9 replies to this topic

#1 aljf

aljf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:08 PM

before i was diagnosed, i used to have diarrhea sometimes. now that i have been diagnosed, i feel like i get it MORE, and not just in reaction to gluten. i get it randomly, and like RIGHT after eating, and i can see pieces of whatever i've just eaten in it.
i know this is so so so gross, but this is the only place i can ask about it.
is this because my system has been "cleaned out" so much? or is it that my celiac disease was worsening as time went on and my body would react like this whether i had stopped eating gluten or not? and if this is happening whether i eat gluten or not, and literally RIGHT after eating, what else could be going on??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

Don't worry, I can SO RELATE TO YOU!!!

I avoid as much as possible salads, fruits with skin, tomatoes, corn, mushrooms. All go through my system basically undigested.

The next time you see your doctor, ask him maybe to investigate the possibility of you having collagenous colitis. After a decade of permanent watery diarrhea, the top celiac guy in Canada finally figured out (by colonoscopy) that I also had collagenous colitis. Google it up, it might sound very familiar to you......

Good Luck!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:27 AM

Add me to this list.... I love salads... bummer. I have been able to achieve some control over the D by using Metamucil or Citracil 2-3 times a day.

Susan

#4 aljf

aljf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:07 AM

i eat salads all the time, so i don't think it's due to them... last night (when i had another "episode") i also had a LOT of fat free whipped cream, which is basically skim milk and sugar. could a lactose issue cause this violent reaction?

#5 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

Yes lactose intolerance could give you the"D".
L
Michigan

#6 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:16 AM

I don't get extreme D all the time, but my food always comes out with undigested parts. Like "oh, there's what I ate for lunch." !
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#7 SueC

SueC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

Does anyone still have floaters after being gluten-free for awhile?? I always thought this was normal..... and after 11 weeks gluten-free they still don't sink! :blink:

Sue
Sue

Diagnosed April 2005 via bloodwork and endoscopy

4 year old daughter diagnosed March 2006 via bloodwork and endoscopy
She was completely asymptomatic

4 year old also diagnosed with Graves disease Sept 2006

#8 Bonnie

Bonnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:10 PM

Sue, so glad you asked that! I have been wondering the same thing. Also been gluten-free 11 weeks. Still chronically constipated and when I do go (with help) - still floaters! Does this ever change?

#9 BamBam

BamBam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Lactose intolerance can definitely be your problem. What happened in my diagnosis was they thought I was lactose intolerant in the beginning cause I had the D all the time - several times a day. So I gave up dairy. It quieted down some but never truly went away. I finally gave up wheat/gluten and my system has quieted down a lot, still have a few problems, but I think everyone gets the D once in awhile. Now that I have given up wheat for good, my lactose intolerance problem may heal, because my intestines are healing and I should be able to digest dairy again at some point. I accidently ate butter a month or two ago, I had some grumblings and gas, but I never had to run to the bathroom like I did in the past.

I would give up all dairy for two weeks and see what happens, also look for dairy ingredients in the foods that you eat, cause it is in a lot of things. I can eat Yoplait and Dannon yogurt with no problem at all.

bambam
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

#10 cgilsing

cgilsing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:47 PM

If I have a dietary acceident I'm usually C for several days, but then all of a sudden I'll have D.....It's a welcomed change by that point and usually I sign that I'm getting over it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: