Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Anyone Else Have This Happen?

10 posts in this topic

before i was diagnosed, i used to have diarrhea sometimes. now that i have been diagnosed, i feel like i get it MORE, and not just in reaction to gluten. i get it randomly, and like RIGHT after eating, and i can see pieces of whatever i've just eaten in it.

i know this is so so so gross, but this is the only place i can ask about it.

is this because my system has been "cleaned out" so much? or is it that my celiac disease was worsening as time went on and my body would react like this whether i had stopped eating gluten or not? and if this is happening whether i eat gluten or not, and literally RIGHT after eating, what else could be going on??

Ads by Google:

Don't worry, I can SO RELATE TO YOU!!!

I avoid as much as possible salads, fruits with skin, tomatoes, corn, mushrooms. All go through my system basically undigested.

The next time you see your doctor, ask him maybe to investigate the possibility of you having collagenous colitis. After a decade of permanent watery diarrhea, the top celiac guy in Canada finally figured out (by colonoscopy) that I also had collagenous colitis. Google it up, it might sound very familiar to you......

Good Luck!

Karen

Add me to this list.... I love salads... bummer. I have been able to achieve some control over the D by using Metamucil or Citracil 2-3 times a day.

Susan

i eat salads all the time, so i don't think it's due to them... last night (when i had another "episode") i also had a LOT of fat free whipped cream, which is basically skim milk and sugar. could a lactose issue cause this violent reaction?

Yes lactose intolerance could give you the"D".

L

I don't get extreme D all the time, but my food always comes out with undigested parts. Like "oh, there's what I ate for lunch." !

Does anyone still have floaters after being gluten-free for awhile?? I always thought this was normal..... and after 11 weeks gluten-free they still don't sink! :blink:

Sue

Sue, so glad you asked that! I have been wondering the same thing. Also been gluten-free 11 weeks. Still chronically constipated and when I do go (with help) - still floaters! Does this ever change?

Lactose intolerance can definitely be your problem. What happened in my diagnosis was they thought I was lactose intolerant in the beginning cause I had the D all the time - several times a day. So I gave up dairy. It quieted down some but never truly went away. I finally gave up wheat/gluten and my system has quieted down a lot, still have a few problems, but I think everyone gets the D once in awhile. Now that I have given up wheat for good, my lactose intolerance problem may heal, because my intestines are healing and I should be able to digest dairy again at some point. I accidently ate butter a month or two ago, I had some grumblings and gas, but I never had to run to the bathroom like I did in the past.

I would give up all dairy for two weeks and see what happens, also look for dairy ingredients in the foods that you eat, cause it is in a lot of things. I can eat Yoplait and Dannon yogurt with no problem at all.

