#16 Merika

Merika

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

Hi Carrie,

We've been gluten-free about the same about of time :) I went gluten-free in Feb 2004. I definitely have less energy than pre-symptoms. Of course, I was 19 then and 32 now....think that could be some of it ;) But then my 60+ yr old dance teacher can still dance me under the table, so I think I have a ways to go yet (sigh)....

Merika

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:00 AM

Hopefully we won't have to wait to much longer to get all of our energy back
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#18 tasha

tasha

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

I definitely have noticed a change. My symptoms of celiac were usually apparent after I exercised at the gym: I'd feel very dizzy and get terrible headaches right after. I'd pretty much have to lie in bed for four hours or so to feel normally again. <_<

I've only been gluten free for three months or so. I started running again when I started the diet and it did take two months of doing it every day to even start to feel like I used to. My dietitian recommended a multivitamin which helped a lot.

I've only had one headache/dizzy spell after exercising since I've been gluten free and I think it was because of a combination of not taking the multivitamin and possibly ingesting gluten in chips I thought were safe. I also worked really hard at the gym that day. It's really annoying not being able to exercise like a person my age should be able to....not being able to really push yourself etc. I also feel afraid to go to the gym by myself because the dizzyness can get very bad. I'm hoping I will be normal after a few more months... hopefully we all will be!

Good luck with it everyone!

#19 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:42 PM

I'd pretty much have to lie in bed for four hours or so to feel normally again.

I felt the same way last month after my first few games so I know what you mean. All I wanted to do was lay in bed the entire day after the game. I'm not like that anymore though.

I started running again when I started the diet and it did take two months of doing it every day to even start to feel like I used to.

I also notied that it takes longer for me to get in shape than I used to. I started out walking 3-4 times a week and I would be out of breath just walking a little over a kilometer, then after a month or so of that, I worked my way up to jogging and running.

I think you will start to notice improvements with time, I seem to be getting better every month now, which is awesome! So I hope you have the same success. I am still not my usual self though. The next 5 days will be a real test for me, since I have 5 games coming up between Friday and Monday!
Carrie Faith

#20 tasha

tasha

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

The next 5 days will be a real test for me, since I have 5 games coming up between Friday and Monday!

Wow! Good luck with those games. Sounds pretty intense!

I'm glad you're improving...I think that's so important. As long as we all keep getting better we will soon be back to normal :)

Have an awesome weekend!

#21 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

Thanks B)
Carrie Faith

#22 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:46 AM

Thank you so much, Carrie, for starting this thread. I have had decreased engery and poop out way before other people who eat horrible and never workout. It has been extremely frustrating as people just assume I am weak or out of shape. I have been looking into finding out what else was wrong with me, but I am so glad to hear that this seems normal with celiac. I am only 4 months in.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

#23 Drew

Drew

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

I have had decreased engery and poop out way before other people who eat horrible and never workout. It has been extremely frustrating as people just assume I am weak or out of shape. I have been looking into finding out what else was wrong with me, but I am so glad to hear that this seems normal with celiac. I am only 4 months in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hang in there ! I can tell you from experience... after a good while on the gluten-free diet your sports ability will improve dramatically

I am an avid mountain biker. Prior to discovering my gluten intolerance, I was able to hang in there with the group on a ride. Now, a year and a half later, the group is way behind me eating my dust leaving me time to find extra tricks and stunts while I wait for them ! My recovery time is way quicker so I find myself wearing out on set of riding buddies only to go out with some others the next day.

I would say do what you can for now exercise - wise and go solo if group pressures are dragging you down. Focus most of your energies on assuring that you ingest only whole foods prepared by yourself and that will be the best thing you can do to increase your sports performance. Good luck !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: