22 replies to this topic

#1 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

Before I got really sick with celiac, I was a very active person with tons of energy. Back in the day I used to be in track and field, hockey, ringette, rugby, soccer, and I used to play a lot of other sports just for fun. Now after being diagnosed, I just play soccer and I'm not the same as I used to be... Last year was a lot tougher for me since I had just been diagnosed. This year I feel tons better than last year, which is great! But I'm still not the same as I used to be. I don't believe I am "out of shape" because I play soccer 2x a week and do other activities such as running, walking, vollyball, badminton, ect. When I'm playing soccer I get tired very quickly and sometimes feel weak. It's very frustrating! Has anyone else noticed a decline in athletic ability after celiac. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help? Maybe you've experienced this and got over it? *Just to add, I eat lots of veggies, fruits, rice, gluten-free grains, and fish. I do eat beef, chicken and turkey too, but I eat way more fish than any other meats.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

I find my muscles ache even during really simple activities - like walking. I don't have nearly the energy I used to, but I keep on plugging because I don't see much of an alternative. Sitting on the couch certainly isn't going to help!

I may be in a different situation than you though - still have a lot of symptoms and haven't put on any weight since I lost it before my diagnosis. My body is definitely not as healthy as it could be.

#3 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:06 PM

absolutely carrie. aside from the fibromyalgia i have, i have also noticed that it seems to take my muscles longer to recover. ie. if i was lifting weights i will be more sore for longer than previously when more healthy. i definitely don't have the endurance i did either. i ran mini marathon successfully in '01, and was hoping to train for a smaller size triathalon or for a full marathon. now the thought is exhausting. i hope one day...

i eat very healthy as well. for those of us who have been sick for along time, i can't help but think it just takes a long long time to recover. and sadly, maybe some of us may not be exactly what we were before ? can't think of any ideas for you if you are eating high energy foods/water before a work and replenishing after...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#4 cmom

cmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:02 PM

I have also noticed that the last four months or so, I am very stiff and sore when I get out of bed in the morning. Don't know why, since I am just as active as I was before. No change in level of activity. Maybe it's my age! :)
Robin from Indiana

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:38 AM

Thanks guys for your help :) I just needed to know if this was normal or if other people were experiencing similar problems. I guess we need longer to feel 100% better. I'm so impatient though, I just get frustrated with myself when I get tired so easily.
Carrie Faith

#6 rmmadden

rmmadden

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:57 AM

Carrie,

I've noticed a drop-off in my athletic ability. Before I got sick with celiac disease I was playing men's fastpitch baseball. I decided to take this year off as I didn't think I had the energy to play 9-inning games. I don't really get tired but, I've noticed that if I do too much I get light headed a bit and have to sit down.

I do walk a lot and bicycle some as well. I have been playing co-ed softball 1x per week and so far I've faired pretty well. I think I'm still recovering and slowly getting better (Knock-on-wood) so I hope to see my energy level pick-up some and start doing more physical activity.

Cleveland Bob B)
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:39 AM

I've done much better at the active things I do recently than I used to. I don't know if it's all the diet, or what, but I've done better.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:49 AM

When I got mono (that triggered celiac) that is when I had trouble with endurance and I never had that problem before.
I had problems until I went gluten free...then about 8-10 months being gluten free everything was fine again
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#9 watkinson

watkinson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:45 AM

Hi Carrie,
I was wondering if your taking any vitamins? A B-complex vitamin helps with energy. I take one that I get from Trader Joe's that you put under your tingue. I take it every morning.

Also, are you getting enough sleep? Good sleep, the deep REM kind of sleep. I know with me when my muscles are extremely sore and tight I don't sleep deeply.

Hope you feel better soon,

Wendy

#10 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

Cleveland Bob - Glad to hear that you are slowly getting better :) My energy levels have improved a lot since last year, but they still aren't 100%. I think I will need more time.

Tiffany - Yea, I was wondering if it was the diet cauing a lack of energy.

Kaiti - Good to hear that your endurance got better. There is hope for us

Wendy - I take calcium and vitamin D. But if a B-complex will help, I'll give it a try! I guess we probably miss out on some of the B vitamins since they are a lot of them in gluten foods. I try to get lots of sleep 7-9 hours most nights B)
Carrie Faith

#11 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:21 PM

It took me about a year and a half to really feel about 75% and now I'm at about 95%. Anemia is a big problem facing celiacs, especially those recently diagnosed. I also noticed that I was short of breath all the time, bruised easily, and got tired way quick. Not to mention anxiety and everything else (i'm an avid mountain biker, and this was tough for me to overcome). I don't take any supplements, but I do eat a lot of red meat and fish (esp. salmon) and fruits and veggies and natural fats. I'm no longer anemic, and can keep up with the junior kids that I coach :) Good luck with everthing-it's always nice to see fellow celiac athletes!
Nadia
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#12 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:50 PM

I notice I start to "suck wind" pretty quick now. I usually have to wait a few minutes or fight through it.

My second wind is actually AMAZING....I can play hoops for like an hour, but after the first 15 minutes I feel so winded, but Like I said, it goes away....

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the info Nadia, I guess it not abnormal to still be feeling less than 100% at this point in time on the diet.

I notice I start to "suck wind" pretty quick now. I usually have to wait a few minutes or fight through it. My second wind is actually AMAZING....I can play hoops for like an hour, but after the first 15 minutes I feel so winded, but Like I said, it goes away....

broncobux, I am kinda like that too. The first 10-15 minutes of running or playing soccer is sometimes harder then the rest. But maybe it's because I'm not warmed up yet ;)
Carrie Faith

#14 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

Yeah- It happened to me too. At first, I could barely get off the couch and I actually lost my desire to do anything (I love to ski, surf, walk, bike, do yoga) but it's been a little over 6 months and I would say that I'm about 60% better. I'm walking, biking short distances and I even went surfing for a half hour last week (that's a long time- the water is cold in NH!). I've found that I have to force myself to do stuff, it does take longer to recover, but I'm usually glad I did.

I'm really frustrated too as I used to be always on the go and now I find that I get tired much more quickly. But you figure, it takes awhile to recover and eventually you'll get your ya ya's back. It's good to hear that Kaiti improved so much. And the other thing is I think depending on what we eat, we have good days and bad days. Let's hope we all get our ya ya's back soon! I want to ski this winter and not be exhausted by the time I arrive at thmountain and freeze to death because I had NO cold tolerance this winter (or last summer- it would be 90 degrees out and I'd be freezing). It seems to be getting better though. Best, Beverly

#15 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

I've found that I have to force myself to do stuff, it does take longer to recover, but I'm usually glad I did.

I agree, I forced myself to keep in shape and I was glad I did or I think I'd be worse off.
Carrie Faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: