20 replies to this topic

#16 norcal_gf

norcal_gf

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

The Yahoo Low Oxalates link is incorrect in my last posting. Should be: http://health.groups...ng_Low_Oxalates

Or you can google the Yahoo Group - Trying Low Oxalates. You will need to join the group before you can view the resources or participate in the forums.

I hope this information helps others with LS.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Squishyleo

Squishyleo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

I have lichen sclerosus and was just diagnosed with celiacs which is in my family. I don't know how long I had LS before it was biopsied. I don't have the burning and itching, so I figured it was part of my vitiligo. I'll start the gluten free diet later this month and I would be very happy if it also helped clear up the LS. I didn't even know that was a possibility. LS is an autoimmune and comes in packs like the others. In addition to those 3, I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

#18 Sassbo

Sassbo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Brand new to the group and first post. I recently discovered I'm gluten sensitive. I also have a fairly mild case of LS, which came up quickly in 2008 during a time of great stress. Was not diagnosed with LS for a long time however! Due to LS I developed squamous cell carcinoma, which led me to research, and I self diagnosed the LS. Was finally confirmed in December!

I discovered the gluten sensitivity very recently after going on an elimination cleanse. It does make sense that the two could be related as well. I'm hoping that eliminating gluten will help with the LS.

Best of luck to you!

#19 ravenra

ravenra

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

I was diagnosed with LS almost a decade ago when I was a teenager. Flared up when I was under immense stress in university, and unfortunately went undiagnosed for a year or so before I could find a doc who knew what was up. In that time I had a bit of fusing, and was in a huge amount of pain (vulvodynia). Took a few years to recover from the damage done in that first year, using betaderm ointment 3-4 times a week, but my flares kept coming back until I went gluten-free last year. I still get mild flare ups around my period each month (mainly itching), but since cutting out gluten I think my LS has improved hugely. 

Gluten free since 12-2012

Thrombocytopenia 09-2013

Optic neuritis 02-2013

Dx w/ Asthma, Lichen Sclerosis, & IBS for over a decade.  

Daily headache(s), eczema, and LS free since giving up gluten!

#20 KCG91

KCG91

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

ravenra I'm so glad you commented on this old post and I happened to see it!
I can only offer an example from my own experience. For as long as I've had mild gastro symptoms I've also had what the docs have been telling me is bad thrush - it had similar symptoms but didn't really come and go or react to meds like you'd expect thrush too. Both of these also began under extreme stress during my first year of uni. I found out about lichen sclerosis as a related/similar condition to thrush so that had sort of been on my mind as a possibility. I went gluten-free for two weeks last month and had absolutely no LS/thrush symptoms but I dismissed it as too much of a coincidence and that I was treating gluten-free like a cure-all. Until...I'm back eating gluten this week for a blood test (still in the early stages of diagnosis) and it's (whatever 'it' is) back. With a vengeance :( three days to go... 

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

#21 ravenra

ravenra

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

ravenra I'm so glad you commented on this old post and I happened to see it!
I can only offer an example from my own experience. For as long as I've had mild gastro symptoms I've also had what the docs have been telling me is bad thrush - it had similar symptoms but didn't really come and go or react to meds like you'd expect thrush too. Both of these also began under extreme stress during my first year of uni. I found out about lichen sclerosis as a related/similar condition to thrush so that had sort of been on my mind as a possibility. I went gluten-free for two weeks last month and had absolutely no LS/thrush symptoms but I dismissed it as too much of a coincidence and that I was treating gluten-free like a cure-all. Until...I'm back eating gluten this week for a blood test (still in the early stages of diagnosis) and it's (whatever 'it' is) back. With a vengeance :( three days to go... 

Agh, thrush. I feel for ya!  I was told by like 5 DRs it was yeast infection, or an STI, or a half dozen other things - which were all horribly embarrassing at the time. My family doc even told me to use diaper rash cream, despite the fact that I was getting no sleep from the itching - and even tried sleeping with mittens on!  Getting a dx was a huge relief that I wasn't crazy and that there was a legit reason that I didn't cause.

I forgot to add, whenever I get contaminated by gluten my LS flares up, so it does seem like there's a link.  Good luck!  

Gluten free since 12-2012

Thrombocytopenia 09-2013

Optic neuritis 02-2013

Dx w/ Asthma, Lichen Sclerosis, & IBS for over a decade.  

Daily headache(s), eczema, and LS free since giving up gluten!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: