10 replies to this topic

#1 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

I can't say this is universal at Kroger because I almost never get meat or cheese from the deli, but my dad saw a sign at a Kroger deli in Roanoke, Va., recently that said EVERYTHING they slice, deli meats and cheese, is gluten-free. No need to worry about CC on the slicer.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

I can't say this is universal at Kroger because I almost never get meat or cheese from the deli, but my dad saw a sign at a Kroger deli in Roanoke, Va., recently that said EVERYTHING they slice, deli meats and cheese, is gluten-free. No need to worry about CC on the slicer.

richard

Wow! Our grocery has a big sign about Boars Head being gluten free. When you ask, they admit they cut other products that aren't gluten-free.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 norahsmommy

norahsmommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:20 AM

I was just thinking that about kroger. I really want some deli meat but I am not sure if they cut all their stuff on one slicer or if they have a dedicated slicer. It would be great if they did! Next week I will ask

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

A clarification. I checked the Kroger my father went to and all of the deli meats and cheeses that they slice are Private Selection and the sign he saw and that I have now seen confirms that ALL Private Selection meats and cheeses are now gluten-free. So the slicer they use for those will be gluten-free. Other Krogers also have Boars Head meats and cheeses, but Boars Head is ALSO completely gluten free. Some Krogers used to also have Sara Lee but don't know if that's true now.

Bottom line -- if your Kroger has nothing but Private Selection and/or Boar's Head and they have a slicer they use for nothing else, there's no need to worry. You're home free.

richard

#5 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

A clarification. I checked the Kroger my father went to and all of the deli meats and cheeses that they slice are Private Selection and the sign he saw and that I have now seen confirms that ALL Private Selection meats and cheeses are now gluten-free. So the slicer they use for those will be gluten-free. Other Krogers also have Boars Head meats and cheeses, but Boars Head is ALSO completely gluten free. Some Krogers used to also have Sara Lee but don't know if that's true now.

Bottom line -- if your Kroger has nothing but Private Selection and/or Boar's Head and they have a slicer they use for nothing else, there's no need to worry. You're home free.

richard

Thank you for the current information!

#6 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

Just be careful of beef. The convenience store I work in sells roast beef in the deli, and it is seasoned with gluten-containing soy sauce. Otherwise, all of the meats and cheeses we sell is glutenfree.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#7 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

richard

Great info, thanks!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

Just be careful of beef. The convenience store I work in sells roast beef in the deli, and it is seasoned with gluten-containing soy sauce. Otherwise, all of the meats and cheeses we sell is glutenfree.

This is not the case with Private Selection and Boar's Head beef.

In another update, a second Kroger I checked slices JUST Private Selection and Boar's Head. They have Sara Lee but it's presliced and packaged elsewhere.

richard

#9 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

Excellent, Richard! Thanks!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#10 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

I would be honest, I don't think I would trust anything at a Kroger deli, sadly. Even if the slicer only comes into contact with gluten free foods, there is still so much surrounding the meat and cheese that is not gluten free - like some of the dishes served at the deli - that the risk of CC from sources OTHER than the slicer seem too great.

And I don't know if you've ever taken a look at Kroger's gluten-free list, but even they don't consider it safe. They have a warning on their gluten-free list, under their section on cross contamination.

"...We recommend that individuals attempting to eliminate gluten from their diets not consume any items made in the store bakery or the deli due to the likelihood of cross contamination. This includes meat sliced in the deli."

I'm sure some individual stores might make more of an effort, so perhaps one that is more aware would be safe, but I wouldn't think it's common.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#11 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

The Krogers I go to keeps meats and cheeses in their own case away from the prepared foods. Every meat and cheese they slice on that slicer is gluten-free now.

Kroger also has this on its website:

"However, speak with your Deli Manager to make arrangements to have your deli meats and cheeses sliced either first thing in the morning or after the slicers have been cleaned, due to the risk of cross contamination."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: