31 replies to this topic

#1 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

So now there's soy flour in the Betty Crocker cake mixes? I know they weren't using soy flour when they first put them out, I would have seen it in the ingredient list and said no way. I saw the may contain trace mention but after trying one and not being bothered I moved on. But like a fool I stopped reading the ingredient list on their cake mixes because I knew they were gluten free.

So when did they slip the soy flour in there and WHY? It also explains why I can't handle the Bisquick either, the slop over on the production lines is probably pretty intense, and with the protein content in soy flour there's no way I could not react.

Thanks for nothing Betty Crocker. Really, nothing.
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:37 AM

Your not alone in your frustration with this. I'm in the same boat. Oh well back to Gluten Free Pantry. Glad in my local store they are about the same price.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

I don't have a problem with soy (for now, anyway). It sure is a sneaky little devil. It is lurking in all sorts of places it doesn't belong (salsa? gum or candy?) :o

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

I just sent them a sad little letter about not being able to have a BC cake for my birthday anymore. :P
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

I had no idea :angry: Well, thanks for the heads up....and yep, back to Gluten Free Pantry for me too.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

When Bisquick gluten free came out I did not get excited, because I needed to check what was in it first. When I found the following:

" Bisquick gluten free Pancake And Baking Mix ingredients: rice flour, sugar, baking soda, modified potato starch, salt and Xanthan Gum. The package says it may contain soy ingredients."

I just scratched it from my possibles list, both for the soy and the potato :(
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

That's the real frustrating thing for me, Betty Crocker is it in this town. The organic store went out of business back in February so the nearest brick and mortar with gluten-free mixes is now an hour away down a mountain road. That's why a mainstream product that was gluten-free was so wonderful to me; no more mail order in bulk off the net. Now it's back to 6 boxes at a time. Double grrrrr.

And yes, I sent them a lovely little email yesterday too. I can't wait to hear how they rationalize the ingredient change.

Your not alone in your frustration with this. I'm in the same boat. Oh well back to Gluten Free Pantry. Glad in my local store they are about the same price.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#8 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

There needs to be MASSIVE COMPLAINING about this.

I am a scratch baker and there is no reason to put soy flour in ANYTHING, let alone gluten free processed foods. Somebody really has their heads up their bum on this one.

The last thing any of us need is to have somebody use one of these soy contaminated mixes, and then try to serve it to us as a safe gluten free item, when so many react to it. :angry: My spouse made me some for my birthday recently, and we couldn't figure out what it was that had me slightly feeling puny the next few days because I had eaten nothing unusual - but I don't think I read the label to double check, (he held up the box and said he had bought the Gluten Free mix we had had before) thinking cross contamination could be a problem - I do remember pulling the box out of the trash to look at it, the next day, and it had something like "may contain traces." It must have been quite a trace because I am not that sensitive.

So the next week I'm retesting myself on butter with homemade quickbread and having no problems.

What a pia. Yo, Bette Crocker, did you miss the memo that a lot of celiacs and gluten intolerant people can't do soy products ?

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:41 AM

There needs to be MASSIVE COMPLAINING about this.

I am a scratch baker and there is no reason to put soy flour in ANYTHING, let alone gluten free processed foods. Somebody really has their heads up their bum on this one.

The last thing any of us need is to have somebody use one of these soy contaminated mixes, and then try to serve it to us as a safe gluten free item, when so many react to it. :angry: My spouse made me some for my birthday recently, and we couldn't figure out what it was that had me slightly feeling puny the next few days because I had eaten nothing unusual - but I don't think I read the label to double check, (he held up the box and said he had bought the Gluten Free mix we had had before) thinking cross contamination could be a problem - I do remember pulling the box out of the trash to look at it, the next day, and it had something like "may contain traces." It must have been quite a trace because I am not that sensitive.

So the next week I'm retesting myself on butter with homemade quickbread and having no problems.

What a pia. Yo, Bette Crocker, did you miss the memo that a lot of celiacs and gluten intolerant people can't do soy products ?

Hey, Takala, I live with this all the time. Folks keep saying, "It's gluten free. Everything here is gluten free!!" I say to them, "That is just the first question. I assume (if you are at a gluten free expo. e,g.) it doesn't have gluten. What DOES it have in it?" They look at me like I'm nuts :blink: Some of them say, in response to soy, "I wouldn't put that muck in anything!", which I love, but then they do use potato starch :( Seems like everyone has to use potato starch, except Namaste, and Food for Life. :rolleyes: So I bake from scratch too.

And any time I eat out and eat something that is "gluten free" in the baking line, I take my Lectin Lock along with me and take a couple of tabs if I dare partake of the product, because I know it will have soy or potato in it. PIA is right!! :(
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

Yep, soy and potato, so it's out for me too. I tried them a few times when they first came out but had to stop them. Most gluten-free products are out for that matter. I guess they all use potato because it is cheap. Soy and nightshade intolerance makes for a pretty short list of processed gluten-free foods that can be eaten.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#11 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

Last I looked the mixes said GLUTEN free. I'm sorry for those who can't tolerate soy or potatoes, but nowhere do I see the mixes guaranteeing soy or nightshade free. Most celiacs I know tolerate soy just fine, and, yes, a product that is free of wheat, rye, barley, and oats but has soy is in fact gluten free. If a mainstream product had to avoid every intolerance or allergy I've seen among celiacs, it would be gluten, corn, soy, dairy, nightshade, nut, shellfish, MSG, artificial coloring, and legume free. And I'm sure I'm missing a few.

richard

#12 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

I agree with lovegrov. They can't leave out everything that someone might be sensitive to. That leaves pretty much nothing. We just have to resign ourselves to reading labels every time and realize that we are (bottom line) responsible for ourselves.

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

The point of the thread is that the ingredients changed--I doubt soy in the mix would have been a topic of conversation if they had included it originally. Those of us with additional sensitivities are very used to scanning ingredient lists for more than gluten--many mixes and prepared gluten-free foods have things that we can't have and that's fine.

I appreciate Violet letting us know about the change.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

The point of the thread is that the ingredients changed--

Exactly. Why add in a major allergen if you have a formula that works without it?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#15 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

Exactly. Why add in a major allergen if you have a formula that works without it?

Obviously I can't answer that for certain but I can guess. The soy flour night be cheaper than something else they were using. Or, the gluten-free mix might not have been selling well enough and a taste/texture test showed that those who tried it liked the soy flour recipe better.

My original post was reacting in part to this part of a post -- "The last thing any of us need is to have somebody use one of these soy contaminated mixes, and then try to serve it to us as a safe gluten free item, when so many react to it..."

The thing is that even if there IS soy contamination, the product is indeed safe as far as gluten is concerned. Hence my reaction that Betty Crocker isn't claiming it's soy free, only gluten free. From what I've seen, it's really just a very small percentage of people with celiac who also can't have soy.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: