arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: gluten-free Diet - Easy Or Hard

• Please log in to reply

Poll: GF Diet: Easy or Hard, Broken Down by Years on Diet (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Select one of the following statements that is closest to being true for you:

1. The gluten-free diet is relatively easy and I have been gluten free for more than three years. (18 votes [23.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

2. The gluten-free diet is relatively easy and I have been gluten free for more than one year but less than three years. (13 votes [17.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.11%

3. The gluten-free diet is relatively easy and I have been gluten free for less than one year. (20 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

4. The gluten-free diet is relatively hard and I have been gluten free for more than three years. (4 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. The gluten-free diet is relatively hard and I have been gluten free for more than one year but less than three years. (5 votes [6.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.58%

6. The gluten-free diet is relatively hard and I have been gluten free for less than one year. (16 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

46 replies to this topic

#1 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Fairly straightforward poll here about whether you find the gluten free diet hard or easy and how long you've been on it. I realize that this is a simplification of the situation - that's the whole point. This isn't a "I find the gluten free diet convenient or not" sort of question, but rather "in the sum total of your life (not just the holidays, work, family gatherings, or travel, but on average 365 days of the year), is it relatively hard or relatively easy". Pick whatever answer is closest to true for you, and then explain away in a comment! :)

I wanted to add: if it *is* relatively hard for you, please say so!! We all have different life situations and personalities that will play into whether or not we find this particular thing in our life hard. Let other people get a good honest feel for what real people dealing with this in their real lives think.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

I'm coming up on 1 year gluten free. The food is pretty easy to figure out and do. Other people and life situations are the only somewhat hard thing, but I think I've learned how to be proactive enough that I don't have many problems come up anymore. I even went to my first holiday party recently where I couldn't eat a single thing. I kept a drink in my hands at all times and talked to lots of people and not one person asked me why I wasn't eating (it was an appetizer and dessert only party). In fact the issue of food didn't even come up until I went to leave and they tried to get me to take some cookies for the road. I just politely said no thanks, I can't eat those and left it at that (for all they know I'm tryign to lose weight, LOL). Had they pushed I *might* have felt the need to explain more or take them for my husband, but no one pushed and it was a wonderful evening.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Rearranging my entire lifestyle was no picnic, but once I figured that out, the diet is really straightforward.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

It will be one year for me at the end of this month. As long as I can control food purchases and prep or can rely on someone I trust (my husband, my parents)- about 95% of the time- it's easy. The other 5% is sometimes a challenge but it's worth it.

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

I have been dxed for a year but had to wait 2 more months for the endo. I find it easy at home. I don't even think about it except if I'm trying to make gluten pasta for the boys and gluten-free for me. I have to think to keep everything straight or enlist a glutenous helper. Or make gluten-free for all. Going out and people who want to go to restaurants are the hardest things to deal with. Also, parties where everyone stands around the food and munches.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'm gluten free less than one year and I voted relatively easy. I eat at home almost every meal now. It wasn't hard figuring out that there were lots of foods available to eat, and the wonder was those foods made me feel so good. Traveling has been a challenge. I really fought with my husband to stay home for TG and Xmas and on the surface I think I just thought it was about saving money and laying low. But honestly I think I just couldn't face the hassle and the near certainty that I'd get sick somewhere along the line.

My 7 year old is recently gluten/dairy/corn free. Hasn't been a challenge at home because I've done the legwork. She was on board with the diet because she was soooooo sick by the time we pinpointed what was making her sick. But for the life of me I cannot convince other people to NOT FEED MY KID. Everyone is well meaning, but every time somebody else has her they give her something she's not supposed to eat even though I have sent food along and instructions to only feed her what I've sent. She needs to get better at refusing food, but it's hard when an adult tells you something is safe (rice milk for example...not dairy, true, but not gluten free) So as long as everything is under my control it seems pretty easy. If I was traveling more or being forced to eat out I might have voted "hard."

#7 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

I voted more than one year, less than three and relatively easy. I cook most dinners myself, I have a few trusted restaurants I go to, and I bring a lunch to work daily. I pack Larabars in my purse for emergencies. So 90% of the time I find the diet easy to follow.

#8 Kay DH

Kay DH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

Mine was a year in November. Cooking and eating at home is pretty easy, creative, and fun. I voted hard just because of how my diet has affected some work and social friendships, problems with eating out, and it is harder than other diets. My friends sometimes exclude me from gatherings because they "don't have any thing I can eat", even tho I bring my own food. The diet becomes easier and more automatic through time. :rolleyes:

#9 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

I have been glutenfree since Valentine's Day 2004. Once I got my husband to understand it, I found it to be a very easy diet to follow. Feeling so much better has helped!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#10 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

gluten-free-Easy(after the initial learning curve)

Managing diabetes with diet alone and multiple food allergies along with being gluten-free-Hard- doable, effective, worth it but hard.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

Three years in, gluten free is a piece of gluten free cake. :lol: But oh, the other-things free :P Now that is hard.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

After 3 years, it's pretty easy to recognize gluten in foods. It's also easy to find regular foods by big-name companies in the grocery store that come gluten-free - like canned chili or jarred spaghetti sauce. But, for me, going soy, dairy, and corn free was much harder because most processed food has at least one of those ingredients.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#13 deborahbgkelly

deborahbgkelly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

Gluten free is actually not all that difficult other than learning the various names for it. However, I am also soy and dairy free. Being soy-free is much harder! This is especially true because many gluten-free foods are not soy free. Some aren't even dairy free.

#14 deborahbgkelly

deborahbgkelly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

I'm gluten free less than one year and I voted relatively easy. I eat at home almost every meal now. It wasn't hard figuring out that there were lots of foods available to eat, and the wonder was those foods made me feel so good. Traveling has been a challenge. I really fought with my husband to stay home for TG and Xmas and on the surface I think I just thought it was about saving money and laying low. But honestly I think I just couldn't face the hassle and the near certainty that I'd get sick somewhere along the line.

My 7 year old is recently gluten/dairy/corn free. Hasn't been a challenge at home because I've done the legwork. She was on board with the diet because she was soooooo sick by the time we pinpointed what was making her sick. But for the life of me I cannot convince other people to NOT FEED MY KID. Everyone is well meaning, but every time somebody else has her they give her something she's not supposed to eat even though I have sent food along and instructions to only feed her what I've sent. She needs to get better at refusing food, but it's hard when an adult tells you something is safe (rice milk for example...not dairy, true, but not gluten free) So as long as everything is under my control it seems pretty easy. If I was traveling more or being forced to eat out I might have voted "hard."

Is this all rice milk or a certain brand? My mom's partner drinks it and she has been gluten-free for years. If it is all rice milk that mignt explain some recent tummy upsets. Please fill me in. Thanks!

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

I passed my 8th anniversary gluten free last month. At first it was incredibly difficult for me, in part because I was so very sick for so long and had no energy, could barely walk or think and was in constant pain. The thought that I would have to make everything from scratch was quite distressing as I barely had the strength to throw together even a simple meal. Melt downs while shopping were common for the first month or two. Within a couple months though as I healed and the constant pain went away and I got stronger it got easier. It also got so much easier once I found things like Gluten Free Pantry and Pamela's Bisquit mix etc. and realized I didn't have to be a chemist to make a loaf of bread. I will admit having a Wegmans closeby makes it easier.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: