#1 jd1000

jd1000

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

Hi all,
this is my first post and I just wanted to get some advice.

Heres my story, when I was about 4 or 5 I became allergic to peanuts. So ive grown up always being concious of what I eat.
Then when I was 23 I became Lactose intolerant. Now, at the age of 31 I think Ive become egg intolerant.

I dont notice any problems when eating gluten or wheat, but after searching online I came across information suggesting that celiac disease can appear as lactose intolerance first., Im wondering if Ive had it all along and it caused the lactose intolerance and now the egg intolerance.... does that sound plausible?

Could anyone offer any advice... Im incredibly sad about the prospect of having to avoid foods with peanuts, diary, egg and wheat for the rest of my life.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jststric

jststric

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

I had food allergies as a young child, but grew out of them. Jump ahead about 40 yrs and I become lactose-intolerant. That goes about the same for 15 yrs and SUDDENLY I have all kinds of issues. After a couple of years of trying doctors and simply writing everything that goes in my mouth down in a journal, I find I am gluten-intolerant, the lactose-intolerant has jumped in severity 700%, egg-intolerant, nut-intolerant, rice-intolerant and bean-intolerant. I had never read that lactose-intolerance is masked gluten-intolerance, but I have read that a large percentage of gluten-intolerant, or Celiac, are also lactose-intolerant. I have discovered it runs in my father's side of the family and nobody knew what the problem was. I have also read that those gluten-intolerant are often bothered by a myriad of other things.

#3 jd1000

jd1000

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hi,
thanks for replying.
Yeah, I read that continued exposured to glutent and the allergic reaction caused by it causes damange to the villi in the intestines, which disables the ability to deal with lactose.

I guess Im just wondering, because Ive had lactose intolerance so long, and never (even now) had a prob with gluten... but the egg thing is making me wonder.

I had food allergies as a young child, but grew out of them. Jump ahead about 40 yrs and I become lactose-intolerant. That goes about the same for 15 yrs and SUDDENLY I have all kinds of issues. After a couple of years of trying doctors and simply writing everything that goes in my mouth down in a journal, I find I am gluten-intolerant, the lactose-intolerant has jumped in severity 700%, egg-intolerant, nut-intolerant, rice-intolerant and bean-intolerant. I had never read that lactose-intolerance is masked gluten-intolerance, but I have read that a large percentage of gluten-intolerant, or Celiac, are also lactose-intolerant. I have discovered it runs in my father's side of the family and nobody knew what the problem was. I have also read that those gluten-intolerant are often bothered by a myriad of other things.

#4 jd1000

jd1000

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

The other thing I should say is that my wieght has been almost the same for the past few years (Im slightly overweight).

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

I was lactose intolerant for 15 years before I figured out I was gluten intolerant (as well as corn, and becoming intolerant of many other things). By that time I also had psoriatic arthritis and multiple nutritional deficiencies. I think it would be a good idea to get yourself tested with a celiac panel and perhaps head these stallions off at the pass (antibodies at the gut). It may come back negative, but even if it did I think it would be worthwhile to eliminate those things for six months (and check for and correct any nutritional deficiencies). You can then challenge the foods one at a time and gauge your response. After not consuming things for a while we often have a more marked response or, if your gut has healed, you may be able to handle them again. There are many silent celiacs with no GI symptoms.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 jd1000

jd1000

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:57 AM

Saw the doc today and he was quite good, blood tests tomorrow. He said that celiac rarely presented itself as lactose intolerance and egg intolerance before gluten intolerannce, but the tests would show more.

Kinda depressed about the possibility of facing a life with no diary, no nuts, no gluten and no egg.... at least i can still have steak and chips!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: