free?? (I might also try dairy-free, but not getting too far ahead of myself at this point).
I will be going for celiac testing shortly.

Please do not delete gluten from your diet until after your gluten related testing is done as the tests will always be negative if you do. They are checking for antibodies and if your not eating gluten you will not be producing antibodies. Your doctor can check for other issues without your being on gluten so you can drop gluten as soon as testing is done for celiac/ gluten intolerance.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 AndreaR

AndreaR

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Had LS for several years and it was getting worse. Was diagnosed with celiac disease in September. LS completely gone after only a couple of weeks without gluten.

#13 wildwood

wildwood

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

I was diagnosed with this 22 years ago. It was shortly after giving birth to my second child. I am thinking I may have a problem with gluten because I had a DH type rash almost a month ago that has appeared for the 3rd time in the past six months. I am trying not to make things "fit", but it seems to make some sense. In retrospect, when the LS presented our grocery budget was $50 a week and that had to go towards diapers and formula also. We literally lived on pasta. I started out being treated with a testosterone compound which was just awful. I then went to a diprolene ointment. I now use hydrocortisone valerate. I seem to be in remission and only use the cream occasionally if I feel things might be starting to flare.

Over the course of the years, I found that I preferred a "low carb" diet and seemed to feel better. I don't know if this has contributed to the remission, but as of a week ago I have stopped eating gluten. I will be interested to see if I have any LS flares going forward.

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

I want to add an interesting note about steroids and suspected DH.

I was in them - injections, oral, topical for DH. All helped to some degree with the DH but I had horrid side effects which resulted in my derm withdrawing them - except topical.

It wasn't til I got off the topical that my DH finally healed and remitted. I was 2 months gluten-free, not low iodone when I decided to do it. Rash blew up and then when it went down it healed (before it stayed and looked like ringworm).

Then I added an iodine containing multivitamin and it blew up - that's another story....

So, I don't know if I am allergic to steroids (I suspect I can't take them in any form as they send my adrenals into a spiral) or if this is a hallmark of DH.

So, it may be worth an experiment if your DH reaches a healing plateau and you are using steroids.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#15 norcal_gf

norcal_gf

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

All,

I have Lichen Sclerosis (LS) and after alot of research I discovered that going on a low oxalates diet gave me "immediate" relief. It's difficult to be on a gluten free and low oxalates diet - but IT WORKS! In just two weeks on the low oxalates diet my horrible LS itching has completed stopped, and in the first 48 hours the intense hypersensitivity disappeared. You can learn about LS and a low oxalates diet on this foundation website:
http://www.thevpfoundation.org and http://www.lowoxalate.info. Order the cookbook from the VP Foundation, and read everything on these websites. My OBGYN's only answer to LS was to use that cortisone cream - it doesn't solve a darn thing. It's so fustrating that doctors don't suggest going on a low oxalates diet for LS. Many women suffer with LS and they don't have to... Also there's a Yahoo Group that has success stories of women (who have LS) that went on a low oxalates diet and their LS symptoms went away! Here's the Yahoo Group url: http://health.groups...g_Low_Oxalates.

Also, I've only been gluten free for 4 months. When my LS symptoms didn't go away after going gluten-free I searched for answers and thank goodness found the VP Foundation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: