13 replies to this topic

#1 AZGirl

AZGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

I am feeling terrible tonight and have no idea how I could have been glutened. I had 1 cup of plain yogurt for breakfast followed by dry plain almonds and craisins. For lunch: left over roast beef with veggies that I made, so no chance there, a cup of sugar-free chocolate pudding- I checked the label and finally I took 2 Excedrin Migraine.
I am very diligent so I don't know where I could have messed myself up, but if any of you have an idea please speak up, so I don't do this again.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

I'm sorry you feel so bad, I have heard that craisins are dusted with flour, not for sure.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Ocean Spray Craisins are gluten-free. I'm wondering if it might be the sugar free pudding--aspertame can cause symptoms in some people as can sugar alcohols.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

What brand of yogurt? Activia has a warning on it that it may contain wheat. Also is it possible that you are casein intolerant?
For the almonds did you buy a brand that is not processed with wheat? Many nuts have a warning that they "may contain wheat" or are processed on equipment that also processes wheat. But that warning is optional in the US, so unless you call them and check you don't know. It's like playing russian roulette if you are super-sensitive to cc. Craisins should be okay gluten-wise (I've never seen any with flour dusted on them anyway) HOWEVER dried fruit and nuts can cause cramping and pain, especially if you are in the early stages of healing--those things are especially hard to digest. I would lay off of raw things like that for a while if that's what you are experiencing. Eat soft foods like steamed veggies.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

Ocean Spray states that its beverages and sauces are gluten free, but then gives this disclaimer:

"Do Ocean Spray® products contain gluten?
The protein gluten found in certain grains (wheat, barley, rye and oats or hybrids of these) is a concern for those with Celiac Disease. Based on documentation from our ingredient suppliers, Ocean Spray beverages and sauces are free from this type of gluten. Craisins® Trail Mixes and Craisins® Chocolate Covered Cranberries and Ocean Spray® Oatmeal may contain gluten. If you have a particularly acute sensitivity to gluten in foods, we suggest you consult your physician for his or her recommendation." (http://www.oceanspra...ntact/faqs.aspx)

I would imagine that original Craisins may be produced on the same lines as the products containing gluten, so maybe they could be cross-contaminated? Again, I don't know any of this for sure, but I would definitely give Ocean Spray a call tomorrow and ask them if they can definitively tell you whether or not Original Craisins may or may not contain gluten :)
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

I agree with Patti that the Crans are gluten free. Please check their website (Oceanspray) to verify, or 1-800-662-3263

Not knowing how long you have been on the diet, but it's often recommended that you give up dairy products for a while, until healing can take place. It can often be re-introduced without issue.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 starrytrekchic

starrytrekchic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

What type of chocolate pudding? I can't eat snack pack chocolate pudding cups, and I'm not sure why. As far as I can tell, they're completely gluten free, but I've reacted to them all three times I've tried them.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

I have a bag of chocolate covered Craisins and they do not list gluten in their listing, but rather milk and soy.
Lisa

#9 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

The first offenders I'd be looking at would be the almonds (biggest processing CC risk), then the craisins (I don't know them specifically, but many dried fruit has CC issues), then the pudding (only because it's got some extra additives, if it's flavored and gluten free).

The worst gluten reaction I ever had was to pistachios, actually - same as you, I figured they'd be safe, but woah....BAD reaction. My daughter and I both were very ill, yuck.

Good luck - hope that your reaction passes quickly

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

The first offenders I'd be looking at would be the almonds (biggest processing CC risk), then the craisins (I don't know them specifically, but many dried fruit has CC issues), then the pudding (only because it's got some extra additives, if it's flavored and gluten free).

The worst gluten reaction I ever had was to pistachios, actually - same as you, I figured they'd be safe, but woah....BAD reaction. My daughter and I both were very ill, yuck.

Good luck - hope that your reaction passes quickly

With due respect, do you have any substantiated evidence for your "offenders"? Many people depend on the information found here. Links or citations are welcome.

Many companies have been friends of people with food allergies. Ocean Spray is one of them. As always mentioned here, every one is different. But, please do your research.

Board Rule # 5

http://www.celiac.co...tion=boardrules

* Any claims you make here should be based on legitimate sources, or be expressed as opinion, experience, or inquiry. You should remain on topic and be consistent with the theme of the forum as a whole.
Lisa

#11 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

I am feeling terrible tonight and have no idea how I could have been glutened. I had 1 cup of plain yogurt for breakfast followed by dry plain almonds and craisins. For lunch: left over roast beef with veggies that I made, so no chance there, a cup of sugar-free chocolate pudding- I checked the label and finally I took 2 Excedrin Migraine.
I am very diligent so I don't know where I could have messed myself up, but if any of you have an idea please speak up, so I don't do this again.

I would suspect the aspartame or sweetener in the sugar free pudding. It could also be sulphites if the craisins contained sulphites. Many dried fruits do contain sulphites and these are known to cause headache. I don't have a particular reference for you other than I googled suphites when I had such reactions. Good luck and I hope it passes quickly.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#12 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

I'd suspect the pudding - I have had a very strong reaction to chocolate mousse pudding before. No gluten warning on it, made by a company I trust, so I assume no gluten was intentionally added. But... they do make lots of puddings containing wheat as well, so I think shared lines. They didn't warn about it, but it's fairly obvious that is the case.

Of course, I've also had creme brule puddings by the same company, and those were 100%, so perhaps it was some other ingredient disagreeing with me (I have a bad soya intolerance as well....)
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#13 AZGirl

AZGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

You all are amazing!! Thank you for all the ideas and information!!!

I read the back of the craisen package, which was from WalMart, and it said "may contain traces of wheat." We also have a bag of Ocean Spray that says "Gluten-free" and made in a gluten free facility. I'm pretty sure that must have been it. I haven't been having problems with almonds or the SF pudding packs. I am logging my food and reactions, so maybe somewhere down the road I'll have more solid information about what happened yesterday. I am feeling a lot better today.
I had no idea that my new life would include company phone calls and researching every bite that goes in my mouth, but on the bright side I now know I have some control over how I feel.

#14 AZGirl

AZGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

Okay everyone just a little update. I have been feeling very good for the last few days and again today was struck by gluten unintentionally. Today when reviewing this posting I noticed a common food item- the sugar free pudding pack. I'm still not sure it's the culprit, but I went to Hunt's website to explore and they do not give the SF chocolate pudding a gluten free label. I couldn't find anything in it's ingredients that make me think it has gluten in it, but they do label other puddings in their line as "gluten free."
I know that others have had issues with pudding packs, so for now I think I'm going to avoid them.
Just so you know my day included:
Plain yogurt, a banana, coffee, lemon chicken (homemade), wild rice and green peas.
Oddly my reaction took a little while to occur. I usually know if I am eating something with gluten within the first 3-5 bites. I get very intense stomach spasms right away and the bloating begins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: