20 replies to this topic

#1 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

First of all, WOOHOO! I don't have to have all my posts approved anymore. Now I am officially in the club no one wants to be in! :lol:

My question is regarding all the signatures I see on here, listing other intolerances, allergies, etc. If you have Celiac, are you more prone to other sensitivities? I've also noticed several listing nightshades. It took a bit of poking around to figure out ya'll (yes, I'm in the South, lol) are talking about mushrooms and such.

The main reason I am asking is because I tried to be very careful at a Chinese place last Friday - fried rice and veggies with no sauce or seasonings - but I got very sick. There were a lot of mushrooms in there! So I was wondering if the nightshades give you similar symptoms.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

From what I've seen with people here figuring out what is affecting them, usually if you have the same symptoms, it's the same thing (not always, of course).

If you ate at a restaurant that has lots and lots of gluten around (with the soy sauce), I'd assume cross contamination of gluten first. And you said no sauce with your rice...does that mean they gave you white rice? Because fried rice is typically made with soy sauce, which would get you but good. :( And if they made it without soy sauce just for you, unless they cooked it in a separate pan, the previous fried rice might have cross contaminated it.

Sigh - so many ways to get sick, eh? ;)

Although re: nightshades? I believe most people are talking about plants from the nightshade family when they mention them here, which involves: Potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, and cayenne.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

Mushrooms are not in the nightshade family, but you might have an intolerance to them, having nothing to do with gluten.
You might want to test that theory. I will not eat in an asian restaurant. To easy to get glutened or cc'd. I Know, took 3 times for me to finally get it through my head, duh. lol

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

I wouldn't eat in a regular Chinese restaurant, unless I was sure the kitchen understood what was necessary, but the chain PF Chang's has a gluten free menu and I've eaten there successfully.

I have read that imported MSG may have gluten, so now there is something else to be paranoid about, besides regular soy sauce, not tamari.

#5 realmaverick

realmaverick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

Tonight, I am finally convinced that nightshades, particularly potatoes, are bad for me.

The past two times I've eaten them, I've monitored my reaction. Within a few hours I crash, big time. I feel a sudden need to sleep, I put my head down and I'm out. Usually I struggle like hell to sleep.

I'm going to avoid nightshades and see how I go.
Main Symptoms
  • Extreme Fatigue
  • Anxiety, Brain fog
  • Sore Eyes

Diet and Supplements Started 23rd September 2010
  • 100% Gluten Free
  • Holland & Barratt, Vitamin B Complex. 100mg B1, B2, B6, B12
  • Holland & Barratt, Omega 3 Fish Oil. 1360mg x 2. 1900mg Active EPA/DHA
  • Mightidophilus, Enteneric Coated Probiotic. 20 Billion MO, 12 Strains.

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

Tonight, I am finally convinced that nightshades, particularly potatoes, are bad for me.

The past two times I've eaten them, I've monitored my reaction. Within a few hours I crash, big time. I feel a sudden need to sleep, I put my head down and I'm out. Usually I struggle like hell to sleep.

I'm going to avoid nightshades and see how I go.

Nice hat RM! You may find that tomatoes and peppers bother you also, as they are common nightshades as well. There are a couple thousand plants in the nightshade family, but these three seem to be the ones that cause trouble. You'll have to watch out for processed gluten-free products too, as many of them use potato flour. Over here there are only a few gluten-free breads that don't have potato starch or flour in them. Food for Life is one, I think Kinickinick has potato free hamburger buns. I don't know if those are available over there in the old country or not. The brown rice tortillas and corn tortillas are usually potato free too.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

Over here there are only a few gluten-free breads that don't have potato starch or flour in them. Food for Life is one, I think Kinickinick has potato free hamburger buns. I don't know if those are available over there in the old country or not. The brown rice tortillas and corn tortillas are usually potato free too.

Thanks for that info, Gee-Eff in DeeCee. I will look for Food for Life next summer :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for all the responses! You guys are very informative, which is good, because I am pretty clueless. :blink:

It was FRIED RICE, so that's probably the issue.

Unless I don't have gluten/Celiac issues.

Because I was EXTREMELY CAREFUL yesterday and sick last night and this morning. :(

#9 catarific

catarific

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

Soy sauce has gluten - unless you specifically use a gluten-free soy sauce - that could be why you were sick.

#10 Cinnamongirl

Cinnamongirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Interesting you say that about potatoes. I actually often eat a baked potato at bedtime because it helps me to sleep better. I got the idea from the book, "Potatoes, not Prozac". I believe the rationale was that the complex carbohydate at bedtime raises insulin levels which in turn helps tryptophan cross the blood/brain barrier and raises serotonin (and hence melatonin) levels in the brain. I gave the book to a friend, so my explanation may not be entirely correct, but it seemed to work in helping me to sleep.

Of course if you feel rotten after eating potatoes you should avoid them.
Felt limited by anxiety since I was around 9.
Have known something was "wrong" for most of my adult life and learned to live with bloating/constipation and fatigue.
Went to many doctors for help without success.
Got confirmation from Enterolabs that I was gluten sensitive in Dec. 20009

#11 tamika

tamika

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

is there a way to test for a nightshade allergy i.e. RAST for other food allergies? It's funny because sometimes i feel okay eating potatoes and sometimes I don't... I definitely cannot tolerate ketchup anymore for some reason. Please offer comments 8-(
wheat allergy-positive via blood 09'
negative Celiac panel
negative EGG & colonoscopy
positive results with elimination diet

#12 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

This is just a personal observation with no basis in scientific evidence whatsoever :rolleyes: Sometimes when a dubious food is ingested with many other foods it can be tolerated better than if you just ate that food alone. I sometimes wonder if it has a better chance of being passed on through to the colon and not finding its way through the leaky gut lining if it has other things mixed in with it. Certainly if it were sitting there on its own it would have probably a 100% chance if the gut were leaky of getting into the bloodstream in an undigested form that your body would form antibodies to, whereas if digestion of multiple foods is occurring the concentration of the dubious food is decreased and it may just churn around more in the middle instead of coming into contact with a junction that is "not tight". I used to find that I could tolerate a little bit of fresh tomato, but any cooked, concentrated tomato would kill me. Alas, now it is no tomato whatever :( , especially ketchup.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for that info, Gee-Eff in DeeCee. I will look for Food for Life next summer :D

Sure Shroomie! FFL bread doesn't work for me because it has carrot fiber in it. But their brown rice wraps or Trader Joe's brown rice wraps are ok.

I think your idea of the other foods watering down or hiding some of the offending food make sense too. A less concentrated mixture is what it would amount to.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#14 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

GFnDC, I just saw your signature. That verse from Job...FANTASTIC! Made me LOL! Thanks. I needed that today!

#15 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

GFnDC, I just saw your signature. That verse from Job...FANTASTIC! Made me LOL! Thanks. I needed that today!

Ha ha, glad you like it Ox! I sometimes wonder if the poor guy had celiac. He had bowel problems and scabs on his skin after all, could be DH sores. Well, hard to tell of course, but I think he ate too much wheat. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: