11 replies to this topic

#1 Loey

Loey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

Has anyone heard of or used a Protein Enzyme Pump for IBS. A colleague of my husband's uses it and was surprised that my GI didn't suggest it. I'm trying to get an appointment with his GI but need a referral. That's a sticky wicket as my only doctor in my new state is my GI.

Loey

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

You could just ask your GI about it and see what he says instead of switching doctors.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

You could just ask your GI about it and see what he says instead of switching doctors.

I still think I want a second opinion. I just need to get a referral and they said it could be from any doctor. The place that was recommended to me has an excellent reputation. My GI isn't open to much that I have to say. I really had to put my foot down to get the capsule endoscopy and that's what showed the ulcer. I hate that this all happened when I moved to a new state. i had really god doctors in NJ. Starting from scratch is a PIA.

Loey

#4 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

Maybe I will bite the bullet and see what he has to say.

Loey

#5 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Maybe I will bite the bullet and see what he has to say.

Loey

If you do, you could get a second opinion on EVERYTHING once you get the referral in place.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

If you do, you could get a second opinion on EVERYTHING once you get the referral in place.

Yep and if he refuses to give you a referral for a second opinion you should switch doctors. No doctor who is a good doctor would object to a second opinion.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#7 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

Yep and if he refuses to give you a referral for a second opinion you should switch doctors. No doctor who is a good doctor would object to a second opinion.

Agreed!

#8 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Thanks and I agree with you. I also think I found another doctor who will do it for me.

Loey

#9 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

I will. I'll have all of my records transferred and bring the results from the tests I had done before I moved.

Thanks!

Loey

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

I will. I'll have all of my records transferred and bring the results from the tests I had done before I moved.

Thanks!

Loey

Even better than just having them transferred is having those complete records sent to you also.

#11 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

Even better than just having them transferred is having those complete records sent to you also.

Hospitals will charge you a fee for your records. The easiest way to avoid additional costs is to ask the new doc to make you a photocopy of the records (or ask the old doc to do so). Avoid having to get things directly from Medical Records if you can - that's how you avoid the fee.

#12 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hospitals will charge you a fee for your records. The easiest way to avoid additional costs is to ask the new doc to make you a photocopy of the records (or ask the old doc to do so). Avoid having to get things directly from Medical Records if you can - that's how you avoid the fee.

Good News! Got a referral from my GI in NJ. I'll still need the records from here (I'll ask to sign a release form) but thank God I can finally switch doctors. The pain is worse and my current GI has done almost nothing but make me feel like it's all in my head!

Loey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: