This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pasta Salad Glob

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

After going to a potluck picnic this weekend I had a craving for pasta salad. Sooooo I thought I would make an attempt at it today. Made the sauce/dressing (which turned out yummy) while the pasta was boiling and I was getting sooo hungry and excited!!

Drained the pasta and began thinking about how it falls apart grrrrrr!!! <_< Cooled the pasta down and then mixed it with the dressing (mixed it carefully and lightly). The pasta fell apart even more!

So basically I ended up with a pasta salad glob or gloop. It tastes great but presentation isnt' so pretty!! ha Any ideas as how to keep the pasta from looking like a glob?? I would love to make a pasta salad that looks pretty too!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

what kind of pasta do you use? tinkyada had worked well for me. another tip is to slightly under cook the pasta, or make sure it's al dente. once you've cooked it, make sure you immediatley put it in cold water so it stops cooking. and i try to keep the mixing to a minimum. have you experimenting with different shapes? try a smaller shape/size over a macaroni noodle which can be a little more tender. i've also found i can't let it set like other non gluten-free pasta salads in the past...

you may have done all these things already...but maybe there's a new idea!

I used Mrs. Leepers veggie spirals (wanted a little healthier option). I under cooked them, drained and cooled. I guess I'll have to try some experimentation with the brands. This one tastes great, just doesn't look pretty!! Definately doesn't look like pasta salad! ha Looks like rainbow colored gloop!! :lol: Thanks for the tips, keep them comming!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

experiment with the brands, and make sure that they were truely a touch undercooked (not just undercooked by using fewer minutes than the packaging suggests). I haven't had too much trouble with some of the tinkyada shapes, but they never hold up fabulously. (oh, also try letting it cool to nearly room temperature and stir well before refrigerating.)

Guest jhmom

Jessica,

Did you use Rice or Corn pasta? I use Mrs. Leapers too but I use corn, and it doesn't fall apart when I make Tuna salad??? Just a thought.

I'm glad it turned out yummy.... you know some of the best dishes don't "look" that great :lol: .

Please share the recipe if you would..... I miss the pasta salad that they serve at Ruby Tuesdays..... yum yum!!!! :rolleyes:

Ok, here is the dressing recipe, please note that I don't measure a thing! ha So measurements on this are TOTALLY approximate.

1 1/3 c Mayo or miracle whip

1/3 c parmasean cheese

1/2 tsp black pepper

1tsp garlic powder

2tsp sugar

2 tablespoon distilled white vinegar

Mix all those together, taste it and see if it suits your taste, add more of whatever if it doesn't! ha

Mix that in with pasta, veggies can be added also to the pasta salad.

Jessica,

Did you use Rice or Corn pasta? I use Mrs. Leapers too but I use corn, and it doesn't fall apart when I make Tuna salad??? Just a thought.

I'm glad it turned out yummy.... you know some of the best dishes don't "look" that great :lol: .

Please share the recipe if you would..... I miss the pasta salad that they serve at Ruby Tuesdays..... yum yum!!!! :rolleyes:

I used the veggie/rice spirals. I'll have to experiment with some corn pasta at some point. Thanks for the idea.

I also agree, not everything that tastes good LOOKS good! ha

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Tinkyada

Tinkyada

Tinkyada

They also hold shape in a thermos, so they travel well to school lunches, yada, yada, yada.....

steve-o Apprentice

I'll have to jump on this bandwagon too...

Tinkyada is all you'll ever need...don't even bother with other pastas! It's that good.

I tried Mrs Leapers and had the same result you did...it turned into a mushy mess.

I use Tinkyada sometimes, my favorite is really the risomas which is rice and corn. But gets soggy, so not a good idea for pasta salad.

It has great flavor though

-Jessica

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I make pasta salad with Tinkyada spirals and they have never fallen apart on me. They may be overcooked if they are falling apart.

skbird Contributor

I tried Mrs. Leeper's tuna and noodles which was tasty (not a salad) but the leftovers were just a big mush of corn flour and tuna. After that experience I don't think I'd try using for a salad. I have thought about the quinoa pasta but I think that has corn in it too, not good for holding the shape. Every experience with Tinkyada has been very good, very firm pasta.

Mmmmm. Very hungry now.... 4th of July picnic, here I come!

Stephanie

Archived