bambam

If I have a dietary acceident I'm usually C for several days, but then all of a sudden I'll have D.....It's a welcomed change by that point and usually I sign that I'm getting over it...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Gluten And Vertigo
      Christiana, I just felt to look at the site. I thought I had clicked to get email alerts. But, actually my email has been 'fritzing' sort of.  Thank you for your note. It is important for my diagnosis. I was diagnosed with chondritis of the collar bone a few months before the fall that resulted in the immobile right arm. The osteo surgeon gave me a cortosol shot that helped a lot. That MRI showed a rotator cuff tear nearly 2/3 thru the strip of tissue that connects the muscle tissue to the bone and makes the shoulder 'rotate' in place.  That was almost a year ago now. I have been learning to be very very mindful about how I use that arm, when I reach, carefully, how I rest it and sleep position. Interesting that I did see a search answer that said ' they are saying now that there could be a connection btn rotator cuff tear and inflammed collar bone. My primary doctor also said I could have an inflammed chest wall that resulted in the chondritis. I remembered that word from a child's diagnosis years ago. That was in his knees and was treated by this same osteo surgeon, by casting the legs over summer holiday, which ended in healed x-rays. That was osteo chondritis desicans. He said then, 'if it is horses, we would have to shoot them.'  I tried to get a blood test three weeks ago for the same antibody we were treating that child with thru his then pediatritian, for rheumatoid antibodies/ recurring strep throat. I had gotten a 'sort of' diagnosis, or agreement from that primary care doctor, allowing me to get the recommended antibiotics (one of the few treatments that it is allowed, because of the need to keep the hearing). But, his new nurse did not relay the request properly. I hate doctor office politics. I hope this newbie is not going to mess with this doctor's little family as well. Last month when researching Meniere's one of the things listed about it was that autoimmune disease is connected to it also. I was hurt before the falls and the inflammation and the collar bone chondritis and the rotator cuff tear. I was very very concerned about it setting off some kind of autoimmune inflammation reaction or worse that can happen when tissue cells are being repaired rapidly and it felt like lots of toxins were being cleansed and processed over a period of many months. The only similar feeling I have ever experienced was when I had a 'deep tissue massage' to release and cleanse a cortisol 'hump' I had after a prolonged period of high family stress situation. Right now, my primary (an O.D. , or osteopath) is working with me. There are two ENTs in this area he offered for Meniere's and has given me Physical Therapy at his complex for Balance Therapy. It is great that that therapist has a MIL that is also dealing with Meniere's and getting exercises from a major hospital complex in the city. I was able to give her some celiac's diagnosis information. Sounded like her MIL and her son were likely to be candidates.  I did not know what the definition was of the term 'vestibular' as in vestibular migraine, another connection to Meniere's. I just typed www.bing.com and then typed 'definition of vestibular.' That had information about the connections btn hearing and sitting positions. I will look up costochondritis. Thank you, again. Best wishes, Anne
    • What Are Your Brands & Flavors Of Gluten Free Ice Cream ?
      I don't worry about the same facility, but I check if it is on the same lines. I think it is usually a good idea to find out if things are made on shared lines. And if they are made on the same line as gluten-containing products how good is the cleaning in between? Chocolate is a good example of this. For example, I contacted a company whose chocolate I used to eat before being diagnosed and they outright told me they are not good about cleaning on shared lines and it is not safe for allergies or celiac. I have had this response from other companies as well (especially when it comes to chocolate sadly). I think this is why Godiva is not safe. Its just a good idea to check.
    • TRUSTING OTHERS about GLUTEN! how do you know if someone has used gluten free flour?
      Wow you all have more balls than I do. I've been gluten free since 2007 and I'm still afraid of offending people. It gives me lots of troubles, really. I'm more like rockstarkate I guess...the "people pleasing" aspect.  I love how you all just have the flat out rule I Will Not Eat It Unless I or a Celiac Made it. (Or a trusted family member).  I still simper and grovel and cringe and apologetically turn things away.  People still put dishes in my face and say "This should be gluten free..."  and I have to awkwardly not eat it and then seem rude.  I've done the whole...checking the bottles thing too.  I do try to dart out of things more though now. I volunteered in other countries in recent years and I felt as vulnerable as all heck, having to rely on them to make food, as well as definitely feeling like I offended people who didn't get it at all. I was feeling brave when I signed up for those but after the second time I was like okay, the fear/anxiety/stress about the food is too much. I managed to dodge out of getting sick, and for the most part people humored me...but it was pretty difficult because I don't like offending people, especially other cultures, with them trying to be nice and make food for me...pretty sure I did offend people as well as annoy many others.  Anyway...no OP, you are not alone. For sure I have trust issues eating other people's food. They say they know but I do truly doubt they are as strict as I would be.   A few times I will still brave eating something...like some little mozzarella balls with vinegar...though, I did still look at the labels.  Someone had to give me a persuasive speech and show me all ingredients (just salt and pepper) after making me chicken wings once. I do tell people, basically, NOT to make me stuff. But they still do.  Another time a friend had worked really hard and was having a terrible time and offered me a burger patty when I arrived, assuring me it was gluten free. I knew I hadn't been there to watch whether she used the "bun spatula" on it or not...but I just didn't feel like giving her a fight about it since she was having a rough time and hosts like to feel they are feeding guests, blah blah. So I ate it. And got glutened. And wailed and gnashed my teeth haha. Lesson learned.  I need to stick to my guns more. I just always feel like I'm being too "difficult" as it is. But...sigh.  It is refreshing for me to read these empowered no BS responses though. You all remind me of where I'm coming from, and not that I'm just being some kind of high maintenance, rude, crazy person. You'd think after, what, nine years now, I wouldn't still be bothered by it...
    • Mashed potato soup during healing
      I was on pretty much a liquid diet for 8 months waiting for my nausea to go away completely. I mostly had mashed potato soup, 1/2 fat ice cream (mostly whey, not milk), chocolate drink (no added milk) and gummy vitamins. The soup tasted yummy and I'm still alive so I figured I'd share it for people not feeling well in the beginning. I've been noticing people with alot of trouble keeping food down in recent posts. I couldn't have milk or eggs, but the cheese in the recipe didn't bother me at all. Notice the lack of spices. Makes it easy on the stomach.   Mashed potato soup: Boiled yukon gold potatoes (5lb bag) 1 package cauliflower, steamed 4-6 slices of Land O'Lakes white American cheese 4 tablespoons butter salt 16 cups homemade chicken broth, salted   Chop steamed cauliflower into teensy bits (pureed is better). Put in mixer with butter, cheese and a potato or two. Blend while slowly adding potatoes. Keep whipping for a few minutes to insure the cauliflower and potatoes are not lumpy at all. Salt to taste.   Combine 1/2 cup mashed potatoes to 1 cup salted chicken broth. Mix with spoon until mashed potatoes have completely dissolved. Enjoy. Individual servings can be frozen.   Homemade chicken broth: makes 8 - 10 cups of broth   1 organic chicken (regular chickens are too big) 1 stalk celery 1 carrot 1 large bay leaf 1/2 package fresh thyme from the  herb section of the vegetables area   Put all ingredients in pressure cooker along with 1.5 liters water. Bring to pressure. Cook for 35 minutes. Separate broth from solids. Separate broth from fat. Add ridiculous quantities of salt until it tastes like soup. Sorry I use a salt grinder so I don't have precise salt quantities.    
    • Celiac.com: Gluten-free options increasing to meet demand
      “Over the last 10 years there's been an explosion of gluten-free products,” said Shelley Case, a registered dietitian specializing in celiac disease and ... View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
    • ukuleleerika

Hello! I am new to this Celiac website... Is there anyone out there with Celiac AND extensive food allergies? My allergies include shellfish, dairy, eggs, cantaloupe, kiwi, mango, nuts, oranges, red dye, and more I can't think of. I went to the allergist about a year ago to see why I wasn't feeling well, and once everything was eliminated, I still didn't feel well. We did more testing to find out I had celiac as well as allergies to cattle as well as rye grass (I live on a farm basically). This was back in January 2016. I recently had my endoscopy with the gastroenterologist a week ago. I have no idea what to do or what to eat... So fish and potatoes for me!
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ajrosales