35 replies to this topic

#31 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

I wanna say it's getting easier, but it's not. I was diagnosed with celiacs in january, and in march, found out I was allergic to dairy, eggs, all citrus, all poultry, celery, strawberries and hazelnuts. This year I went to one party. I used to average about 15 a year. I've somehow grown tired of all my friends, so I barely talk to them, if at all. I've even grown tired of my boyfriend who seems to think i'm making it all up. I'm wondering if anyone else has inadvertently seperated themselves from the rest of the world. And any ideas on how to rebuild.

I went through some personality changes as I recovered and some of my friendships shifted around. I also had a broken engagement when the fellow realized how much I had changed. It turned out to be for the best. I started new hobbies and made some new friends that way. I also throw my own parties, so that I know I have something safe to eat.

To rebuild, get out of the house. Take up a sport, go to dance classes, take a painting class, volunteer for charity, whatever sounds appealing and involves a few other people you can meet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 BethM55

BethM55

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

My family threw me a birthday party recently ... and had cake, ice cream, punch.. and nothing..NOTHING ..for me to eat. What? I just sat there and watched everyone else eat..

I have no idea what to say, other than {{{hugs}}} and a belated happy birthday! I hope you treated yourself to a gluten free cake. Shame on your family for being so insensitive.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#33 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:34 AM

I went through some personality changes as I recovered and some of my friendships shifted around. I also had a broken engagement when the fellow realized how much I had changed. It turned out to be for the best. I started new hobbies and made some new friends that way. I also throw my own parties, so that I know I have something safe to eat.

To rebuild, get out of the house. Take up a sport, go to dance classes, take a painting class, volunteer for charity, whatever sounds appealing and involves a few other people you can meet.

Coincidently I have done what you suggested and started taking painting classes. I also tutor a dyslexic child for free one day a week. I'm too sick to work but for at least two days a week I feel normal.

Wishing everyone a HEALTHY and happy gluten-free holiday,
Loey Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

My eyes just cannot avoid the sight of wheaten bread and cakes. They gloom at me, they stare at me, they watch me very closely, they can't wait for me to give in and have their opportunity to attack my insides. That decadent looking piece of cake; should I eat it or should I not? If I do... It will eat ME! Seriously, I can tell when foods are DEFINITELY NOT gluten free and there is always a "HATE" expression engrained on the texture of wheaten cakes and breads. It's a temptation we all need to overcome. And a self-absorption I need to avoid.

Socially, I just try not to bring up the subject if it doesn't come up. I tend to not volunteer unless I'm asked. Too many variables here and there. :rolleyes:

That being said, don't get me wrong, I'm always more than happy to talk about it ANY TIME with ANY ONE if it comes up. :D

#35 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

I wanna say it's getting easier, but it's not. I was diagnosed with celiacs in january, and in march, found out I was allergic to dairy, eggs, all citrus, all poultry, celery, strawberries and hazelnuts. This year I went to one party. I used to average about 15 a year. I've somehow grown tired of all my friends, so I barely talk to them, if at all. I've even grown tired of my boyfriend who seems to think i'm making it all up. I'm wondering if anyone else has inadvertently seperated themselves from the rest of the world. And any ideas on how to rebuild.

I also have laid low and, I think because of recovery, have been too exhausted to invest in relationships that are wearing. It has gotten somewhat better especially as the diet kicks in. But, I hear ya....

My family threw me a birthday party recently ... and had cake, ice cream, punch.. and nothing..NOTHING ..for me to eat. What? I just sat there and watched everyone else eat..

That sucks! :( Yes, and I hope you did treat yourself.. you know, that new purse.. :P
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#36 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

I think depression is part of celiac disease, and with that comes self pity and fatigue and all sorts of self-defeating attitudes.

The one thing I use as a mantra is that I have a disease. A disease that is controlled by what I eat. How lucky are we that we can eat so many foods and not pay for really expensive treatments or drugs to feel better? How lucky are we that we found out before it turned into full blown MS, Lupus, or other autoimmune diseases?

It's perfectly normal to feel bad about having to cope with this disease. But we're still lucky. We found out. :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: