15 replies to this topic

#1 TPT

TPT

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

Received my blood work and biopsy results. Doctor considered everything negative. Please note that this is a resident Dermatologist, that had to consult a gastro to decipher my results. I have no issue with that. Just pointing out she's not an expert in the non-skin results.

Deamdated Gliadin Iga~ 2 units. This is in the negative range of 0-19.

Deamidated Gliadin IgG~ 2 untits within the negative range of 0-19.

Endomysial Antibody Iga~ negative

transglutaminase ttg IgA~ <2 in a negative range of 0-3.

T-transglutmanase ttg Iga~9 U/ml This is a weak positve 6-9. (almost a positive)

I hope I copied this all right. The lab report is confusing. Any thoughts, specifically what I have in red?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

What's your total IgA result?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

What's your total IgA result?

NO clue!!! The report seems so jumbled to me. Maybe I can scan and post it?

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

Okay, for one thing, your dermatologist has no business running blood tests that she doesn't know how to decipher. Secondly, if she doesn't know anything about celiac, are you sure that she performed your skin biopsy properly? She should have taken the biopsy from a patch of skin NEAR a blister, not ON the blister. Do you know if she did this? If not, she needs to re-do the biopsy (and NOT charge you if you don't have insurance). If she biopsied a lesion/blister directly, it comes back negative. If she doesn't agree to re-do the biopsy, please see another dermatologist.

#5 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

NO clue!!! The report seems so jumbled to me. Maybe I can scan and post it?

did u possibly mistype your results post? cause both ttg results u posted as Iga... might one of them be Igg ??

and yes- like said above- you need to ask your doc for a "Total Iga Serum" test- this would give u an insight as to whether your iga test are innacurately false for antigliadin and innacurately weak positive for ttg.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#6 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:35 AM

I won't fault her for ordering the tests. I went to see her because I had rashes. 1 was new on my face, plus reoccuring rashes all over for 8 years. After putting some other info together, we decided to test for celiac. I wasn't initially going there because I thought I had celiac disease.

I will look at my report again and see if I made a typo. Also, is there a way I can put it in my post? I guess I would have to put it on photobucket or something?

#7 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:39 AM

I won't fault her for ordering the tests. I went to see her because I had rashes. 1 was new on my face, plus reoccuring rashes all over for 8 years. After putting some other info together, we decided to test for celiac. I wasn't initially going there because I thought I had celiac disease.

I will look at my report again and see if I made a typo. Also, is there a way I can put it in my post? I guess I would have to put it on photobucket or something?

She did a biopsy on both the rash AND next to it. She said I am reacting to something. I forget if I already said I am going in for a patch test next month.

Aside from my possible celiac disease symptoms, I am a candidate for celiac disease. I already have an autoimmune disease called lichen sclerosis. My brother has a gene for celiac disease, and is currently going through similiar inconclusive testing like me.

#8 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:46 AM

Received my blood work and biopsy results. Doctor considered everything negative. Please note that this is a resident Dermatologist, that had to consult a gastro to decipher my results. I have no issue with that. Just pointing out she's not an expert in the non-skin results.

Deamdated Gliadin Iga~ 2 units. This is in the negative range of 0-19.

Deamidated Gliadin IgG~ 2 untits within the negative range of 0-19.

Endomysial Antibody Iga~ negative

transglutaminase ttg IgA~ <2 in a negative range of 0-3.

T-transglutmanase ttg Iga~9 U/ml This is a weak positve 6-9. (almost a positive)

I hope I copied this all right. The lab report is confusing. Any thoughts, specifically what I have in red?

#9 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:54 AM

T-transglutmanase ttg IgG~9 U/ml This is a weak positve 6-9. (almost a positive)

You were right, it is IGg. I copied it wrong.

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:29 AM

I wouldn't fault her either. In fact I would commend her for it. Pretty savvy resident IMHO.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

T-transglutmanase ttg IgG~9 U/ml This is a weak positve 6-9. (almost a positive)

You were right, it is IGg. I copied it wrong.

ahh... then u should def get an Iga serum level test- looks like you could be a person with Gluten Intolerance or Celiac with an Iga deficiency.

and even if your hives are allergic hives and not DH. they could be due to a wheat allergy in addition to your gluten intolerance.

good luck with everything
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#12 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

I agree, get the total IGA Serum test, but once that blood is drawn, start on a strict gluten free diet for 3 months. Pay attention to the cross contamination. It really does make one as sick as eating a slice of bread. With your autoimmune history and your brother's possible celiac, you wouldn't be doing yoursef any favors by skipping the diet because of weak positive results. Some would argue a positive is a positive, no matter how weak. I'll just add that so many people here have found relief after giving up gluten even when they had negative blood results. It seems that while our blood work has gotten so much better, there is a group of people who are either celiac and the current blood tests don't pick up on it or who are gluten intolerant to the point of misery without a strict gluten-free diet.

You've got nothing to lose with a 3 month gluten-free trial, so go for it. Then reintroduce the gluten heavily and see what happens.

Best wishes and be strict and consistent.

#13 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

I agree, get the total IGA Serum test, but once that blood is drawn, start on a strict gluten free diet for 3 months. Pay attention to the cross contamination. It really does make one as sick as eating a slice of bread. With your autoimmune history and your brother's possible celiac, you wouldn't be doing yoursef any favors by skipping the diet because of weak positive results. Some would argue a positive is a positive, no matter how weak. I'll just add that so many people here have found relief after giving up gluten even when they had negative blood results. It seems that while our blood work has gotten so much better, there is a group of people who are either celiac and the current blood tests don't pick up on it or who are gluten intolerant to the point of misery without a strict gluten-free diet.

You've got nothing to lose with a 3 month gluten-free trial, so go for it. Then reintroduce the gluten heavily and see what happens.

Best wishes and be strict and consistent.

What is a total IGa serum test? Is it not part of the typical protocol? Being a derm. resident, she did look up what tests had to be ordered, so she could have missed something. Again, not faulting her. This isn't her area. Infact, when I faxed my info to my GP, he wouldn't comment on my bloodwork at all, saying it wasn't his area. And he's a seasoned doctor that does all kinds of research.

#14 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

Some people are IgA deficient, which means that any IgA tests may be falsely negative.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#15 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

So does a elevated ttg IGg indicate SOMETHING, or could it be high for no reason?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: