#1 steve-o

steve-o

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I was sick today, with all the same symptoms I get when I eat gluten...so I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out what is it that I've eaten in the past day or so, that could have made me sick.

High on my list of suspect foods is "I can't believe it's not butter" spread. I had a pretty generous portion on my baked potato last night.

I looked on their webpage, and there was no gluten info. So I emailed them, and asked if they could tell me if any of their products are gluten free. Here's the answer I got:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Steve,

Thanks for writing!

Because our products are formulated for use by the majority of our
consumers, and not specifically for those on restricted diets, it is
possible our product formulations may change at any time. As a result, we
cannot provide a list due to several factors:

- Lists of this type reflect products as formulated at a specific time
- Possible that more products/varieties may have been added
- More important, changes in existing products may have occurred

Therefore, we suggest reading all ingredient labels carefully.

We hope this information is helpful!
Your friends at ICBINB!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only other thing I've ever used ICBINB on, is some gluten free bread that I've made...which always seems to make me ill. This led me to believe I might have a problem with the yeast, but now I'm wondering if it was the ICBINB?

So I'm just curious to see how many of you have had positive, or negative, experiences with this product.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Steve

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:41 AM

What ICBINB is saying is that they don't give out a list because as soon as they do it could be old (this is true of ANY list) and that if a product has gluten (or at least wheat) it will be shown in the ingredients. ICBINB is a Unilever product and this is Unilever's policy for all it's products.

ICBINB is in fact gluten-free. I've never found a butter or magarine that isn't gluten-free. Are you certain somebody else hadn't used it and spread bread crumbs?

richard

#3 tommchale

tommchale

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

What ICBINB is saying is that they don't give out a list because as soon as they do it could be old (this is true of ANY list) and that if a product has gluten (or at least wheat) it will be shown in the ingredients. ICBINB is a Unilever product and this is Unilever's policy for all it's products.

ICBINB is in fact gluten-free. I've never found a butter or magarine that isn't gluten-free. Are you certain somebody else hadn't used it and spread bread crumbs?

richard

Hi Richard - I think you may be on to something. I have been sick all weekend and the only difference I am coming up with is a switch to ICBINB because I ran out of real butter, which I normally use. I am a very experienced gluten free dieter, it took me something like 18 months to figure out most of the details, but even now I am still finding exceptions (the hard way) like Sensodyne toothpaste which is something you don't even swallow! In this case, the tub of ICBINB using was pure (brand new, no chance of cross contamination of bread crumbs from other damily members). Can't prove it, but sure seems suspicious as I am very very careful about what I eat and cross contamination.

#4 maryjoali

maryjoali

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:47 AM

Oh my God! I just posted in another thread that I've been gluten/casein-free for 7 months and have started experiencing the same symptoms as before. We just moved into our new home Aug. 1 and I bought I Can't Believe... when doing out big shop to stock up. My husband and I are both gluten-free so there's no chance of CC here, but honestly that is the only item I've changed since moving. I hadn't even considered that the margarine I am using every morning may be the cause. Maybe this is why I should continue journalling my food intake! I'm going to eliminate it for a bit and try it again to test. Thanks so much for posting this concern! I never would have thought of it since I, too, called and they told me it was gluten-free.

#5 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

Oh my God! I just posted in another thread that I've been gluten/casein-free for 7 months and have started experiencing the same symptoms as before. We just moved into our new home Aug. 1 and I bought I Can't Believe...

I Can't Belive It's Not Butter contains dairy....
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#6 maryjoali

maryjoali

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

I Can't Belive It's Not Butter contains dairy....

I guess I shouldn't really say casein-"free" because you're right...it does contain 0.6% buttermilk powder. When we did my testing I could tolerate small amounts of dairy, which is why I wasn't concerned about that, but maybe in this formulation it sets me off. Seems like such a minute amount, though...0.6% in the whole container and I use a thin layer once in the morning. The body does work in unpredictable ways though....

#7 tommchale

tommchale

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

I guess I shouldn't really say casein-"free" because you're right...it does contain 0.6% buttermilk powder. When we did my testing I could tolerate small amounts of dairy, which is why I wasn't concerned about that, but maybe in this formulation it sets me off. Seems like such a minute amount, though...0.6% in the whole container and I use a thin layer once in the morning. The body does work in unpredictable ways though....

The interesting this is I have no problem with dairy at all, so the Gluten thing is really suspicious to me with ICBINB. There are way to many companies out there that claim gluten free but give no thought to cross contamination. I buy very little packaged dry food anymore as I have run across too many examples of products that have a big "Gluten Free" on the label, but apparently the product was made on the same equipment that processes gluten ingredients. Corn chips are the classic example. Most do not contain gluten as an ingredient (corn, salt, oil), but are almost certainly processed on equipment coated with flour to prevent sticking... If you are sensitive to cross contamination, gluten free facility manufactured is the way to go. I have had a number of problems with Amy's stuff even though that is supposed to be Gluten Free. Won't eat it anymore as I worry about their cross contamination control.

#8 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

Could you possibly be sensitive to soy?

Maybe you're just sensitive to the hydrogenated oils and other ingredients ... if you're used to eating healthy, some of these artificial ingredients might cause some kind of a reaction.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#9 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

Could you possibly be sensitive to soy?

Maybe you're just sensitive to the hydrogenated oils and other ingredients ... if you're used to eating healthy, some of these artificial ingredients might cause some kind of a reaction.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe it's something else in the product that you are intolerant to. I was convinced I was constantly getting glutened until I realized that I was intolerant to corn, which was manifesting problems most severely when I ate anything with Xanthan gum... which is in nearly every single gluten-free packaged product available.
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#10 tommchale

tommchale

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe it's something else in the product that you are intolerant to. I was convinced I was constantly getting glutened until I realized that I was intolerant to corn, which was manifesting problems most severely when I ate anything with Xanthan gum... which is in nearly every single gluten-free packaged product available.

Thanks all, now that I think back, the soy theory is consistent with some other episodes I have had, I will have to experiment with that. Thank you VERY much for the ideas!

#11 GlutenFreeKitty

GlutenFreeKitty

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hello Everyone -

I am new posting on this Forum. I have been getting answers from it for months since I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity this year. I have been pretty good with an occasional binge but not severe reactions until Thursday night. I wound up with severe abdominal cramps and all of the related symptoms of a full blown reaction. I have been analyzing EVERYTHING I consumed and finally it hit me. The ONLY thing that was different was that I started eating I Can't Believe It's Not Butter again. I Googled it and found everyone's related posts.

I know it claims to be gluten free but I am sick of being sick so I am eliminating it. Guess I will take a risk in a few weeks if I get better and try it again to see if it's what caused my symptoms? It's hard following the gluten free diet but being free from the symptom of gluten intolerance has been wonderful. Having it come back on me is stressful. I will be back after my dietary experiment is complete.

#12 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hello Everyone -

I am new posting on this Forum. I have been getting answers from it for months since I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity this year. I have been pretty good with an occasional binge but not severe reactions until Thursday night. I wound up with severe abdominal cramps and all of the related symptoms of a full blown reaction. I have been analyzing EVERYTHING I consumed and finally it hit me. The ONLY thing that was different was that I started eating I Can't Believe It's Not Butter again. I Googled it and found everyone's related posts.

I know it claims to be gluten free but I am sick of being sick so I am eliminating it. Guess I will take a risk in a few weeks if I get better and try it again to see if it's what caused my symptoms? It's hard following the gluten free diet but being free from the symptom of gluten intolerance has been wonderful. Having it come back on me is stressful. I will be back after my dietary experiment is complete.

Please remember that you are responding to a 5 year old thread. Product info and ingredietns may have changed in such a long time.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#13 SandyH

SandyH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Being very newly diagnosed, this gluten issue is overwhelming. I had read an article that stated that CC contained a deriviative of gluten and should be avoided. So Icontacted Country Crock to see if their spread was gluten free and I was told that they do not publish information such as that. They suggested that if I have questions as to whether or not to eat it, I shouldn't! So it is deliberate -- their decision to withhold information.

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Actually, you asked the wrong question, triggering the response dictated by the legal department. They will not answer any question about "gluten-free" because to say yes opens them to legal liability if one of their suppliers accidentally provides a contaminated ingredient.

Ask if the product contains gluten, and they will tell you that any gluten source will be clearly disclosed in the ingredients list.

And this topic is now almost seven years old. But Unilever's gluten disclosure policy has not changed in at least ten years.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 courud7346

courud7346

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

PSAWYER---Thanks for your post. I'm so sorry this is the following year but after yet another sick day, I'm convinced ICBINB has something with gluten in it. I'm not allergic to dairy, never any issue with it or soy nor yeast yet, I ate some vegetables a pat of it on it and needless to say, sick doesn't do justice in describing it. When I visit my mother, she uses it, she keeps things pretty gluten free and for a while, I thought it was something she had that I was CC with my food.  She eats wheat still, she has diabetes so that's to be expected but she keeps her "wheaty" things away from me. Only when I come in contact with ICBINB do I get the symptoms show. I don't know what they have in there but if UNILEVER isn't going to fully disclose what they include in their products, I don't think anyone with an allergy should take a chance using their products.  

Actually, you asked the wrong question, triggering the response dictated by the legal department. They will not answer any question about "gluten-free" because to say yes opens them to legal liability if one of their suppliers accidentally provides a contaminated ingredient.

Ask if the product contains gluten, and they will tell you that any gluten source will be clearly disclosed in the ingredients list.

And this topic is now almost seven years old. But Unilever's gluten disclosure policy has not changed in at least ten years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: