7 replies to this topic

#1 frogrun

frogrun

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

Does anyone know of any financial assistance programs to assist with the purchase of gluten free foods? I am exteremly sensative to gluten and I know it runs in families...I have an aunt who I think really needs to be gluten free, but she won't even go see a doctor becuase she says she can't afford the food (she is on disability and receives food stamps). I'm lucky enough to have the ability to spend the extra money to feel better; however, she dosn't have that ability on a fixed SSI income. It seems like she should be able to get help, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
Diagnosed with IBS w/ Constipation in July 2005
Diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis in June 2009
Officially Gluten-free since July 29th, 2009

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing. - GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

There have been some threads on here about inexpensive gluten-free foods. Bread, pasta and cookies are probably the most expensive. I don't know what you can get with food stamps but Chex, Some Progresso soups, Thai Kitchen noodles, rice, beans, frozen veggies, etc.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

I rarely buy specialty gluten free foods. I usually get one or two loaves of bread and one package of pizza shells in a month and that is about it. Many foods are naturally gluten free. Rice, beans, veggies and fruit, meats and chicken etc are all naturally gluten free. Being gluten free doesn't have to be expensive. I have a very limited budget, actually less for food than she likely gets in food stamps, and I eat quite well. Fresh meats are not expensive and I get frozen single ingredient veggies and buy some fruits that way. Most canned veggies are safe also. If she has a Wegmans close by they label all their store brand items that are gluten free.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

There's no program I know of in the U.S. and I'm sure that won't change any time soon. I can afford to buy expensive specialty gluten-free foods but simply choose not to because I don't think it's worth it. I do buy pasta regularly and I get the Nut Thin crackers, but they aren't all that expensive. Every now and then I buy bagels or make something from scratch, but otherwise I just regular old food that others consume and is naturally gluten-free. I've grown to really like corn tortillas for sandwiches (or I just roll ingredients in the meat or lettuce) or mini pizzas. And they're cheap as heck and have a lot fewer calories.

richard

#5 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

Oh! I've seen something that might help!

I came across it last month. It's on a website for families with autistic family members who want to go on a gluten free/casein free/soy free diet. And it's aimed at trying this diet for the least amount of money.

So it is a month's menu, including recipes and a grocery list, that can be bought with food stamps/food stamp budget, for a family of 4 (so I imagine your aunt should be able to buy it as well, yes?). Mostly plain, basic ingredient foods. They list brand names that are supposed to be gluten-free, too.

There were a few things that you'd have to be careful of, however, because I don't believe they are as careful about gluten CC as celiacs need to be (they recommend quaker oats, for example, which wouldn't be good for us, obviously). However, having an entire month all set out like that would, I think, be of great value, and I imagine she would be able to find a few substitutes without too much trouble. Like, just grind up rice in a blender until it's powder and cook it, or cook it extra long with milk or juice or broth added, and make rice porridge instead of oatmeal. Things like that, yes?

Anyway, here's the link! It's an article that contains the links to the menu, the grocery list, etc...
http://Gluten-free Casein-free-diet.talkaboutcuringautism.org/gfcfsf-diet-on-food-stamps.htm

Hope it helps!

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#6 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

oops, sorry about the bad link!
http://Gluten-free C...food-stamps.htm

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

Try
http://Gluten-free Casein-free-diet.talkaboutcuringautism.org/gfcfsf-diet-on-food-stamps.htm

It keeps changing the G F C f to the full word. Enter the above link but change the Words Gluten Free and Casein Free to the initials.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

oops, sorry about the bad link!
http://Gluten-free C...food-stamps.htm

the auto fill feature changes the g f c f to Gluten-free Casein-free. You'll have to change them back to work the link.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: